• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need a beacon

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
anyone know of a good spot to buy a tracker beacon? would like to order one in next day or so. just like everything else i do wait until the last minute. thanks

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
First Place has them on backorder until the end of Feb. They just called me last week. Beacons seem to be a very hot item this year. I am having a hard time finding them as well. But did find some now just waiting for UPS

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
Thanks everyone for the help, got some from snowbigdeal.com. They were good to deal with and hop[efully they get here before I go out west next week. Thanks again :)

sled.man

Premium Member
Dec 8, 2007
lynnwood washington
dsp peip

just got a peip dsp from snow big deal. they were very helpful and 3 days for the shipping as they said.

Now that you have you beacon

practice, practice, practice

hope you have the shovel and probe.
there are proper ways to use these also

practice, practice, practice

An avy course is the best way to learn

2 hour course getting started
4 hour course getting better
8 hour course most of the basics are covered
16 hour better yet

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
Give me a few pointers on how to use the probe and shovel. I'm new to this so any instruction would be good. So far all I've used a shovel for is to get me unstuck. Hope i never need this stuff, but would like to be prepared if it is needed. thanks again.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
To use a probe, a line must be formed elbow to elbow apart. the line must probe in time with each other. stand with your feet shoulder apart, and probe in front of your left toe, then your right. everyone takes a small step forward and repeats. If you find a buried victim, do not remove the probe. use additional probes to confirm if it is a victim.
Use the shovel to chop up the snow and then remove, or you might bend the shovel. try not to dig directly above victim, as you may crush their air pocket, or jab them. For every foot down, you have to dig a 2 foot diameter hole. so if the person is 4 feet under the snow... an 8 foot diameter hole must be made. start your hole downhill from victim if possible.

All in all, to have the tools is good, but to know how to use them there is also a tool to use, your brain. Get avalanche training. it is worth every penny!

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
I just took advantage of snowbigdeal's kit as well, going to give it to a fellow rider that has been thinking about it lately, so figured the time is right to educate him:)

M

MN_Nole

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Big Lake, MN
Go to Snowbigdeal.com they support avalanche awareness training by giving a discount on a purchase, for those whom take a course.. If anyone is interested I will give you my discount from a recent course if the price is the reason. Buy a Beacon and know how to use it, its not your life but mine or your friends.

Premium Features