• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beta 300 build

B
Mar 30, 2016
I'm getting started on my first snow bike build I've actually never even ridden a snow bike so i'm just jumping in. I've been on dirt bikes my whole life and snowmobiles for the last 5 years.

The bike is a 2017 Beta 300 Race and i have a Camso DTS kit on order which should be in any day now. I have also ordered the following accessories:

-Recluse auto clutch
-grip warmers
-PST carb heater
-PST carb blanket
-PST intake
-Trail Tech temp gauge
(planning on using the stock thermostat for now)
-Airpro fork system
-Slaven's C3 Mule head

I will update the post with my progress and pictures if anyone's interested.

IMG_0329.jpg

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
The 300 Betas are nice. I was just about to spring for the 430 Race in the fall but instead we've just converted two KTM 300s (mine and my son's). They have performed flawlessly and the Camso kit is a top notch conversion, being the only available single rail design, making for a very unique track guide (less friction and more transverse tilt). The other manufactures will not be able to match this design for its replication of our dirt bike's summer time feel.

The Camso kit is well manufactured. Not the lightest of the bunch but really quite properly designed for manufacturing. That's why they can sell it cheaper than the other choices out there. Many are saying Camso will merge the single rail with the Yeti platform. When that happens, my other two boys should be just getting tall enough to jump in to this great sport and that's when I spring for the carbon Ferrari/Beta 430 Race.

You have to think ahead about seasonal use. Get the bike that suits four seasons rather than dedicated. It may be a compromise but it beats having a massive moto-sled taking up valuable garage space during the summer.

This pic is of my second garage:

DSCN7902.jpg

B
Mar 30, 2016
I'm making some progress now...I have all my bike mods installed and operating except for the intake which i will need the strut in place to fit. I received the Camso kit yesterday and hope to get started on that tonight!!

IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0479.jpg IMG_0475.jpg IMG_0477.jpg IMG_0478.jpg

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
What altitude are you guys riding?i use a 300 for the dirt too but my snowbikes are both 450 ktm’s

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Altitude

I'm at 250 ft. (75 m) in flat land Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I seem to have lots of power on my 300 XCW/Camso set up at this altitude.

My only comparison would be the trip we did in Revelstoke last winter to trial snow bikes for the first time on a 300 XCW and a 450FX.

Definately the 450 brought a smile to my son's face but the 300 works as well. I like the flickability of a 300. I see it as a compromise as I prefer the 300 for the dirt for sure - being mid-fifties and loosing muscle mass in spite of hitting the gym 3-4 days a week.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I hope to get some seat time on a Kurt's Polaris Beta with Timbered.
We'll have to compare notes!

B
Mar 30, 2016
Made it out yesterday for the first run and i am very impressed so far. The 300 seems to pull it pretty dam good! I also have the high compression head and i think it really helps! I was riding with a couple of timbersled and i seemed to have more snow/ice buildup in the engine/chain area than they did. They were on 4t's so im not sure if because they are running a high temps and it melts off or what?

Couple of questions i have specific to the Camso setup:

-I set the strut spacer per the instruction #1 in this case and i seem to what to have more than the stated 30mm max of exposed threads. Right now i think its at 38mm and i feel like i might need more to get the correct attack angle.

-On the primary chain adjuster i'm just about maxed out already. I adjusted it after a short breakin run and after riding all day yesterday it will need a little more.

Anyone have any input on these?

Thanks!

B
Mar 30, 2016
correction....i used configuration #2 as stated in the guide. I think i may need to switch to configuration #1 to get the correct strut length.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I've contacted Stefane over at Camso about the strut configuration. He says to use whichever configuration works best for your bike, even though there are obvious typos in the Camso set up manual...but he did not actually acknowledge the typos.

B
Mar 30, 2016
Yeah i got the same response...and after looking at the other configuration moving the spacer to the top will add length to the strut which is what i need. I'm going to switch it around this week and see how it works.

Premium Features