• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anybody ride the 2011 polaris rmk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I am getting my wife a new sled next year. I was going to put her on a cat m8 but I really liked the new pro rmk. I know what she likes but I never got to try one. I know she wouldn't like the 09 dragon that I rode. It sidehilled similar to the m8 but it had a nose heavier feel to it. Seems like that will change on the 2011's. Any imput will be appreciated.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
I got to ride one up at west yellowstone, granted we didn't have any powder at all. I ride a cat and my husband has a 2010 m8 so I of course was compairing the pro ride to cat. They had about 1/2 2010's and 1/2 2011's to ride so we switched out and rode both.

On the trails they rode about the same, smoother then the cats to be sure. The 2010 acutally felt a bit peppier on the throttle then the 2011, but both seemed doggy compaired to the 2010 m8.

We rode for a bit on a really hard packed hill, did some drags up it. The 2011 didn't really blow the 2010 away like I had though it might. Just depended on the rider and what line you took but most of the time the 2010 was right on the heels of the pro ride.

What I liked- smooth throttle/power (the m8 takes off with a bang), nice ride on the trails, couldn't tell much else without more snow.

What I didn't like- the handle bars and the pull rope. The bars were too tall (I have a 2 inch riser on my cat) and it almost felt like the bars were too short (width wise), I just couldn't get any leverage on it on uphill turns, it would rather toss me off the downhill side.

The pull rope was made for tall people, I had to stand almost on the bumper to start it. Polaris will preach that the pro only takes one pull to start but you have to pull the cord all the way until it stops or it won't start. When your 5'4" that doesnt work so well.

Other then that, it was fun but I would like to try it in the powder. My advice would be to let her try it and see what she likes.

Bighorns086.jpg

BackCountryBasics

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
www.backcountrybasics.com
I recently had the opportunity to spend a weekend and ride the 2011 RMK with the R&D guys from Polaris down in Alpine, Wyoming. Though I am a Cat rider I have to say, this is the lightest, easiest, out of crate, bone stock sled I have ridden to date that I feel would be a nice sled for a entry level to intermediate lighter rider.

Yes, the handlebars are a tad high for a 5'8" or shorter rider. However, the riser could be easily removed, & I would put a bit more aggressive ski on for personal preference only. I also found the throttle response and clutch engagement very smooth & docile for someone who was needing this attribute to learn slow technical manuevers & throttle control.

I was able to ride in various treed terrain all day with snow conditions being very heavy wet conditions. I found this sled easy to handle with minimal body language input. I found it to perform with impressive floatation & balance from short steep technical climbs, sidehilling, jumps, drops, broadies (turning radious is tight), & open creek bed hops (another words quick throttle response/clutch engagement to lift the skis enough to clear a gap from a stand still position). I found at WOT on the trail it handled very well & overall the feel was light & nimble. The narrow tunnel stance is also very comfortable compared to the bulky past models of Polaris.

Though personally, I love my Twisted Turbo M1000 for myself, it would not be honost to recognize this sled for the appropriate rider, esp for those looking to find something for their upcoming lighter rider or wife with skills being that in the beginner to intermediate class. I think it would be a very nice fit & increase the learning curve with its ease of handlebility for this type of spacific rider.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think I am going to go for it. There is still a chance I can get to try one in a week or two. She could try it too, but she won't really be able to put it through the paces with turbo tot due the middle of may. If she doesn't like it I will narrow up my turbo hcr and she can have that and I will ride the polaris. Of course it would have to have a turbo also. Thanks for the imput.

Premium Features