• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WHY SO CHEAP!?

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I hate to tell you, loosing some on your sled is nothing. What about the guy who just lost hundreds of thousands on his house. Its the economy. As some have said, it is what it is.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I hate to tell you, loosing some on your sled is nothing. What about the guy who just lost hundreds of thousands on his house. Its the economy. As some have said, it is what it is.

Because "that guy" is probably living beyond his means and that "equity" that he lost he didnt earn in the first place! And probably took out a second or third mortgage to pay for his high dollar sled!:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-hap

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
It's a fairly small market. MOST sledders don't want anything to do with a tempermental mod. Even if it's a Yammy, it's still a mod.

O
Dec 6, 2007
Kind of a silly notion that by posting on this forum you will somehow be able to get more for your toy isn't it? You can dream all you want about having any control over the market, fact is, you don't. Ask what you want for the sled, sell if someone pays it, very simple.

I don't know what you do or where you live but the economy is in the toilet big time, and it is going to get worse before it gets better. Lots of people recognize this. They will unload money sucking toys now in order to weather the storm. When things come back, they will buy new toys. Most all of the guys I ride with are in the building trades, including myself. Right now we all have more time than money, just a symptom of the times.

You also seem to seriously underestimate the current success of the 2 stroke turbos. They are lighter by up to 100lbs and cheaper. They have also become very reliable and require no tuning. I would take a ready to ride TM8 for $16k new over pretty much any turbo Yammi. The Yammis are excellent machines, but they have some serious competition in a flat market.

Good Luck selling your sled if thats the route you choose.

G

GRAHAM

Sep 2, 2008
Clovis cali.
Lets face the facts. These sleds or anything else for that matter are worth whatever the current market/economy bares. if your getting half of what you have in your sled out of it your about at current market price. Im not saying you have to agree with it or like it but your stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and lets face it there aint a whole lot of buyers on the market?. It's kinda like the value of your home,it aint worth **** right now but the good news is when you sell it the new one your lookin at aint worth **** either so your workin on the same paralell whether its buy low sell low or buy high sell high. you cant compare selling a built used sled to building a new one. sell used buy used is = and if you work it right you can upgrade for minimull dollars on someone elses loss. the days of Thirty thousand dollar boosted Nytro's are over Boyz! trust me i have two sitting in my garage.

N
Jan 29, 2008
I think the issue is from a buyer perspective unless you actually know the seller you're taking a huge risk on buying a sled that the seller may have just had so many headaches with getting it setup that he just wants it gone. I bought a boosted Nytro for maybe $2k over what a stock one was selling for in the spring and the next season I found out that it didn't run the way it should so I ended up having to chase some gremlins for half the season. Finally got it fixed right and the next ride split the oil filter open and lost the motor. Insurance paid out but most of my season was chasing down gremlins. Not to mention I found a few questionable things on the setup that I would have done differently. So for me to buy another boosted sled I would need to find a great deal to take that chance again. I may just build my next one but that's up in the air now.

K
Nov 5, 2008
Central Utah
my 2 sense

every comment on here has valid points. But the one thing i would like to throw out there is; if you're building a sled that cost in excess of 25k, are you really building it with the idea that you're just going to flip it as soon as possible????? Or that you could sell it for a few thousand less than what you built it for if times get tough? I think that guys get involved in the game of bad A$$ turbo sleds that really shouldnt be in the game in the first place. Everyone wants the power and can maybe even spend the coin to get the sled, but we all know that the cost to build isn't the end! The amount of money that it cost to maintain the sport of turbo sleds is more than a lot of guys will admit!

So now we have all these turbo sleds flooding the market, but really there isn't enough guys with the amount of money needed to play in the space of turbos. So all one can do when they need the money is try to just sell it for what they still owe the bank!!

Kind of sounds a little like the housing market here in the states. haha

R
Jan 4, 2004
Here is another thing to get your brain going. People usually get rid of there sled every couple of years. There is always new things, reverse, skies, track, weight transfer,etc. Well most of these sleds are 06,07,08. Well does anyone ever think they are going to get any more than half there money out of a sled that is a few years old. $25- half-$12.5k- depressed economy-$2k= $10k. Now any less than that is a guy that one has more money than brains, two there is something going to happen very soon to the sled, or three just doesn't want to snowmobile any more, looking at all the money waisted on the sport.

J
Mar 28, 2008
simple economics...

The only way we are going to start getting more money for our used sleds is if we stop buying new ones!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
with yami droping the apex mtn that cant hurt the used apex mtn market! but thats something well have to see next year.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
with yami droping the apex mtn that cant hurt the used apex mtn market! but thats something well have to see next year.

I don't know if the apex market could be any worse right now. For some reason when the nytro came out and the weight factor, the apex has always been a hard sell. I aint' knocking them, I've owned 4 turbo apex and went back to a 5th over my nytro which I now own cuz I love the chassis and they do not break(well, most of them, lol)

R
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatchewan
Why dont some people get it? Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay!. Its that simple. Its no different than going and buying a new $50,000.00 diesel truck. Drive it for 3 years and its worth 20 or 25G. Go buy a new boat for $50,000.00 and see what its worth in 3 years. You loose your as$ buying anything new and modding something is even worse for loosing money. To think you will make one ounce of difference by holding your sled until next year or taking it off the marker is ridiculous. You could take your highest offer and put it in a decent stock and make a little money on it and buy a new sled next year. If you think your sled is going to be worth more a year from now then I have some swamp land I would love to sell you. To top it off sleds are seasonal and nobody is going to pay much for any sled at the end of the season. Ride the sled and enjoy it and know that you will take a $h%t kicking on resell. Unfortunatley thats the way it is in sledding. Always has been and always will be.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
You could take your highest offer and put it in a decent stock and make a little money on it and buy a new sled next year.

Or you could loose all 100% of it!

I have made alot of money on sleds ever the years, have lost some as well, and yeah its only worth what someone is willing to pay!

I also know people who have lost money in all kinds of investing, housing, construction, stock market, and so on...

Pick your poison!! Theres no garuntee's in anything in life!!!!!

W
Dec 3, 2007
wyoming
Sledding is nosebleed expensive, & I don't think many guys on the hill can truly afford it, myself included. When you step up to the boosted game, it gets even more crazy. How many engine rebuilds & barrels of race can the average jerkoff who works for wages really afford? I know I've about reached my limit.

The way I've always figured it is that when you buy a new sled you lose 3k the first year, 2k the second and 1k the third. So basically that 11k Nytro that you bought in 08 is now worth 5k.

On mod parts figure you are lucky to get back 50 cents on the dollar. So, that 10+k you spent on a turbo, Timbersled skid, blah blah blah is now worth 5k.

Plus, they prob sell 30 2-strokes for every Nytro that goes out the door. Now that the 2-stroke turbos the next big thing, not to mention cheaper than 4 stroke set ups, that is another kick in the teeth for us Yammi guys.

Life is a b!tch & then you die.

Last edited:
Premium Features