• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Garrett Turbo could be best on an 800R?

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
wanting to start a thread strictly on what turbo. Series, size, Trim, A/R of compressor and turbine housings.

I really would like guys to chime in solely on the turbo. Not who's kit is better or anything like that. (It would be way cool for the builders to chime in with their thoughts on what turbo.)

Heck even cat or polaris guys in the know, I think it would be a great thread.

Seems like the 2860RS or a 2871R would be in the running. Just whats the pro and cons of each? Heck even info/experience on a Gt30's would be cool!

:beer;:beer;:beer;

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Well, alot of that would depend on what your definition of best is.

The 2871 is largely considered to be the best turbo to use on higher boost level 800cc sleds. Some people prefer the 2860 on lower boost setups where the quickest spool time is desired. Then, on the full tilt, high boost ice drags setups the 30 series can be used to build mega boost efficiently.

It all depends on a group of variables. What boost do you want to run?? What elevation do you want to ride?? How do you ride your sled??

I would reccomend the 2871 setup personally.

Jake

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
which 2871? There's a couple to chose from.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I'm very aware of the fact that he sells Halverson kits. Thats great.

I know they run 2871's. I'm more interested in why that one than another one. I never got the impression he pushing his product.

So I still ask. Even you other guys. What turbo and why?

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
FYI: our moderator, Triple7, SELLS turbo kits. 3 guesses which turbo is in his kit.....and the first two guesses don't count.

Do you want to be the mod Dave B??

I would assume that this gentleman wants info on which turbos worked best so that he can assemble a kit for his sled. That is great. We are here to advance the turbo charging of Skidoo two strokes if we can. What am I supose to say?? That I recommend using a turbo other than the one we believe to be best?? Im pretty sure that this gentleman said that comment from the builders would be great. The last time I checked we are the only guys using a Garrett turbo on an XP. So, Dave B and the other hecklers, since you seem to know more about it than the guys who build kits, why dont you offer some advice on which turbo YOU feel is best and WHY.

I recommend the 2871 because it spools quickly, is capable of efficiently producing 20+ pounds of boost, and doesnt create any undersizing issues that cause a variety of conditions.

Im sorry for offering my input. I guess im just trying to "hock" turbo kits.

Jake

Forgot, 2871 with .86

Last edited:
C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Thanks Jake. I greatly welcome your input.

I have a feeling that i'm probably going to end up buying parts from most of the vendors out there to acomplish what i'm after. I guess it'll be a frankensled.:D

Does any particular trim make a difference?

You mentioned .86 turbine A/R. Why that say over a .6ish one? Breathability? I'm thinking outloud here.

Dont sweat the heckling, Triple 7. It happens. Way I see it, your the only one that has actually added real info.

Not to bag on DaveB and MtnDoo, but you guys have to agree triple 7 has been impartial on this thread. No where did I read buy my kit, which I put in my first post, Info from vendors/builders would be super.

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
My "nagging itch" doesn't come from vendors or builders. It comes from vendors or builders who are allowed to be moderators of SW. I don't know a flippin' thing about turbos. T7 has stuck his nose into EVERY turbo thread in the last 6 months....annoying enough....but now he's a mod. Whatever. There are several others who see the impropriety of mods being vendors....not just me. I'll just put him on the ignore switch with a-holes like Snowhawkadick.....

edit: I guess not.

Last edited:
C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I'm with you on the conflict of interest DaveB. As long as the posts and info aren't totally slanted, I think it is acceptable. Its when the your stuff sucks and mine doesn't (not saying that hasn't happend in other threads) thats where the problem lies.

That said, Triple7 I welcome your input.

G
Apr 23, 2008
With the smaller units there is a limit to the total useable boost.
so what:eek:, if your not looking to run to the edges its a viable option.

Two strokes are funny animals when under pressure, they tend to like lots of vapor and like it right now !
I've run some funny trims and a/r's .all head something I liked.

Now , I stick with bigger is better for the flats. I like the 3082's for the 1000's and 2876's for the 800s'.. so whaddaIknow..LOL:D:D:D

Gus

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Hey - poking a little fun at our new friend the uber turbo builder is all in good spirits!

Tripple7 seems to be a nice fellow, and obviously has a little bit of a pa$$ion for XP turbos. No quarrel there, I enjoy reading his posts and an occasional PM w/ him.

None-the-less, I'm simply stunned at the speed in which SW has allowed a vendor to dominate the SkiDoo Forums. Of course there are builders, buyers, gapers etc.. on here... I'm just impressed with the newfound zeal for this near-magical kit. I wish them the best of luck, and sure hope they move the ball forward so we all benefit!

