• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Ladies' Input on Overcoming Fears?

Ok, so went out last weekend and it was super icy out. Had alot of fears going up, down, and sidehilling, but I was able to push past alot of those fears and get it done (mostly without rolling or hitting trees ;-). I think alot of it is the mileage I've been getting and riding with all the guys - if you don't keep up, you're getting left behind and look bad. What are some tips you girls might have of overcoming those fears? Lately I've been doing much more hillclimbing which is helping my confidence - I realize now that the hill really isn't THAT bad (although, this did get me into a bind last weekend on a fairly steep hill - Ha!). So anyways - just thought I'd start this thread and give some newer riders some experienced advice! Thanks in advance girls!

S

SnowAngel700

Dec 11, 2009
Hello,

I am not an experienced snowmobiler...at all. Im still waiting to go my first time. But anyways... My guess would be to go with someone that understands and that can help you through it. Not leave you behind. That in itself would scare me...but like I said. I'm not experienced. Im sorry I couldnt give you better advice. I hope all gets better for you...

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
The only way I can think of is to just do it. If going up scares you, GO UP. And then when you come back down, immediately turn around and go up again! Then again! lol Repetition will eventually make that fear go away, IMO.

Don't sit there and look at it and think about it. Give it a shot, try going up part way and turning out. Work your way up maybe? From what I have seen with women is that the longer you look at something the worse it gets for your guts. And women's brains can turn a small hill into a HUGE undoooable mountain. :face-icon-small-dis

I noticed some of the ladies would could count to 3 and make themselves go, helped some, didn't help others.

Others it helps to just get on the butt of another rider and concentrate on what they are doing, trying to do what that rider does. And before they knew it they had gone up the hill that had just kicked their butt on 4 previous tries! :face-icon-small-hap

Riding in ice sure isn't that much fun... but if you can conquer the fear of up, FAST DOWN and sidehill in ice... then you got all else woooooped! ;)

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
Well, I'm still new to snowmobiling and haven't had too much scare me yet but I haven't done serious mountain riding yet! However, I ride ATV's year round and I can bring some of my "conquer your fears" experience over from there. To a point it really is a matter of "Just do it" but at the same time don't commit to doing something that you flat out don't have the skill to do. ATV's have such a high center of gravity compared to a snowmobile that they actually scare me a lot more- it's much easier to flip them over backward or to roll them, and they weigh (well, mine does) 700+ pounds and the last thing you want is that on top of you. So what I did with ATV's is rode often and challenged myself a little on every ride so that I got better and better without really risking major injury. I now can ride up very steep slopes, ride off-camber, hop logs, all kinds of stuff. Compared to an ATV a sled seems very stable and so a lot of my fears of rolling or flipping over backward are non-existent with a sled. I pretty much go where the guys go. I think the one thing that I would find very scary would be to be coming down a hill out of control. There's one ride that all my friends like to do up to Lost Lake and the favored trail turns into a luge run after a few people have been up and down it. People tell me you're just on the sled for the ride and you have absolutely no control. They said there's this one turn where you're headed straight for a tree but the trail grabs you and pulls you into the turn. I'm sorry, but that sounds terrifying! So that's my big hangup. I only want to go down a big hill if I have a good run-out and no major obstacles (read: tree!) that I'm bound to hit. The other area that I find somewhat scary is how FAST the sleds are-- and therefore how quickly something can go wrong.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
I make my husband do it first. :face-icon-small-ton

Really though I find that watching other people first helps me get a better idea of what I need to do. Helps me understand more what the sled is going to do and how to ride it.

I had a "made myself do it" moment recently up in Cooke. I have only been off a drop once before. I was taking pictures and watched my husband drop off a little bank. Instantly got a knot inside my stomach as I thought I should try it too. Watched him drop off it again, my whole body started shaking as I put the camera away and walked over to my sled. Tried to bring my confidence up by launching up the bank (something I was comfortable with) before turning around and going back off it. Didn't really help all that much so I sat a few sled lengths away and studied it.

I kept thinking about that John Wayne line that goes something like this "bravery is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." The knot in my stomach had reached strangling proportions. Decided I should error on the side off too much throttle, picked my line, and told myself to GO and BE BRAVE! Somehow I did go and even though it was scary and I backed off the throttle a bit, I instantly turned around and did it about 4-5 times. Each time it got better and I got braver on the throttle. Still scary but also fun. I like the part where you are in the air just floating down.

What have I learned recently (for me anyway) was it is okay to sit and study it- as long you are making a plan as to exactly how you are going to ride it and not dragging yourself down saying I can't do it or just staring at it with your eyes bugging out. I'm more confident when I have a plan. Even just my husband saying something like "why don't you head up that hill about half way, then sidehill to the right and go right between those trees" makes a world of difference for me.

W

whitegold46

Mar 3, 2008
Smithers, B.C.
I don't totally agree with the "just give 'er" theory. If you don't land a drop right you can get very seriously injured!! I went with a young guy last weekend that was somewhat inexperienced in drops and he ended up landing very badly and broke his back!!! I think you have to start on smaller obstacals and move to the bigger ones once you feel comfortable doing the smaller stuff, wether it is climbing or droping.... don't let anyone force you into doing something you don't feel comfortable doing!!!!!! Get the experience you need to judge the jumps, climbs or drops for yourself.... and always have a "plan B" if it goes bad. Play safe girls!!! Remember, at the end of the day you want to come home happy and healthy!

Premium Features