• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Swapping motors?

M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
So I just picked up a parts sled to salvage the motor to put in my 2000 700 Summit. The parts sled is an 03 Summit 700 and does have reverse. What Im thinking is how I can swap motors and possibly hook up reverse on my 2000?
Has anyone ever done this and how extensive would the project be?

Yup, the entire wiring harness has to be swapped, DESS computer, RER switch, your secondary has to be swapped to one with a reversable helix. But if you have the complete othere sled, it shouldn't be too bad if you already have the sled torn down that far anyways. When you swap wiring harnesses, it would probably be easier to also run the 03' tach and speedo, they were different and the wiring up to them was different as well.

Yup, the entire wiring harness has to be swapped, DESS computer, RER switch, your secondary has to be swapped to one with a reversable helix. But if you have the complete othere sled, it shouldn't be too bad if you already have the sled torn down that far anyways. When you swap wiring harnesses, it would probably be easier to also run the 03' tach and speedo, they were different and the wiring up to them was different as well.

Good call.. and you can use the 03 skid set back which will help with the attack angle in 2000... you have the perfect measurement tool to do a skid set back as well as the rails to make it work! Good luck

M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
Yeah.. Im looking at a good deal on a mesh hood and wouldnt be running the stock gauges for very long i dont think.
So the 03 skid is set furthur back than my 00? I was considering swapping the susp. anyways but that would be good to know too.

Thanks for the help! :beer;

Yeah.. Im looking at a good deal on a mesh hood and wouldnt be running the stock gauges for very long i dont think.
So the 03 skid is set furthur back than my 00? I was considering swapping the susp. anyways but that would be good to know too.

Thanks for the help! :beer;

If they are the same track length, take measurements for the mounting holes on the 03 and do a complete swap... this is by far the eaiest way to relocate your skid... you will achieve a better attack angle with the relocated skid of the 03

Premium Features