• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear Suspension Sag

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Does anyone know how much rear sag these sleds are supposed to have? after greasing my skid last night I noticed my sag is at 3" with nobody even on it, it maybe had 1" of sag last year? didn't really measure it. 2016 with 300 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
I swear this is just a characteristic of the Polaris skid suspension. My 2014 Pro used to sag a lot, so much so that I assumed I blew out the shocks somehow. Took it to the dealer and along the way the bouncing on the road and trailor must have worked the gasses as the suspension was then more "tight". Never thought about it again after that but always noticed it sagged in the garage but once out riding it would be fine. Maybe others know more but just wanted to chime in that I've noticed this before as well....

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Need more sled specifics. Big difference between, say a Switchback Assault and a 155 Pro.

Make certain you're sled isn't sitting on casters. It'll sag a ton more when on them and give you very false readings.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
just the standard red/black pro 155 non clickers. track tension feels close to spec, sled is sitting flat on my conc floor.

i'll see how it rides next week when i'm out, if it rides fine and doesn't bottom out i'm ok with it, might play with my preload a little but i had it set pretty close last year so don't want to adjust to far.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Did you have your skis up on skates? I don't know why but when I have my skis elevated the rear suspension sags just sitting. If I pull the skates out from under the skis, I can stand on the running boards and my sag is ~ 1-1/2 "

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Did you have your skis up on skates? I don't know why but when I have my skis elevated the rear suspension sags just sitting. If I pull the skates out from under the skis, I can stand on the running boards and my sag is ~ 1-1/2 "

sled is on flat ground

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Once your rear shocks are warmed up, most of it will go away, coil overs more so then an air shock.
Had Fox Float 3's in a rear skid with quite a bit of sag, and when we asked the Fox dealer about it, they said you do want some degree of sag. When your sled is flying down the trail you want your suspension to drop into the hole(s) / whoops and let the shock soak it up. If you were to have zero sag, the entire weight of the sled (or tunnel) would be dropping in and cause more bottoming/control issues, etc.
They referenced a baja trophy truck, and how much sag they run, and rip across some nasty shiat, as the suspension drops into the terrain while the body has minimal movement.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
1) Sag is good. The idea is for the skid to track the ground, keeping in contact with the snow. The Baja reference was good.

2) Oil warming up will change the damping characteristics, but not the sag. Sag is the byproduct of spring alone. Springs = position sensitive. (velocity characteristics are static) Damping = velocity sensitive (position characteristics static...more or less)

3) You know you have a problem if your skid feels like a pogo stick. (no rebound is a tell tale way something needs a rebuild)

4)Excessive bottoming too can indicate this.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
thanks for everyone's input, i don't really care about it soaking whoops or trail riding, i need it for powder and sidehilling, and in my experience you want your skid to be as tall as possible so your not dragging your boards. i'll just have to ride it and see how it reacts. might be an excuse to upgrade shocks :)

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Pick it up and put a 2x4 under the FTS and see if it goes away .. your skid is in this state when riding .

I've shown literally 100s of people this after rebuilding their shocks !!
It's a eye opener for all !!

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
Been through this once before...

The reg. RMK Models.. Have like 4 settings... LAME..

As the Pros you have a wide range with a turn of the jam nut.

Also.. If you get looking polaris Has since change the spring rate in the front track shock

New spring is like a 140.. vs a 110 i believe..

Stiffer New spring!!! Whole new sled!!

Much Better!!

my.02

C
Jan 4, 2009
sw montana
could be wrong but the way i adjust is to adjust rear shock untill up at its tallest then make sure it sags couple of inches with my weight got to adjust front skid shock accordingly. i do mostly off trail riding

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Trying to set up any vehicle with 0 static sag is usually a huge suspension fail.

Go by the rider weight in the owners manual for a baseline on spring length

Premium Features