• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lectron Carb Question

Broncoblue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, Id
Can someone share with me the benefits of the Lectron Carb over stock. I have a 300 ktm with slavens head, 250 cdi box etc. and have been very please with the performance except for the carb icing. Would the lectron carb help with icing? Thanks

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
AND where do we find Lectron carbs?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I have a ktm 300 that I have put similar mods on and just got a 38mm lectron. The main reason I did it was for the bigger throat and the power jet. Have ran it a few times this summer and it woke up the top end on the bike. I'm sure carb icing will be the same as stock but avid makes a heater for both stock(I think) and the lectrons. I did have one problem with it , got to a riding area and the float needle stuck shut. Took it apart needle fell down and I couldn't get it to stick again. Hopefully it was just a fluke have a few rides on it since and all is well

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
The lectron has a flat needle design that casts fuel off in finer particles for better atomization. It uses the needle,noozle for idle through wide open with a power jet for richening up you wide open exhaust temps. The snowbikes load the motor more than most applications and the power jet is a engine saver. What ever carb you go with, add a avid heater to it or you will experience carb ice. Once you try a flat needle carb it is hard to go back. I suggest running the 3-3 needle on a Snowbike though.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
lectron vs stock

I run a Lectron carb on my wr450 sno bike and my KTM200 exc
trail bike.

What I have found is:

better gas mileage...........from around 65 miles per tank to average of 140 per tank on my KTM200exc. Better gas mileage on my wr but not as dramatic a difference on 4 strokes vs 2 stroke on my bikes and sleds.

wider power band, less shifting, quieter running on all applications I have tried.

like fuel injection even when jetted toooo rich, the better fuel atomizing Lectron eliminated pipe drool on my 2 strokes.

better fuel atomizing on the Lectron without the Mikuni/Keihin fuel delivery steps, means you will generally have cleaner smoother crisper more linear power delivery because you have a steadier more linear fuel delivery due to just two fuel supplies in the carb.

the genuinely flat/thin Lectron slide minimizes air disturbance in the carb venturi, this results in a more sensitive throttle and a feeling of the throttle being a direct engine connection

a poorly tuned Lectron will let an engine run a lot better than a poorly tuned Mikuni/Keihin/Smarty/BlueMax/Bing...........again because of the finer fuel atomization in the 30 plus year old Lectron design. Fuel injection also has the same quality, real finely atomized fuel even in rich loads burns ok and engine performance is ok

Lectron is less sensitive to air temp and air density meaning more consistent running from cold days to hot days to elevation gain or loss. Less sensitive than Mikuni or Keihin and.........who knows, I can say FOR SURE on stock models form Mik or Kei. Nothing fancy to make this happen, just a Lectron is a carb model that operates with a more intense or higher vacuum signal in the area where gas enters the carb venture

Perfect...........no just closer to perfect than some other organized leaks that supply a motor with fuel and air.

If you don't like to tune carbs and develop a feel for jetting to make an engine perform better, you won't like any aftermarket carb............or aftermarket fuel injection.

And on and on

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Agreed with the "less spooge" comment.
I feel my jetting is close to where i had it with stock carb but now i have 0 pipe spooge where as before i had a little every ride.
Ive also talked to lectron about my float needle sticking and i must have gotten a small piece of something in the fuel inlet when changing my metering rod. So my bad!
The company is very helpful with tuning questions as well. They have the right person answer the phone every time, which helps out.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Agreed with the "less spooge" comment.
I feel my jetting is close to where i had it with stock carb but now i have 0 pipe spooge where as before i had a little every ride.
Ive also talked to lectron about my float needle sticking and i must have gotten a small piece of something in the fuel inlet when changing my metering rod. So my bad!
The company is very helpful with tuning questions as well. They have the right person answer the phone every time, which helps out.

Agree with everything stated.... I think it gives you a much larger range to run good with temp and altitude changes.... They are a great company to work with... I would go year around turning the rod a quarter turn for one extreme and then back for another...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
An egt is the single best thing you can install on the 2 stroke... You can maximize the power and feel safe on long pulls... Used one on my 500 to get it tuned right... You never know how much your off till you have one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Premium Features