• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Disappointed with Yamaha after snow show

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
So I went to the snowshow today in Salt Lake City. I went over to the Yamaha corner and was checking out the Viper. I was looking to ask done questions about it but all the Yamaha people were sitting at a table chatting. I stood there looking at it for about fifteen minutes with no offer of help from anyone. I'm very sure Yamaha spent a lot of money on coming to that show but seems like a waste if they won't sell their product that does little to speak for itself compared to the other brands

I went around to the other manufacturer booths and it was quite a different story getting help there. Too bad Yamaha just doesn't seem to care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
I noticed the same thing.... doesnt matter to me since I already know what I want.... but to a good deal of people who go to the show in search of answers, they would have to go digging deep...

But then I stepped around back to the LCC built yamaha's and Troy was there and I chatted with him for a bit and he was a great exhibitor!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
maybe since Cat and Yammi are partners the Yammi guys are at Cat and the Cat guys are at Yamaha so now both groups have their heads stuck up their arse..??

BBNytro

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Estevan, Sask
Best way to get those guys attention is to either start ripping panels off or roll the sled over on to the handle bars then they come running.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Yammi wasn't even at the WA snow show, and I don't think Cat even had one with them. What a joke!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Well I guess it wasn't just me. After their whole speech about being dedicated to the industry a few months ago I would have expected a lot more from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It's not just the same at Salt Lake. Same deal at Hayday's and all the other snowmobile events that I've been to in Minnesota. Of all of the OEM display's at the events the Yamaha reps seem to be the least interested to talk to their customers. They're always either talking with each other or looking with distain at anyone who's looking at their sleds. Last spring at the big 4 OEM show in Mpls. where all of the buzz was revolving around the Viper it was the same deal. They spend the money on the eye candy models to lure people to take a look at their display but don't seem to give a hoot once you're there.

At all of the other OEM display's there always seems to be a positive vibe where the reps are busy or approaching anyone looking, but with the money Yamaha must spend at these events their reps just don't seem to get it. :noidea:

Don't get me wrong, I bleed blue but the vibe in the Yamaha booth at the shows I've been to has been lame.

Last edited:
B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
It's not just the same at Salt Lake. Same deal at Hayday's and all the other snowmobile events that I've been to in Minnesota. Of all of the OEM display's at the events the Yamaha reps seem to be the least interested to talk to their customers. They're always either talking with each other or looking with distain at anyone who's looking at their sleds. Last spring at the big 4 OEM show in Mpls. where all of the buzz was revolving around the Viper it was the same deal. They spend the money on the eye candy models to lure people to take a look at their display but don't seem to give a hoot once you're there.

At all of the other OEM display's there always seems to be a positive vibe where the reps are busy or approaching anyone looking, but with the money Yamaha must spend at these events their reps just don't seem to get it. :noidea:

Don't get me wrong, I bleed blue but the vibe in the Yamaha booth at the shows I've been to has been lame.

could be they dont have much interest in selling ac sleds:face-icon-small-win

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So I went to the snowshow today in Salt Lake City. I went over to the Yamaha corner and was checking out the Viper. I was looking to ask done questions about it but all the Yamaha people were sitting at a table chatting. I stood there looking at it for about fifteen minutes with no offer of help from anyone. I'm very sure Yamaha spent a lot of money on coming to that show but seems like a waste if they won't sell their product that does little to speak for itself compared to the other brands

I went around to the other manufacturer booths and it was quite a different story getting help there. Too bad Yamaha just doesn't seem to care.

I hate to say it, but I saw the very same thing.

I spent a good deal of time in the Yamaha Booth on Friday & Saturday, mostly talking to the MPI guys about their demo Viper they had on display.
On several occasions I even pointed out the fact that who ever was in charge of the Yamaha booth SHOULD BE FIRED for allowing 9 employees to all gather around a single table and just "Hang Out" while potential customers walked in and out of the booth WITHOUT every being greeted.

If I had been the show floor manager there is absolutely NO WAY I would have tolerated such behavior. Trade Shows are all about MEET & GREET! The whole point is to press the flesh, to ENGAGE IN CONVERSATION and show off your new toys. Yamaha missed a golden opportunity to win over new converts and buoy up their current customers.

