• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

All things equal, which climbs & floats better, ZX or Rev?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Sled Chassis v.2 is a 02, previously was a 03 (cased the first one). On the 02 I did the skid setback 3.5 back .75 down I think. With a 2" drop in the back. Track was a 15" x 151 camoplast challenger.

My guess was that you ended up with TOO much ski pressure, 3.5 back is pretty big on an 01', but the 02's already had the skid setback. (or was it a snowcheck?) Could have been the issue.....

I don't really CARE if I own the highest mark on the hill (but it can be nice:beer;), but I like the ZX for it's boondocking ability, I guess it really just comes down to personal preference, and personally, I am much more comfortable on my zx the way I have it setup than a rev.JMO:beer;

V

Vailguy

Apr 24, 2008
Foothills
I don't disagree with you Motley,

It comes down to personal preference. As far as the setback, It was my second one and was spot on. this particular tunnel was not setback yet... Ski's floated and glided beautifully, and the sled didn't plow. I guess one of my big likes about the rev is its operability and agility at very slow speeds. But hey, that could be "Rider" induced. I still have a lot to learn, the more the think I know, the more I know I don't.

-l-

I don't disagree with you Motley,

It comes down to personal preference. As far as the setback, It was my second one and was spot on. this particular tunnel was not setback yet... Ski's floated and glided beautifully, and the sled didn't plow. I guess one of my big likes about the rev is its operability and agility at very slow speeds. But hey, that could be "Rider" induced. I still have a lot to learn, the more the think I know, the more I know I don't.

-l-

Yeah alright, I HAVE seen a few 02's with the older tunnel, maybe they are a snowcheck? Yeah, maybe you guys have issues throwing the older sled around, I guess being 6'4" and 275 riding weight has its advantages!:D

haleyeah13

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Sheridan, WY
rev

I have rode a 2001 700 highmark for several years and this last year I bought a stock 07 rev xrs. It took awhile to get use 2 but after riding it a few times I wont even sit on my modded 01 700 because it doesn't even come close to the rev and it requires more work to get to the playing country. thats just my 2 cents though.

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Answer to your original question,which would be the all around best off trail sled if track,motor and skis were the same is the ZX .

B
Dec 4, 2007
I second that zx better all around 03 seamed to be the best, my skid is set back from the factory and I don't trench out seams the longer i go the farther I go, and I get to put stupid lines in trees that very few will follow

just my .02

p.s yes I've ridden the rev for many hours in the mountains like 60 or so but when set up for my rider style "tailwalking" it dosn't handle as well at all:beer;

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
My modded ZX boondocks and throws over better than Revs or XP's that I've ridden, but that's what I'm used to. I'd buy a new XP in a heartbeat if I wasn't tired of paying for toys. I don't have any trouble going where the new sleds go.:beer;:D:beer;

T
Nov 26, 2007
I've got a stock 03 800 151 zx that works just fine neighbor has 04 151 rev 800 side by side in fresh snow he's only a sled length higher. I've rode his for a weekend and found that 1 it did not float if was very front heavy, and 2 it was very uncomfortable to the ride. They also don't stand up to the abuse that a zx does. I'll keep my ZX until I find something that I like.

moving to rev

the group i ride with is almost all skidoo most on 144 revs one has a 151 rev
all o4 and 05
the rest of us 5 guys all on 800 01 summits
all close in riding ability with one guy being a great rider
when we all stop and climb our favorite areas and trade off sleds
all are pretty much equal in what they can do
unless "nameless" is riding he makes it look easy on any of the sleds
point being the rider has a ton to do with it
the big part at the end of the day the rev guys arent eating
advil like the rest of us
hence I moved to a rev this year and cant wait to learn the new
sled style

just MHO:beer;

T
Nov 26, 2007
15" wide vs 16" wide?

Yes mine is 15" and his his 16'', my sled motor is stock he has an RK tech head and also has reeds. Rider weight wise I'm heavier then he is. We swapped sleds same hill went till we were stuck and we were pretty close to being equal. the biggest complaint that I have with the rev is they feel heavy in the front, my brother has a vector and it feels lighter then the rev in the front

T
Nov 26, 2007
the group i ride with is almost all skidoo most on 144 revs one has a 151 rev
all o4 and 05
the rest of us 5 guys all on 800 01 summits
all close in riding ability with one guy being a great rider
when we all stop and climb our favorite areas and trade off sleds
all are pretty much equal in what they can do
unless "nameless" is riding he makes it look easy on any of the sleds
point being the rider has a ton to do with it
the big part at the end of the day the rev guys arent eating
advil like the rest of us
hence I moved to a rev this year and cant wait to learn the new
sled style

just MHO:beer;

I found that beer works better at the end of the day.

Premium Features