• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pointers

J

jtblaster

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 10, 2009
Anchorage, AK
This season will be my second season riding. My hubby likes to hill climb, most of last season i would sit and watch. I ride a 08 summit adrinaline 600 144. I was wondering if you ladies could give me a little adivce on hill climbing? I am guessing it is just going to take lots of pratice? :confused: Any words of advice or encouragement? lol. Since i always like to hang with the guys i find it frusterating that i suck so bad at this and they are so good. :mad:

T
Feb 25, 2008
Ronald, WA
Yes...it does take practice...but really you just need to get a feel for your sled.

Stay on the "uphill" side of your sled. Do you know what I mean?
Get used to moving from side to side on your sled..(both feet:eek:)..in other words....keep your butt off the seat. :p
Try some small hills at first and go from there.

Is there anything specific you want to know? :beer;

Dec 30, 2008
Ramsey, MN
your A$$ is your best asset on a sled

I posted this in another thread (Who's Who in the Power Room) - hope there is some info to you find helpful here -

Been riding for over 40 years and I have helped alot of fellow women get into the sport so they have fun and the first thing I tell the ladies is your A$$ is your best asset on a sled
- MOVE IT on the sled
- In corners - MOVE IT to the inside of the corner
- Going up hill - STAND UP and MOVE IT over the handle bars
- Going down hill - MOVE IT to the back of the seat

When going down the straight roads - stand up, get use to moving your feet to one or the other running board, FEEL what it does to the sled - this way when you go to break off trail, you're comfortable with putting 2 feet on one running board and HANG YOUR A$$ way out in the air to feel how you can pull the sled on to one ski with your A$$.

The reason I tell you this is the guy's strength comes in their shoulders and arms, they ride different, women can go all the same places, we just do it different.

And LADIES - all of you - if its just you and your partner riding out there - PAY ATTENTION to where you are, where you have been, because if an accident happens - it could be YOU who has to ride out for help!

Signed - The Mrs

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
As a guy who has tought a few women as well as kids ..heres what i will advise..hope it helps....while the boys are playing on the big hills...you need to find a little hill that is within sight of them so they know where you are and will keep an eye on you...you need a hill that is 10 ft tall and about a 45 degree angle..all you do is ride straight up to it about 5 mph..when your ski tips get with in a foot or two of the hill lean forward and give it full throttle..as the sled climbs up the hill it may want to go left or right..whichever way it goes you need to lean the oposite way to keep it going straight since your skis are off the snow...as you reach the crest of the hill and it flattens out ease up on the throttle to control your speed..do this several times till it is comfy..now do the same thing but as soon as the sled starts up the hill turn back down the hill...key to turning on a hill is to plan ahead before you hit the hill as to what line you are going to climb, where you are going to turn out if you have problems and whats under you at the bottom of the hill if you turn out in a different spot....so before you turn out you want to jump to the side of the sled that is going to be highest on the hill when you do your turnout..you do not ever let off the throttle in a turn out until you are at least half way thru your turnout(otherwise the sled will fall down hill pulling you over the seat..promptly followed by the sled running you over as you hit the snow)..now as you did your turnout the sled should have gone into a sidehill position where the uphill ski is buried in the snow and the downhill ski is 2 ft in the air..its scary at first but that is good..it gives you control....as it turns downhill you will have two things to do..get back square on the sled with a foot in each stirup and your weight shifted forward and depending on whats in front of you on the brakes or gas(momentarialy stabbing the throttle on bumps will help keep the sled from crashing but becareful cause you pick up speed very quickly going downhill...a good thing to get you used to turning out and sidehilling up hills you cant climb straight up is to practice sidehilling back and rorth across it(becareful though that you dont cut an avy loose by sidehilling under big hills loaded with snow.......these are the basics..practice ..practice ,practice..start out small and when comfortable..go a little bigger and steeper....soon you will be right there with the boys....:face-icon-small-hap

S
Feb 25, 2009
Prince George, B.C.
I started a thread about hillclimbing and what's scares the girls about riding the steep hills! I've been riding sleds for about 30 years, and have been going to the mountains for the last 20, and I still show a bit of fear. I don't think that it's a totally BAD thing, just makes me more aware. You can learn the technique and how your machine handles in each snow condition, but let's face it......the sport has evolved and so has the machines. I used to ride a brand new 1989 Jag 440 in the mountains, I sure didn't make the highmark and we usually could only go in the spring when the conditions were set up. :)

I have had three different machines since 2006, and each one handles totally different. My heart still sinks in my chest each time I challenge a bigger hill, and sometimes it's hard to catch my breath because my heart is racing a million miles an hour. There is a certain technique to make your sleds do what you want, you have to lean, you have to learn to distribute your weight on the sled which means standing with both legs on one side sometimes, using your mountain bar and knowing when to let off on the throttle before losing momentum at the top of your highmark. Yes, it does take alot of practice, and alot of courage. It's not easy watching the boys highmark and being the only girl out there. But it will come with time, you will develop a feel for it and before you know it you'll be climbing like a pro.

Also I agree that avy training is a must, and carrying all the proper safety gear. Good luck!!

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
Practice on small hills getting the feel for the turn out. Once you can turn out, and know when to turn out you'll be good to go. Keeping your momentum through your turn out is key or you'll simply flop over and roll down the hill. :eek: I don't put my whole body on the upper side, but I do shift my weight and keep the throttle on until I'm on the downhill run. If you plan your route as AKS suggests - plan your turn out, which way you plan to turn and then you're ready to shift/move your weight. Have a plan and execute rather than going willy nilly at the hill and getting up there and panicking on where or which way to turn.
I would sometimes pick a target spot (tree, hump, whatever) as my goal and decide I'm going to turn out left when I reach that...then off I go...once I hit my target I turn out and head down. Get used to turning out BEFORE you run out of power! Once you get confidence then you can blow past that target!!!!

S

Soccerd6

Nov 21, 2007
Marysville, WA
Practice on small hills getting the feel for the turn out..... Get used to turning out BEFORE you run out of power!

in my mind, that is ABSOLUTELY key! then work your way into bigger hills.

as others have said, avy course is a must.

and it's NOT cool to highmark over a stuck sled.

HAVE FUN!!!!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'd like to add a point.

Not all hill climbing is straight up the hill, turn out, and come straight back down. Practice side hilling on flat ground first. The more comfortable you are with your sled balanced on one side or the other (practice both sides), the more comfortable you will be on a hill.

I have first time riders tip their sled up on one ski to almost a 45°. The sled will almost sit in this position. This lets them know that it can hold that angle without falling over on them. Now, on flat ground, stand on one board (with both feet) and kneel into the side of the seat. Traveling about 5-10 mph, pull the sled up on the ski that is in front of you. Practice riding as far as you can on this ski. Once you have figured this out, you wil need to try it on the other ski. You will be feeling how the sled behaves so when you are on the hill and need to side hill around a tree, drift, or a hole, you won't feel that you have to have both skis on the snow. You will also be more comfortable in the sidehill position at the apex of your turnout which helps if you need to travel around the hill to a clearer run out.

Otherwise, ride loose. Don't ride with your knees or elbows locked in a full extension, you will need some movement or you can get bucked off if you hit an unseen bump or hole.

Premium Features