• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stiff throttle

M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
Seems that these SkiDoos are prone to a heavy, stiff throttle which tends to create a bit of a thumb ache. Ive seen some guys to try to rig up some sort of a helper spring on their throttle block but what Im thinking is maybe doing somethin on the carburetor side. Possibly cutting down the slide spring to alleviate some tension.. not too sure yet
Has anyone done this or had another method that works???

some tend to be a bit heavy feeling but shouldnt be stiff
sounds like a cable needs replaced or lubed
is the cable routed so there are no sharp bends?
does it snap back to fully closed easily?
I have 3 - 01 summits and a 04 all pull about the same
a little firmer than my polaris but not bad

M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
Yeah I checked cable routing. It has been been a little while since Ive lubed the cable but its been hard to pull since I bought the thing. I have a ridin buddy with the same thing, 2000 Summit HM, and he has the same issue.

Holy crap, had to dig back through the pm's to find this one! haha....here is his post that he sent me, it was Adrenaline Revolution on here, I'd talk to him if you have any issues. I was going to do it, just never got around to it.:( and for some reason, his website wasn't valid, so I added another parts fiche, they SHOULD be the same, although I'm not positive!

Go to a DOO Microfiche like this one...

http://216.37.204.206/xtremepowersports/Skidoo_OEM/Skidoo.asp

select "SKI DOO" and "SKI DOO" (again)from the drop down menus.
then select 1999
then select "Formula"
then select Formula Deluxe 500 LC/583/670
then select "02 fuel system"

Look at about the center of that page.

You need parts...

one ea # 2
one ea # 3
one ea # 11
four ea # 8

Remove the throttle cable, remove your grip, then you pull your old trigger assy and trigger mount off your handlebars, slide out the kill switch.
I had to cut the plug off of the new thumb heater and cut the wires from your old thumb heater near the plug (Unless you know how to remove the connectors out from inside the old plug and replace them with the ones out of the new plug)
then just splice them color for color.
slide the new assy back on the bars and slide your old kill swich back in.
reinstall your grip, Re-install the throttle cable and your done.
It's really a pretty easy job and you probably already know how to do all the steps but now you know where to find them!
They were all in stock at a local DOO dealer.
I think I have a pac of it and will try to post it on the thread where you saw this.

Good luck!

Last edited:
M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
Ya know I do have a pair of carbs off an 03 700. Ill have to look into the differences on them, other than the new slide design.
That would be easier all together:D

M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
Looks like its possible to swap those carbs with some effort.. the carbs on the 03 are liquid heated and have a little different throttle linkage but seems to be a relatively simple swap. :face-icon-small-hap
Any suggestions on a clean air intake? maybe just some cone filters straight off the carb?

Premium Features