• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Smith and Morehouse

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
I have a friend looking to build a cabin not far from Smith and Morehouse. I'm not sure it's a place you can ride right from the cabin but are there places to ride nearby? Anything up Smith & Morehouse Creek or Red Pine Creek? Or maybe on the north side of the Weber River?

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
most north of the river is private prop. unless you have a golden key.;) however south is different story there are a lot of incredible places to ride. depends on where your buddy builds, but should not be an issue to get to some good riding areas right from the door.:beer;:beer;

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Has he bought the property already? If not he should check out Manorlands and uintalands on the north slope. Both areas you can ride right from your cabin to access hundreds of miles of atv and snowmobile trails without trailering.

B

bradb1us

Dec 10, 2008
Salt Lake City
My parents had a cabin in Pine Mountain a few years back.

We usually trailered the sleds up to Thousand Peaks or Smith and Morehouse. I don't remember being able to access awesome terrain directly from their property, but I could be wrong.

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
We usually trailered the sleds up to Thousand Peaks or Smith and Morehouse.

isn't Thousand Peaks private??
what level of riding is up S&M, intermediate, advanced, or extreme? is there a "safe" way to get to Trial Lake or the MLH from S&M?

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
yeah i'd say ! The soopa bowl =]!

whoa, whoa, whoa...you're telling me super bowl (yamaha, double, avalanche, etc) are all considered "Smith and Moorehouse"???

I kinda assumed S&M was riding areas *south* of HWY 183...especially with access blocked by private land for those popular areas north.

so with no legal way to get to the "Whitney" areas (super, dbl, etc) from S&M, what general landmarks would I look for to ride south?? Erickson Basin, Box Canyon, Mud Lake Falt or even as far out as Mount Watson or Trial Lake to connect up with the Mirror Lake Hwy?? (by the way, I'm making assumptions here that these areas might be ridable from looking at a map and camping there once in the summer and seeing so many dirt bikes heading up the road by Red Pine Creek).

B
Oct 10, 2008
SLC
whoa, whoa, whoa...you're telling me super bowl (yamaha, double, avalanche, etc) are all considered "Smith and Moorehouse"???

I kinda assumed S&M was riding areas *south* of HWY 183...especially with access blocked by private land for those popular areas north.

so with no legal way to get to the "Whitney" areas (super, dbl, etc) from S&M, what general landmarks would I look for to ride south?? Erickson Basin, Box Canyon, Mud Lake Falt or even as far out as Mount Watson or Trial Lake to connect up with the Mirror Lake Hwy?? (by the way, I'm making assumptions here that these areas might be ridable from looking at a map and camping there once in the summer and seeing so many dirt bikes heading up the road by Red Pine Creek).
super bowl is north west of smith and moorehouse

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
super bowl is north west of smith and moorehouse

yes, I get that from maps... but you can't legally *get* to super bowl from S&M, right? You can only get to the Whitney side from Coalville or Evanston.

everyone seems to be avoiding my question about any riding actually *near* the Smith and Morehouse Reservior...Erickson Basin, Box Canyon, Mud Lake Falt or even as far out as Mount Watson or Trial Lake to connect up with the Mirror Lake Hwy??

Yeah?? nay??

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
yes, I get that from maps... but you can't legally *get* to super bowl from S&M, right? You can only get to the Whitney side from Coalville or Evanston.

everyone seems to be avoiding my question about any riding actually *near* the Smith and Morehouse Reservior...Erickson Basin, Box Canyon, Mud Lake Falt or even as far out as Mount Watson or Trial Lake to connect up with the Mirror Lake Hwy??

Yeah?? nay??

I cannot speak for the other areas but Trial lake can be accessed from the smithmorehouse area, its a heckofaride though:face-icon-small-ton

S
In answer to your question. No you can not go from Smith and more house to Whitney. You have to cross over Thousand Peaks, which is private. They take snowmobile tours up into the superbowl. I know that they will try to kick you out of the super bowl if they see you in there. Whitney is East of Smith and More house and a little north. Your best bet for access is what you already said. Coalville, or Evanston, or even Soapstone but I would carry extra gas for that one. To get to Trial Lake from weber canyon is a feat. It is some rough country, dubed the "Lakes Back" It is not recomended unless you really know what you are doing.

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
or even Soapstone but I would carry extra gas for that one.

ok, but getting there from Soapstone would be accomplished by following the Mirror Lake Highway all the way north to the Whitney Lake Road... a long, long way - probably not all that fun by sled. I'm guessing you'd be better off driving around by car.

To get to Trial Lake from weber canyon is a feat. It is some rough country, dubed the "Lakes Back" It is not recomended unless you really know what you are doing.

so back to my original question then... the friend of mine looking at building a cabin near Smith and Morehouse would *not* be able to ride right from his cabin. he would have to trailer it out of weber canyon to someplace like Coalville or Soapstone...

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
ok, but getting there from Soapstone would be accomplished by following the Mirror Lake Highway all the way north to the Whitney Lake Road... a long, long way - probably not all that fun by sled. I'm guessing you'd be better off driving around by car.

so back to my original question then... the friend of mine looking at building a cabin near Smith and Morehouse would *not* be able to ride right from his cabin. he would have to trailer it out of weber canyon to someplace like Coalville or Soapstone...

Unless your Friend is friends with thousand peaks then no, I would not think it would be worth it for sledding, yes you can ride along the public accessed road around there but all the best riding is locked in by thousand peaks ranch and north of weber river is very troublesome terrain to be exploring in, smith morehouse is a pretty land locked area unless you know a few people, which I don't but some do:face-icon-small-win

S
A cabin for the sole purpose of sledding in that area may leave you feeling left out. Coalville and Soapstone are your two real options. Your best bet would be up in the manor lands, which is off of the mirror lake highway on the Evanston side. You would have public ground all at your fingertips. Let me know what you decide, I do title research for Summit and Wasatch county, I tend to have access to more information on property than the actual owner.

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
A cabin for the sole purpose of sledding in that area may leave you feeling left out.

great, thanks for the confirmation! I think it's super confusing to have people call those popular Whitney riding areas "Smith and Morehouse" when you can't get to them from Smith and Morehouse!! Maybe it made sense back in the day when Thousand Peaks didn't block it - but how long has that been, for years??

Your best bet would be up in the manor lands, which is off of the mirror lake highway on the Evanston side.

where is Manor Lands with respect to that high priced development called Monviso?

S
Monviso is further south of the Manor Lands. And on the opposite side of the road. It is the area east of the highway basicly as soon as you cross over into Utah. Monviso is a swear word to me. There was some dirty politics to get the project passed. Let me know if you need any information on any of the subdivisions in the area.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I cannot speak for the other areas but Trial lake can be accessed from the smithmorehouse area, its a heckofaride though:face-icon-small-ton

So... 10 years later... is this alot more doable with newer sleds? Was exploring google earth a bit, looks like it would make for a fun day with a few good riders.

Premium Features