• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with mds weights

06m7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
2013 m1100t 162 with sandale divorce pipe and muffler im running right now at 1000ft and can't seem to keep it off the rev limiter. I have a base weight of 70.6 with a plate and two hex bolts and two nuts total 91.4 or so with a 75/275 cat gold not sure what to do its a real pain. I'm not going to do a re lash or anything just yet for warranty issues.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
Thats pretty low elevation so I have limited experience. Your primary weight sounds close considering the spring. What helix are you running? One thing we have learned with the big twin is you cannot let the motor get a run at your clutching. It makes so much torque down low that if your clutch dont catch it early in the power band it has to play catch up. Most of the time the clutch loses the battle and your on the limiter.

06m7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
The helix is stock not even sure what it is I was thinking of trying a 74/228 cat red primary

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
2013 m1100t 162 with sandale divorce pipe and muffler im running right now at 1000ft and can't seem to keep it off the rev limiter. I have a base weight of 70.6 with a plate and two hex bolts and two nuts total 91.4 or so with a 75/275 cat gold not sure what to do its a real pain. I'm not going to do a re lash or anything just yet for warranty issues.

Try a lighter primary spring. Should be able to look up the specs. If your Rev limiter is at high speed get one with a similar start rate and a looser finish and if it is just off Idle when you mash the throttle Which I assume it is. GO with a lighter start rate.

06m7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Sled is stock except for the mds and the pipe and can but the guys I bought it from claim 200 hp at sea level it seems like I can hit the limiter anytime I smash the throttle if I ease into it it's ok it shifts out around 8000-8100 which is also to high if I could put more weight I would but I'm maxed out

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Sled is stock except for the mds and the pipe and can but the guys I bought it from claim 200 hp at sea level it seems like I can hit the limiter anytime I smash the throttle if I ease into it it's ok it shifts out around 8000-8100 which is also to high if I could put more weight I would but I'm maxed out

Call steve at MDS tell him what it is doing and he will help you out. Mine did that as well even at 10000ft but that was on harder pack in deep snow it was perfect. I think you could add washers under the bolt head .8 grams.

06m7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Yeah I was looking at that it didn't look like it will clear

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
If you hit the limiter when you pin it more clutch weight or less primary spring wont fix it. this will onlly bring your top rpm down. What happens is you are either slipping the belt or spinning the track. I think you need a better helix. But like already said contact Racinstation he can help you out.

06m7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Sled is brand new it now has 200 miles weights are in the right place I have been talking to Steve just seen what u guys think

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
U might be the first long tracker that needs the spider shimmed if it is not grabbing the belt. Could also get a hold of dale at dalton's he's a proven guy in the flatlands.

06m7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
U might be the first long tracker that needs the spider shimmed if it is not grabbing the belt. Could also get a hold of dale at dalton's he's a proven guy in the flatlands.

not sure what u mean by this?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Pull the spring out of the primary and put the cover back on, then move it in and out to see if there is any binding, and check the weight to make sure they swing easy and clear.

What did steve say?

06m7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Steve said to try a weaker spring I know the weights are swinging free just not sure about binding ill check that tomorrow I also just noticed that the belt is loose so ill set deflection a bit better tomorrow. The deflection was good when the belt was new it now has 175 mile on belt

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Steve said to try a weaker spring I know the weights are swinging free just not sure about binding ill check that tomorrow I also just noticed that the belt is loose so ill set deflection a bit better tomorrow. The deflection was good when the belt was new it now has 175 mile on belt

I just want to let you know I experienced the same thing with my sled last year with MDS weights. So I am not suprised that you are experiencing it. I think the lighter spring will fix it. If not you may need to go to a different helix.

06m7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
tried the new spring nothing changed im starting to think maybe its an over boost or something not sure what to do it kinda sucks. not sure what to do as i have a trip planed for jan 3rd to revy and dont want it doing this out there. seems like the only guys complaining about this are at low elevations so i might be good. do u guys think i should put stock exhaust.. just looking for some feedback thanx

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Did you try the stock weights? We have 2 sleds with Jim's 215 flash, one with stock weights works fine only issue is the up shift can be a bit slow IMO. But on long pulls his rpm is good.

Premium Features