• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 No Start- Out of Break In- Ran Great

R
Sep 25, 2009
Big Sky, MT
Here is the deal- Ive got an 850 Rmk 163 3". Its got 354 miles on it. Ran like a top for every single one of em. Pulling around 8150 with 68g at 9k feet. Started every 1st or 2nd pull every time without giving it throttle. Never changed plugs. No issues at all. After my last ride, popped it into my truck, let it sit outside overnight. Next morning went to unload, no start. Sounded flooded after 2 pulls, gave it 20 more and nothing. Popped it into the garage with the wheeler. Pulled plugs, soaking wet. Blew em out, cleaned em up, put em back in. Sled fires for 1/2 second then nothing no matter how many pulls. This has been consistent no matter if i hold it wide open, put new plugs in, burn/blow the fuel from the cylinders. Ive pulled it over with everything off and the plugs out over 50 times with the same result. Ive looked at all the basic stuff, ive owned 4 axys sleds and know the basic BS to get them going. Its going in for warranty tomorrow and i will update the post with whatever they find.

J
Dec 14, 2010
I have a 2019 Axys 850 174" track. I have about 11 hours on it and I seem to be having the same problem. It ran great with no issues until I hit 9 hours. That's when the first set of plugs got fouled. Ran OK for a bit after new plugs but now I'm having issues again. Anyone else?

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
I've got same problem. Ran great everytime and on the last ride. Brought it home started it, unloaded it, and ran it into the shop. Let it sit for couple hours. And shes dead. Sleds has 11 hours on it. Went into the dealer today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
If it is starting for 1 second and dying, I'm telling you, the plug wires are reversed. I know because a "friend" did this when he installed his turbo ;)

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
Mine does not start at all and the plugs are labeled PTO and mag right on the caps. They are not reversed. And it ran fine until I shut it off after unloading it then came back a couple hours later to move it.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Mine does not start at all and the plugs are labeled PTO and mag right on the caps. They are not reversed. And it ran fine until I shut it off after unloading it then came back a couple hours later to move it.

I had mine not want to start either. Pulling and then grabbing a handful of throttle always works. Kind of a finesse move but easy once you get it.

R
Sep 25, 2009
Big Sky, MT
Tried all the various ways to get it started. Wide open throttle, half cracked, no throttle. Pulled it over without plugs wide open to clear it out. Tried all of this multiple times. Its not the issue. Fires for 1/2 second with brand new clean plugs, then there is not a chance it will fire. Plugs come out sloppy wet after just 1 pull.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Sounds electronic.. like comp is dumping pure oil instead of fuel?? Any codes throwing?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
You may just have a shlt ton of gas in the case. So every time you go to pull it just drenches the plugs.

I had something similar happen to a cat a while ago. I had to do a hot plug start, hood off, flaps open, fuel line disconnected. I eventually got it to fire by heating up a plug with a torch (like glowing red hot), getting it in as quick as you can and then starting. It vaporizes the fuel so it doesn't put out the spark.

In my case it ran for like 10 minutes without the fuel line even attached.

Just a thought. Your drenched plugs make it sound like a similar issue. Mine was from overheating it on the way back to the truck the day before and so the thing must have been just dumping fuel in to cool it down. Next day, no starting and wet plugs no matter what I tried. I was burning off so much gas in the cylinders with a lighter it was getting scary. Mine would do the same with fresh plugs: fire for a second and then just repeat the cycle. I just had to get the gas out of there, one way or another.

Last edited:
R
Sep 25, 2009
Big Sky, MT
So get this. Loaded it on my flatbed last night and had it sitting outside. Zip tied the throttle wide open to help to maybe evaporate any fuel excess in the engine. Drove my truck 20 miles to work with the sled on it. -8 degrees this morning. Figured id try it one more time before bringing it into the dealer. Fired up first pull. Idk what the story is. Sled runs fine now. Starts no problem. No codes. No issues. Not a very conclusive fix.

Last edited:

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
So would it just be that you had so much fuel in it that it flooded out as soon as it started and thats why it shut down. And now the excess gas has evaporated and its fine?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Haha! You dried it out!

So what's the magic number with the flaps open? 60mph? 80mph?

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Idle ok with the Ziptie on it ??

My buddies 700 ripped across the street and pulled a garage door down before flipping on it's side and shredding a Civic .. before he caught up to grab the rubber band . He thought a Zip Tie was a bad idea, I'll let him know either works.

Glad you got it started without going in and waiting for them to start it right up .

Last edited:
Premium Features