• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No spark have been told it could be the master relay

V
Jan 1, 2010
My friend has a 2002 summit 800 and he is getting no spark he has been told that it could be the master relay, we have looked all around the sled for the fuse box and can't find it so if someone could please tell me where the master relay is located it would be greatly appreciated :) also if you have any other suggestions of why he is not getting spark? Thank you for your help .

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
The relay in question only controls the lighting side of the curcuit. even if that relay was bad you would still have spark.

On a no spark situation start with checking kill switches, keys, and inspect wiring to the stator and trigger coils for damage. kill switches can be dissconnected. the D.E.S.S post has to be tested with a OHM meter. The number one failure to cause a no spark situation is the kill switch on the handlebars, start there.

i just fixed that on my '02 800 first checked the kill switch, and was functioning, then ohmed the coil checked good, and wiring looked good no exposed wires, got to the stator, which was bad but did not show bad when ohming it out. that was my adventure

03summit700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Moses Lake, Washington
Just had my dess post go bad. Check it with an omh meter. Then you can jumper the black/green and black/white wires on the harness side. If that is the problem it will run but it cannot read the tether. So you can only rev it to 3,000 rpm. It's at least somthing to try.

W
Dec 1, 2007
Cañon City, CO
Just picked up an '03 600 for my son and has the same problem of no spark. I know almost nothing about Skidoo so I need a little help on the terms. What is a DESS post and should my ohm meter show open or closed? I know some of the Skidoos I've ridden with the guys were always having problems with their teather switches cuttin' out on them, is there anyway to by-pass the teather switch? One guy told me it might be the ECM Box, it just doesn't seem like a bad ECM would cause no sparkage.
Thanks!

03summit700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Moses Lake, Washington
The dess post has been described to me as a magnetic switch. When tether is attached it should close the switch completing the circut. Then it can read the tether at that time.
Here is what worked for me.
I took the dess post out of the console and off the back of it are three wires coming out. I took the 2 black wires a couple of inches down from the post and cut them and then I spliced all 4 of the black wire ends together into 1 butt connector.
Now my sled will run fine. It still needs the tether to go over 3000 rpm and for the rer to work. Without the tether it now will start but it just won't go anywhere.
I ordered a new one. But, it's on back order.
At least this way I can still ride.

W
Dec 1, 2007
Cañon City, CO
I'm on 2 threads here, but anyway, I'm leaning toward a bad stator 'cause I'm not getting anything with my test light when checking the wires coming straight off the stator. Should I be or is there something I'm missing?

Premium Features