• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Summit throttle issue and oil usage issue.

M
Dec 27, 2010
Washington
09 800 PTek after sitting during the week when you take off from the truck cruising up the road at low to mid rpm if you let off the throttle slowly the motor takes a couple seconds to come back to an idle. If you snap off the throttle it goes right back to an idle. Ride 5 miles and it doesn't do it the rest of the day regardless of how long the sled sits. During the time it would normally do it if you go from wide open to throttle closed it won't do it this is my riding partners sled and he just found out another guy he knows with the same sled started having the same exact issue. While riding the sled runs fine pulls like it should etc.

Part 2. This same sled last year started using way to much oil. We were coming out from a day of deep deep riding and about 5 miles from the truck his low oil light came on. He was down to below a quarter tank of oil. We filled the sled with fuel and he only used 8 gallons. The last ride of the year was 32 miles and he went through a quarter tank of oil just trail riding with the girlfriends. The oiler is in adjustment and the sled isn't smoking anymore than it used to.

Any thoughts here guys?

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
if the throttle cable is binding for some reason it can cause the cable to seperate @ the adjustment point. The cable housing will pull out of the adjuster and get stuck out. It can go in and out as you ride or get stuck out.

other possibility is one of the oil injection nipples on the motor has gone bad. It will not stop oil from flowing into the motor when sitting.

Last edited:
J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Common problem ... bad throttle cable.

The angle change at the oil pump frays the cable. Mine did it last year... I checked it 3-4 times while in the sled and the cable looked ok. When I pulled the motor it was stuck up in the case and was only holding on by one strand of wire.

Yours may have snapped. When the cable breaks it lets the oiler spin all the way around and sticks wide open giving WAY too much oil... they are designed this way as a fail safe.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Has the new cable been set to the correct length for the oil pump adjustment? ( 16.5 mm ) if I recall. Mine runs best at about 18mm but I've run it as loose as 21mm but it scared me to go so lean 18mm puts me around 32 to 1 depending on the ride.

Routing is very important too , check there.

The sticking in the first of the day can be improper lube... but it can also be an air leak causing a hanging idle. Check carb boots.

Antifreeze makes about the best cable lube there is , for any kind of cable from a throttle to control cables on a skidder winch.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Return

We have seen the need to put an auxiliary spring on the oil pump to make them return.

Premium Features