• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

300 KTM will it work?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have never even seen a snow bike on the hill but looks like a good idea for those setup snow days? What are the ups and downs,Do they sidehill set up snow better and will a 300 2 stroke work one?Any info about these will be helpfull. Thanks

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
The nice part the bikes is you don't need a good powder day to have a blast but I am a powder hog when I was on the demo ride still had more fun in the powder when we were up high.

On the sidehill you have to put 110% of your trust in the ski and even with dipping up-hill bar on the steep side hills it never washed out in the harder stuff down low but with some powder and it does not take much it helps smooth things out for carving and such.

As far as the 300 I think it would do fine although a BB package may be nice to give you more tq on the low end. The 450's did not have one problem with the power end of things infact I was hitting the rev limiter from time to time in 3rd gear going uphill.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The nice part the bikes is you don't need a good powder day to have a blast but I am a powder hog when I was on the demo ride still had more fun in the powder when we were up high.

On the sidehill you have to put 110% of your trust in the ski and even with dipping up-hill bar on the steep side hills it never washed out in the harder stuff down low but with some powder and it does not take much it helps smooth things out for carving and such.

As far as the 300 I think it would do fine although a BB package may be nice to give you more tq on the low end. The 450's did not have one problem with the power end of things infact I was hitting the rev limiter from time to time in 3rd gear going uphill.
So what setup would You suggest, I know nothing about this

T

turbo99

Mar 16, 2008
tacoma,wa
i ride with a guy that has a 300 with explorer kit on does just fine. there kit robs all the power before it gets to the ground. Timbersleds setup clams less drag = more power to the ground. i also have a 650 berg with a 2moto kit on it. it does well but doesnt like the powder very much. Timbersled all the way two words appoach angle

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Turbo if that 300 did ok with the other kit then on the Timbersled it would do just fine as that approach angle and setup was worlds apart from the 2moto we had with us he was pinned in the powder in the steep stuff. I could stop were he was stuck and take off without even getting on it much.

T

turbo99

Mar 16, 2008
tacoma,wa
ya it would work just fine. i also have a older ktm 550 2stroke it pulls like a freight train with the explorer kit on. cant wait to test the timbersleds kit.

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
Just thought I would bring this back to the top. We run KTM 300 XC's off road and the track all summer. Wondering if ayone had an issue with the pipe running cold in the snow, did it need a pipe wrap to hold enough heat to make power all day? Any other issues with the way the 2s powerband vs. a 4s? I hate to spend the money on one of these and find out I have to get into a 4s to make it work.... Thanks!

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
there is a guy on here that says his buddies 300 does better than his 525 4 stroke, go for it! timbersled.com

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
there is a guy on here that says his buddies 300 does better than his 525 4 stroke, go for it! timbersled.com

Tomk is talking about me. I ride with a guy that has an 08 300 xcw and it does so much better than either one of us could have imagined, we are both running Timbersled kits. His bike makes my 525 look stupid in the deep powder. The 300 just seems to float a lot better. In the setup snow I think I got an edge on him but he goes everywhere I go. I like his 300 so much that I bought one last week.

If anybody is looking for a really clean well cared for 06 525 EXC shoot me a pm.

Here is my new addition.

IMG_0112-1.jpg

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Tomk is talking about me. I ride with a guy that has an 08 300 xcw and it does so much better than either one of us could have imagined, we are both running Timbersled kits. His bike makes my 525 look stupid in the deep powder. The 300 just seems to float a lot better. In the setup snow I think I got an edge on him but he goes everywhere I go. I like his 300 so much that I bought one last week.

If anybody is looking for a really clean well cared for 06 525 EXC shoot me a pm.

Here is my new addition.

IMG_0112-1.jpg
Your kidding? I though the torque from the 4 stroke would do better. I have an 09 300 XCW and didnt know how it would work.You switched to the 300 and prefer it over the 525?Is it the power band or weight advantage?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Your kidding? I though the torque from the 4 stroke would do better. I have an 09 300 XCW and didnt know how it would work.You switched to the 300 and prefer it over the 525?Is it the power band or weight advantage?

I honestly thought that the 525 was going to be the ultimate for the MH kit but my buddy's 300 is really impressing me. I do think the biggest factor is the weight, the 525 is really heavy in the front and it sinks in the lighter snow. That might be remedied by using a gen II ski but thats just speculation. If I was buying a bike just for snobiking I would buy a new FI 450 or try a CR500. I am personally thinking about picking up a CR500 this fall to try on the snow but if I don't I know the 300 will do well too. Prior to buying my snobike kit I wanted to switch to a 300 because of how much faster I am on it while single track riding and I was just going to keep the 525 for snow but after seeing how well the 300 does on the snow I see no need to keep the 525.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
so this has been bouncing around in my brain since I need to pick a bike for next winter, I did alittle pokin around and this is what I found ktm 300 curb weight 227lbs stock hp 48.25,=4.7lbs/hp honda 450r 253 lbs stock hp 45= 5.6slbs/hp. I just picked the honda as an average 450 but it is interesting that the ktm has a better hp to weight ratio. what is gas mileage on the 2stroke I wonder?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
so this has been bouncing around in my brain since I need to pick a bike for next winter, I did alittle pokin around and this is what I found ktm 300 curb weight 227lbs stock hp 48.25,=4.7lbs/hp honda 450r 253 lbs stock hp 45= 5.6slbs/hp. I just picked the honda as an average 450 but it is interesting that the ktm has a better hp to weight ratio. what is gas mileage on the 2stroke I wonder?

My 09 300XCW has the 5 gallon tank and I seem to only use 2 gallons on a 4 hr single track ride when jetted properly.Dont think fuel is a problem with oversize tank.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
5 gallon tank, hummm, I was set on a 4 stroker but now maybe not...:face-icon-small-dis

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
5 gallon tank, hummm, I was set on a 4 stroker but now maybe not...:face-icon-small-dis

the 300 gets great gas mileage and the maintenance on a 2 stroke is much less than a 4 stroke. The 300 is a single track dream.Just dont know much about the bike on the snow.the IMS tanks fit perfectly and look great.250 bucks from "Cycle Buy"

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
i found an add for a ktm300 exc on craigslist it was a supermoto, the guy said it gets 40mpg! is that bs or is it possible for a 2 stroke road bike?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
i found an add for a ktm300 exc on craigslist it was a supermoto, the guy said it gets 40mpg! is that bs or is it possible for a 2 stroke road bike?

I have never rode it on road ,other than single track so dont know.It does get about the same mileage as the 250 4 stroke KTM I rode with.Dont let fuel be the deciding factor,The 300 is a powerhouse when on the pipe .good low end torque as well.Gearing is fairly close even on the XCW.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Hey Folks,

Sorry to ressurrect this from the dead but would like to find out how the guys with 300 two-strokes are faring with their snow bikes? I am looking at getting one for my ’09 300 XC-W and the above is rather encouraging but I am a little leary of the carb hassles – is that really an issue? I also weigh 200 lbs and hoping that the bike has enough power with a short track MH. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Also curious what advancements Timbersled has made to the MH since they came out with them a few years ago? I know the front ski has changed but has there been any other changes?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks, JC<o:p></o:p>

Last edited:
Premium Features