• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011/12 Alpine, WY Snow Conditions from Rockin M Ranch

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Rob here at the Rockin' M Ranch Cabin Rental Resort and Snowmobile Rentals rockinmranchwyoming.com
I will do my best, as in years past, to keep this current as possible.
Prior to this weekend we have had a few small flurries giving the valley few inches and reports from some of the hunters staying here of almost a foot on top.
Today (Sunday November 13th) I measured in several locations around the cabins between 9-11 inches that had fallen since Saturday Morning. It is a bit tough to get an accurate measurement due to the wind with the storm. The snow has great moisture content and should be the beginnings of a solid base. Most of the regional snotel locations are reading between 10-20", Targhee ski resort is at 27". The forecast has a chance of snow everyday this upcoming week. I will keep you updated.

Thanks for looking,
Rob Meikle (owner/operator)
Rockin' M Ranch
307-654-2288
rrmeikle@silverstar.com

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
It 's Sunday and has been snowing off and on since Thursday night and is snowing right now. The Valley has maybe picked up 2-3 inches these last few days but the mountains have been socked in most of the time. It looks like the mountains picked up anywhere from 6-12"s depending on the area. The snotel sites are as follows:
Spring creek (afton end) 26"
Blind Bull (greys river) 22"
Triple peak (greys river) 25"
Willow creek (Bedford) 25"
Targhee ski Resort (teton Range) 39"
Phillips bench (Teton pass, Jackson) 25"
*Keep in mind that snotel sites measure on "the stick" 12" could fall today and settle to 6 inches by the time you look at the snotel site the following day. The readings are also not real accurate if the storm has allot of wind with it.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
It's November 21st Monday about noon. About 4" has fallen here at the cabins since my last report Sunday morning.

J

jpstrr

Mar 14, 2009
Midwest
Just wanted to say thanks too Rob, and make a request, can you throw in a picture from time to time, then I can be even more jealous I am not there!

thanks

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Your Welcome!!!
I wish I had more to report these last few days. Not much moisture in these last few small storms. We had about an inch of fluff a few days ago. Otherwise the temps have stayed pretty cool and are holding on to what we have picked up this last month. Everthing is still white around here. I will report the next time we see something substantial.

P

poledge800

Dec 30, 2008
star valley wyoming
rode north fork of willow saturday and beedless to say we need a lot more snow to cover up the truck sized boulders the snow is unstable to we triggered one pretty good sized avalanche

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Rode Squaw Today

I rode up Squaw Creek on the Greys River trail today to check conditions. Main Greys River trail is in good condition. It is packed hard and fairly smooth. The snow has settled substantially to probably about 1 foot down low. I rode about 2/3 of the way to the top of Squaw (7500-8000 feet). The groomer has groomed about that far. There is about 18" out in the open. I'm sure that the basins and higher elevations are closer to three feet. In all, I would say trail riding is fine, but wouldn't consider getting off it till we get another storm on what we have. When that happens, we will need to be very careful of avalanches, for this last three weeks of cold has really crystalized our current snow which will be a lingering unstable deep layer to deal with throughout the season. I guess we have to be pretty greatful for what we have so far. I have seen it better and I have seen it allot worse for this time of the year. I will report when we see something substantial.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
1-2 inches yesterday here in the Valley. Snowing lightly today. Looks like it is snowing up high. Can't see the mountains.

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
Rode today more towards Gunsite Pass than Blindbull, snow was tracked, bare, and wind blown in most spots. We still managed to find so fresh stuff to keep us entertained all day, definitely need more snow! Didn't hit any rocks or anything (knock on wood). No pictures, I have a few videos I'll try to post this weekend.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Got a clinic booked with Dan Adams at the end of the month, sure hope we/you get some snow by then.

Premium Features