• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

alignment

bubbacorn

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2011
I disassembled my kit for a new color scheme.
I'm wondering if I should be concerned about having everything aligned properly. I was thinking about perhaps mounting the kit on my bike and running around the yard to set things in place, then loosening and re tightening all the upper and lower rail bolts
Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 22, 2009
Critical is jack shaft and drive shaft make sure when everything is tightened down it spins free all the holes are plasma or later cut not alot of precision those little bearings don't live long if they are in a bind

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
I agree, with the amount of attention these bearings get I am very surprised there is not a step-by-step procedure Timbersled has reccomended to ensure proper bearing alignment. Hint-hint....

Kell

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
the first most critical alignment issue is engine countershaft sprocket to the kit. Lay a straight edge on both sprocket, actually two alignment bars on top and bottom, everything should be nice and dead flat alignments bars laying on the sprocket faces.

Then top to bottom sprockets in the chain case, check both planes.

Then outer track clip to slide rail clearance on all four corners got to be the same.

Way off........oooops, no adjustments available, start blacksmithing.

bubbacorn

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2011
Well it's all back together and alignment looks good. Thanks for the help. I'm curious about the brakeshaft. Is it normal to have alot of trouble getting the bearings off and on?
I know the previous owner of the kit had the bearings replaced once for sure. It looked to me like the shafts were hammered on quite a bit to remove or install these parts. The shafts were mushroomed out on both ends.
I'm no engineer but isn't this shaft somewhat floating between the sprocket and brake rotor?

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
If you hammer the ends of the shafts they are mushroomed. The shafts are very soft. Would be better if they were hardened steel !

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Also are you installing the new bearing kit?? I think it may be foolish to not upgrade to it for the cost they are charging...

Premium Features