• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need new pants, opinions please!

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
I bought Free rides this year, but am selling them. They just don't fit right and the waist it too high. I just don't think I'll be that comfortable in them, even if I size down. I want something with a lower sitting waist. I'm thinking of HMK Ascent pants but don't have a dealer close to try them on. I want waterproof over everything, and I want them to be waterproof for a couple seasons at least. I don't want to replace them next year. Do the ascent pants have gaitors that are fully closed? Some aren't and let in snow. I also would like uninsulated and vented if possible.

If I could try them on it would be nice, but I'll be ordering online for whatever I get. Thanks!

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Thanks Kristy, looks like it's either HMK or Scott. Anyone need a pair of Klim freerides brand new??

S
Dec 5, 2007
I just purchased the ascent pants and action jacket.

The pants are big and a little short, I hope they are ok with boots. I pulled them out of the box, on over my jeans and then threw them in the gear bag cause we are trying to get west before the storms hit in the central US.

I will have a ride report in a few days. They have great venting and pockets. I wear a 6 pant and purchased a sml. The coat is awesome! can't wait to wear both!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I have almost all of the offerings from HMK and I think my all time favorites are the Ascent version. They were the most like the Climb :)D) Free rides in fit feel and function. Maybe just a notch not quite as high in the hips (I think the high top is a by design deal to battle snow ingestion). Unfortunately they don't have the 100% sealed gaitor. If the design spec's will allow for that it will be the number one area of change that I will ask for next season. The rest is right on! That said they are everything else you are asking for.

HMK people we have great luck with keeping them H2O proof if you wash them occasionally and hang to dry. I fluff em in the dryer towards the end of being totally dry with no heat. Seems to keep them waterproof and nice...70 days plus in the field still good for another year. Anyway great pants look fit feel and durability wise. List is $209 if I remember correctly..click the HMK deal in my sig and check them out.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
So the boot gaitor doesn't close all the way? Does it let in a lot of snow? I haven't ridden in anything without a full gaitor, seems like a bad design idea.

The high waists are just so uncomfortable for me, the crotch hangs so low, and when I sit down it rides waaay up. I'd much rather have snaps to snap the powder skirt to the pants and keep snow out. From the knee down the Klims are fine, knees up not so good. And the butt area is just too big for me. Love snowboard pants cause they fit like comfy jeans, but as tough or waterproof. Seems like I only got one season out of those pants.

Last edited:
E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
So the boot gaitor doesn't close all the way? Does it let in a lot of snow? I haven't ridden in anything without a full gaitor, seems like a bad design idea.

The high waists are just so uncomfortable for me, the crotch hangs so low, and when I sit down it rides waaay up. I'd much rather have snaps to snap the powder skirt to the pants and keep snow out. From the knee down the Klims are fine, knees up not so good. And the butt area is just too big for me. Love snowboard pants cause they fit like comfy jeans, but as tough or waterproof. Seems like I only got one season out of those pants.

if I am out of line posting here ladies, just let me know
BUT...I saw this while crusing around the "outside"

I had the Ascent pants and sold them for a few reasons

*the a$$ is huge in them....like HUGE
*the gaitor (like FBOMB Said) has 2 buttons and velcro - does not seal 100%
*shorter - I bought direct from HMK and was told the inseam was longer - didnt seam like it to me
*the cordura is stiff and uncomfortable, similar to KLIM stuff
*waist was also HUGE for a Large pant ( I am also not little @ 6'1" and 195lbs)

BUT, I DID stick w HMK as I love their Gambler line

I come from a snowboard background and the Gambler gear is very similar
whoever desgined this gear had their head on straight

the pants are VERY light, roomy and fit true (waist and leg length)
but also feature 15k waterproof and 10k breathability (KLIM is about 8k H20)

if ur in search of HMK - give the Gambler line a try
i personally think all HMK gear is superior - i also wear the Pro Boots, and Team glove

PS - the brown plaid and black seem to have a different feel as well
the black is pretty srandard but the brown plaid seem more waterproof??? if that makes sense
I went w the brown plaidn pants and black jacket

if ur interested, PM me and I will give you the name of the place I bought mine. I was A LOT cheaper than anywhere in Canada or US - like A LOT cheaper and still brand new!!!!

Last edited:
M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
I appreciate hearing everyone's opinion, men or women! I was looking at women's so I could get a bit shorter rise. I also just got an action jacket and though it's stiff, I think the fabric will hold up well. I have a lot of run ins with trees and always rip clothing, so I think it will be great for that. I'm bummed the gaitors don't seal all the way, they should.

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
I thought I would put Greg's info here, as I have been getting a few PM's asking for it
SO.....here ya go ladies!

Greg Jensen
MotoFrugals, Inc.
RockyMountainSnowmobile.com
Supermotopro.com
1182 N State Street
Orem, UT 84057
801-224-5073
801-224-5078 Fax
greg@motofrugals.com

they are a Snowest paid advertiser and supporter

ok....back to the "dark side" ;)
thanks for letting me post in here - it really is a "safe zone" though - u got it good here

Merry Christmas!!!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
If you can make a trip to Boise I think that I can have some selections for you to try on. That is good info on the Gambler line. I've had the stealth line but not the gambler so can't give you any more info then what you've heard.

On the Ascent pants I haven't noticed a problem with the gaitor seal or getting water/snow over the top of my boots but you do need to make sure you keep the snap down on your boot so the base of the leg doesnt come up when you are getting unstuck. My 70 ride pants have softened up significantly over the new set with time but have not lost their performance. I really like them. I'm 5' 8" 165 so the tall fit is not my concern:D. I think the Gambler and the Stealth line has the same fabric (not 100%) and it's definately lightweight and flexible irregardless of the weather.

Anyway pm me if you have a trip this way planned and i'll have Kirk send us some samples. Your part will be to report to all of the rest of the gals on SnoWest how you like the product if you decide to go with it. (?)

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
the gambler gear is the BEST gear HMK puts out for fit and style in my opinion!! get it while you can and i think EVERYONE shoudl request more of it to their local HMK rep!! Ladies, it fits GREAT and makes the a$$ look outstanding! Also the legs to waist ratio is a little more inline with chicks, longer inseam than waist. i wish they came in a long cause i STILL think HMK needs to do longer inseams for the ladies but that's my own personal struggle (well and quite a few other ladies i know!)

Anyway, get the gambler gear if you can, it looks great and if it performs anything like my other HMK gear it will DEF keep you warm and dry! i personally had to get the other gear cause it came in long and although I hate the way it fits in the a$$ and waist at least it's long enough....

good luck doo girl!

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I rode in the women's Ascent pant last season and never had any issues with the gator letting snow in. From our 4' deep Revy days to our 2' heavy WA snow, no issues. They are shorter (actually in women's sizing probably normal) so this year I'll be running the men's line. I 100% like how the HMK's hang on my hips, no high wasted belly riding stuff. They do run bigger, so if you normally wear a M try a small. I wore my Ascent pants last year on a 7* day here in WA (anyone in this state knows that is dang cold, wet cold, feel it in your bones cold) with wind blowing pretty hard and I was nice and toasty (with a Nike dry fit pant underneath).

I just received the Stealth pant, which I'd say is quite nice for those COLDASS days. Just got back from Revy in COLD COLD temps and they were perfect. And the fit is NICE. No baggy butt, long enough in the leg, no snow in anywhere, lots of pockets, nice thin and light feeling. And they have belt loops! :beer;

But remember, with my height, I'm wearing the men's line.

Premium Features