• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which radio to by under 50 dollars?

Runn732

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Helena, MT
Ok guys need some advice, after reading the posts in this thread I am a little confused on which would be a good radio to go with for my son and I to use while out riding. I dont have a ham operator license, but I am a pilot and have an FCC restricted radio operators permit. I'm not sure what that allows or even pertains to these types of radios? I dont want to shell out the cash for BCA radios as it looks like the BaoFeng's seem to work good, just not sure what model to go with. Any input would be great.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Runn732

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Helena, MT
Thanks for the reply, that seems like a pretty good deal for two radios. I read the info on them, the way I understand it is you can lock out the ham and High freq. portion of the radio so there is no risk of transmitting on those? Also, no license is required unless you want to use the ham freqs? Thanks

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
As i understand it, you will need to program the radios to get rid of the HAM channels and put in the ones you want to use that don't require a license. Very easy to do with the correct cable and the CHIRP program. The video goes over all of this step by step.

When it is just us Baofeng users riding, we use the MURS channels, but i have the other GMRS and FRS channels in there as well for those days when we ride with those who have the other kind of radios. I don't program in the sub (privacy) channels since i don't feel they are necessary.

Also i have several other channels for repeaters in case of an emergency, plus search and rescue, weather, and many others.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Yes, that is correct. We do this all the time and it works well with other radios as long as they are on the same frequency. The others (that dont have Baofeng radios) say they can hear me louder and farther away than any of the other radios. Must be that these transmit at 5 watts.

Premium Features