• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 174 Axys is 442 lbs...

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Idk why you try to compare mountain sleds to what happens at Jackson Hole. It's not like a stock any sled at the races have anything but race circuit setups in them. If you put a great mountain setup and took it to Jackson You'd prolly end up near the bottom of all the time slips, of course depending on the day if anybody is even making it. Still it's a really odd thing to compare.

What the big difference ???? ....You might be surprised to know that many hillclimb sleds (Stock Class) are used for backcountry sleds setup the same ...... You need a long track, your clutched with gobs of low and mid-range grunt some like narrow ski stance some like wider ... A stock Polaris 800 driven by a woman went over the top this year.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I'm not trying to argue. But here is my opinion.

Be clear on what you are defining a hillclimb race sled as. Chassis changes? Shock changes? Front end changes? Different rear?

A stock mtn sled can be considered a race sled but I don't think for free riding you would want a modded hillclimb sled mainly something with different front and rear suspension setups

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I just saying you can take a mountain right from the box and enter into the stock class of a hillclimb event ... Which is a complement as to how well the mountain sleds run right from the box.

DPG

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
What the big difference ???? ....You might be surprised to know that many hillclimb sleds (Stock Class) are used for backcountry sleds setup the same ...... You need a long track, your clutched with gobs of low and mid-range grunt some like narrow ski stance some like wider ... A stock Polaris 800 driven by a woman went over the top this year.

I raced a lot and went to a lot of events not racing over the years and I'm surprised you think that. The top fastest stock sleds are not out of the box sorry but that's not how it works. Gearing, clutching, suspension/shocks, setup etc. Do you remember the first stock Arctic 440 to make it up Jackson? They didn't bring it there from the stock Box Lol

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I raced a lot and went to a lot of events not racing over the years and I'm surprised you think that. The top fastest stock sleds are not out of the box sorry but that's not how it works. Gearing, clutching, suspension/shocks, setup etc. Do you remember the first stock Arctic 440 to make it up Jackson? They didn't bring it there from the stock Box Lol

Stock motor, stock suspension, stock track, stock ski's, stock exhaust, stock chassis run in the "stock class" .. 98% of the sled is bone stock except for clutching .... And believe it or not theses stock sleds especially Poo & Cat are going over the top consistently.

DPG

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Stock motor, stock suspension, stock track, stock ski's, stock exhaust, stock chassis run in the "stock class" .. 98% of the sled is bone stock except for clutching .... And believe it or not theses stock sleds especially Poo & Cat are going over the top consistently.

DPG

I remember seeing that the winner of the stock 800 class this year was a high mark. That dosen't sound like it went over the top to me.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008

DPG

Is there a extra grade for going over the top? No it's all about time slips.. Maybe misunderstand what I mean. I know what stock class rules are but what I'm saying is you don't pull a stock sled out of a box and go win at a real event. They change a lot of stuff like I said in my previous post. Comparing how a sled climbs a icy high climb event has zero relevance on how a mountain sled performs in the backcountry. Obviously I know you can ride I just don't get why you keep talking about the comparison. I Pm'd you and never heard from ya.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Yes, if you have the slowest time but you go over the top and the guy with the fastest time is 10 yards short of the top. The guy going over the top wins.

Some years the hill is icy and some years it not ... Every year however is in the dirt and maintaining traction is the key weather your climbing in a event or climbing in the backcountry momentum & traction is momentum & traction.

DPG

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Yes, if you have the slowest time but you go over the top and the guy with the fastest time is 10 yards short of the top. The guy going over the top wins.

Some years the hill is icy and some years it not ... Every year however is in the dirt and maintaining traction is the key weather your climbing in a event or climbing in the backcountry momentum & traction is momentum & traction.

DPG

Lol if you don't make it you don't get a time you get a mark. if you think guys that win just show up on their stock outa the box sleds then you'd be wrong.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
To qualify to run in the finals rides get timed. The top sleds with the fastest time qualify to the finals of there class.

DPG

And Eveything that runs in the finals in the stock class at a real event aren't stock outa the box. Those ones ran on Saturday and they didn't qualify.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
Here are the results from the last open mod hillclimb race. The difference from 1st to 2nd could have been a simple look over the shoulder during the run.
Anyone who is winning in the stock class, is changing clutching, valve code specs in the shocks, and suspension adjustments at a minimum for each individual race course. The attention to detail for the entire sled is maintained at a very high level. It is that simple.

IMG_2880.jpg

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Go to RMSHA.COM click on "points" click on "2016" scroll right until you get to "Stock 600" or "Stock 800" point .... I was posting a score sheet for the "stock class"

DPG

Premium Features