;-)

MtnDoo

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I was really hoping you'd chime in Gus!

2876!? Really. 76 mm inducer is huge.... Please keep going. My guess is that you've probably done as much trial as anyone else around.

What type of lbs/min does an 800R like say to 10lbs or less. what about 10lbs or more?

Thoughts on trim? any relavance here?

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
^^^This dude (Gus) is the one you should talk too.

Totally impartial and knows more than most in the turbo two stroke game. He can point you in the right direction.

Im sorry im the mod. I didnt realize that what the mod has to say is so important that I can swing what everyone buys...still dont. I would reccomend lodging some legitimate complaints with the admin. Chris can have me step down anytime. He just needs someone to fill the spot with. Im good with that. Im not here to peeve anyone.

As for weighing in on every turbo thread and that being annoying??? There have been like 6 turbo Doo threads about two strokes. You openly admit you dont know anything about turbos but yet you critique any info I have to contribute?? Guys like Gus can do that any time he wants. He and a few more on here have more expirience than I do on the turbo front and im sure that they can find flaw in any number of things I think or my testing has led me to believe. But somebody who doesnt know anything about the field and my posts are annoying to you?? What the heck are you doing even clicking on the thread if thats how you look at?? If you dont want to learn anything from those more knowledgeable in a field than you and you dont have anything to contribute?? Maybe go show interest in threads you can contribute too.

Flame away, but how about you post up a thread specifically for personal attacks on me?? That would keep it from screwing up everybody elses thread.

Jake

Last edited:
C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I'm going to end up on the phone with gus one of these days i'm sure.

I want a forum of differnt folks that have all done/tried different things. Gus has been a phenomenal contributor of info. I would like an inteligent thread on turbo's.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Im sure you have already seen it but Gus's Carb Two Stroke Turbo thread in the Performance/Modified section has a ton of good info in it as well. Im sure you could get some more input on turbo choice over there.

Also, pm Fack on here. He has a 2860 (I think) working well on his Rev. Im sure he would point you in the right direction as well.

Jake

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I will be the oddball. I would reccommend the 2860. For me the big boost isnt needed, but spoolup time is more desirable. A buddy of mine had a 3071 on his 800HO, it didnt spool very quickly, but made big power. For me I stay 14psi or less, and still have a ton of fun.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I'm thinking of running somewhat in the 6-12 range. Most likely 6-8. I dont have alot of desire to ride at more power than that on an Xp. I think 180-200 would be fun ride. Great power but not too much. (who would have thought too much power is bad huh..... does that mean i'm getting old? i'm 26 btw.)

Main reason is that once you cross into that uber power range, lots of things have to be done to maintain it. As well as less engine life on a 2 stroke. I've gotten a couple of emails and pm's suggesting a 2860RS from guys that are have done builds.

Most emails said to be dont go smaller than a .86 A/R turbine housing.

One other point was target your desired HP and boost level. And weather(sp?)or not its high elevation or low elevation. And what type of riding (mixed, wide open only, or strict boondocking.)

One guy recomended a trim of 62 with a .60 A/R compressor housing, a tubine of 76 trim and the .86 A/R housing. this on a 2860RS.

(Off the top of my head, i thing a 2860 RS flows somthing like 30-35 lbs/min. The 2871R is much higher than that. I want to say well into the 40 something range.)

He's ran this on his sled with a .64 A/R turbine and said it was too tight. He found that 3/4 throttle made the same power as full. He feels that the .86 housing will help cure it. (up to 12 lbs of boost.) He also ran a 3071 in the mountains (9-10k) and felt lag was too dramatic. But the top end was good. He also mentioned that above 12lbs, the 2871 may be the better choice, but he said that he hasnt tested one yet. This was on a Rev with a series III engine. Ptek i believe.

I'm thinking an 800R will flow more base on its porting arangement and crankcase capacity. I have no means of quantifing that one.

Any other thoughts? What about a 2871 with a .64 turbine?

T
Jul 21, 2008
www.turboboyz.com
For us it is the 2871 with the .86 i like the mid range alot and believe that is where most folks are. If i want to turn up the boost then i can. This size on a 800 lets the engine make power with out over heating isses that have to do with flow. I have tried a lot of different turbos over the years and that is my turbo of choice In the Auto turbo side.

The other question that needs to be asked here is. which blowff and waste gate? these also add to the turbo sizing question as far as heat build.

Premium Features