The Viper is a good sled. I expect it will do quite well for Yamaha, especially when the MTX version comes out in Spring.

If you're going to play the game.
BE IN IT TO WIN IT!

L

lcc

Apr 25, 2008
Sorry to hear that nobody jumped up and helped you with questions, as I tried to answer and talk to anyone that I could while I was there. The nine employees that you talked about not all of them were actually employees, there was the Hillclimb team that was there to show how vested Yamaha is in the future of the mountain segment in the coming years, Yamaha is the only OEM to have a fully factory team testing and competing in RMSHA to prove that four strokes are competitive in competition. I think this year with the new chassis capable of winning.

I know that some of those guys have yet discovered that besides riding they also need to socialize with everyone, so I will take that blame because I threw them to the wolves you could say and they don't know much about the Viper yet. But they can't wait to start riding and learning everything about the new Viper.

They were there on their own dime to support Yamaha because of what Yamaha is doing for them and the future of this sport.

So if there are any questions I could answer, I would be Happy to answer them. either on here or you can call 307-654-6637 my name is Troy Johnson or pm me

Last edited by a moderator:

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
Denver snow show

We were at the Denver show a few weeks ago and Yamaha had a lame appearance there to. They had a Nytro behind one of the banners, you had to look for it. There might have been one or two Yamaha reps there. I was not impressed.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
They had a SOLID display at the Salt Lake Snow Snow.
Plenty of space and LOTS of Nytros.

But having made my living at trade shows for the last couple decades I can attest to how HARD it is to keep a team motivated and trained up on the product line.

If all of those people were not Yamaha Corporate Employees, then that makes it a whole lot harder on whoever was the show manager.

I just hate to see a lost opportunity for Yamaha to put their very best foot forward.

I think the Viper is going to be a bigger event than most members of this forum think. Time will tell.

S
Sep 30, 2012
Minot ND
Agree

I was at Haydays and hung around snapping photos and looking over the machines and not once was I approached and when I went to ask a question, they turned away. I am a die hard fan but this type of stuff really is not a good business approach. Especially since The Pro came out and every year you see more and more. Every time I ride people wonder why I stick with yamaha and now I'm beginning to ask the same question.

G
Nov 26, 2007
Disappointed 2

First year Yami guy who just made the transition and just wanted to talk turbos and just general stuff. Could not get one person to even look at me. Girl was pretty though:) I bet those boots were warm and water proof.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
They were great at Edmonton show

Thanks Handsome. Attend a Western Canadian show and we will do our best to engage with our customers. I lead the Team here and encourage our members to "scatter" when I see more than 2 "blue shirts" yacking to each other. Our customers come to see and talk sleds so we pride ourselves in making it an enjoyable experience for them. Lots of chatter on the SR Viper as we just got back from Saskatoon show with some upbeat enthusiasm on the product. Nice to see for sure.
Cheers and see you again in Edmonton next year.
RS

S

Suprx125

Dec 21, 2012
Wow, sorry to hear you guys were blown off. That kinda sucks especially when you have so many questions about new sleds out.

However, I went to the Novi snow show yesterday here in MI, and I have to say, Yamaha had a very good presence there. They had the 2014 lineup including every variation of the new Viper there. One of the factory reps did approch me while my kids were sitting on the SRX 120. I thought he was going to yell, but instead asked he could snap some pics of the kids sitting on it for a show report he had to fill out afterwards. I must say, super nice guy. He saw me eyeballing the Viper and asked if I had any questions. I did, so I started bombing him with them! Lol. He was very helpful and did not mind at all! He told me when & how to check for the test rides they were doing in MI. He gave me his card and told me to call him after I rode the new Viper to let him know how I liked it. Another rep then came over and started chatting with us also. I was very impressed by them & felt like my input mattered. They spoke about how much Yamaha values their customer base. It is unfortunate that they did not mirror this kind of customer interaction at the other shows. Just thought I would share my experience.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Kind of interesting that there would be such a difference in the different shows. Glad to hear that at least a majority of them sound like things were run well.

Premium Features