• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Artic Cat M6000 vs M8000

Q
Mar 2, 2018
Last year was my first year of sledding. I am 43, 5'5 and 135 pounds. I improved a lot over my first year of riding but never was able to get the sled I was riding on it's side, or rather, I could get it here but never keep it. Last year I was riding a 2012 Cat 8000, my husband sold that to buy himself an Alpha 1 and gave me his 2017 8000. He is thinking of trading that for a 2017 M 6000 Sno Pro because he thinks it will be easier for me to ride. I wish I could ride the 6000 first before making the exchange but that is not an option. What are your thoughts???

We live in MT and mostly ride in the mountains on ungroomed trails. We do a lot of riding in fairly steep terrain. Side hilling is necessary at times where we ride and what I struggle with most Confidence was a big issue at first but once I discovered the throttle is my friend that was less of an issue. We often ride all day and I am always fatigued by the end. My husband does not care if I want a bigger sled next year, just wants me to be able to have fun and keep up with him and the boys better this year.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I ride with my wife, 5 daughters, and son. Kids are 10-19
We have an m5,6, 2-7’s, and the rest are 8’s.
They all prefer the m-8, with the exception of my youngest daughter who fits her m5 perfectly.

We are in an area where my kids have never seen a groomed trail, all backcountry riding.

Our experience is the 8 will lighten up with horsepower, giving more ski lift than the six.

The actual sled wieght difference is marginal, the extra power is more forgiving in a tough spot.
Going from a 12 to 17 will be night and day difference in handling.

The last m6 we bought was sold after one year, replaced with an m8.

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
I prefer the 800 and don't think having the 600 will make it much easier for you to keep up. Learn your machine and the more confident you get with it the better you will keep up. Take other woman with also! :face-icon-small-hap

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
16 and newer cats are way easier to ride. Only con of the 800 vs. 600 is they are very difficult to pull start. I think you will be better off with the 800 though.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
You are coming off one of the worst handling sleds that Cat has built, you will love the 17. I hated my 12, it was exhausting to try to keep on a sidehill. I bought a 14 with the 16 front end and was amazed at how easy it was to ride around in a field on one ski. I sold that sled right away but my 8 year old now has a 16 M6000, I think that is going to be a great sled for him.
800 vs 600 I wouldn't worry about. You don't need to use it all but is nice to have it if you do need it.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Tell him he doesn’t even need to gift wrap it. :face-icon-small-coo

B99400FF-66EE-4E5B-B465-6E74C6FC47D7_zpsillzzz0b.jpeg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Get the Alpha 600, it has estart!
Other than wheelies and big hills, it will keep up with the 800!
I bet 600 Alpha will out climb the '12 800 by a fair amount!
Did i mention estart!? Lol

Q
Mar 2, 2018
We found some snow and did some trail riding yesterday, my first impression was EHHHH....to be fair though we do not normally ride trails and the trail we were on had a large drop to one side almost the entire day and while I know I am not going to go over the edge I can never stop thinking about going over the edge :face-icon-small-dis My husband had also wiped the seat down and it was SLIPPERY so I do not think that helped my initial impression, I am almost fell off the first two times I put my knee on the seat. This sled is a lot narrower then my 12 was so that will take some getting used to also.

I am hoping I will like it better after I get to do some meadow riding in deep snow. I took my husbands Alpha for a zip and was sold....I told him I should not ride it because now I want one, I do prefer the feeling of the extra power.

The electric start was nice starting out but I do not have to much trouble pulling them once they are warmed up. I will post another update once I can really try getting it on its side....It is just not going to happen when I am riding near a cliff!

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
My wife went from a 700 to the 2014 600 wich I put the 2016 front end on and now a 2016 800. The 800 allows for the option to throttle out easier than the 600. Very little difference in weight, stick with the 800.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
ive never understood men who put their wives on their old sled and lead them around on their brand new smooth one. the alpha is specifically designed to maneuver better in your area of struggle. even the bottoms of the skis were improved. a conversation needs to be had! if the 17 is rocking stock skis still, at least take his card and order yourself a set of SLP Mohawks and make him put them on for you, before you go diving off that cliff. the stock skis are just unpredictable. my wife noticed it. Figure out where he has the shocks set (fox floats?) and maybe read up on what others are doing, it makes a huge difference. less pressure on front skis will help ya hold it over. if they're floats, turn sled on its side when adjusting so weight is off of them.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
ive never understood men who put their wives on their old sled and lead them around on their brand new smooth one. the alpha is specifically designed to maneuver better in your area of struggle. even the bottoms of the skis were improved. a conversation needs to be had! if the 17 is rocking stock skis still, at least take his card and order yourself a set of SLP Mohawks and make him put them on for you, before you go diving off that cliff. the stock skis are just unpredictable. my wife noticed it. Figure out where he has the shocks set (fox floats?) and maybe read up on what others are doing, it makes a huge difference. less pressure on front skis will help ya hold it over. if they're floats, turn sled on its side when adjusting so weight is off of them.

Yah, agree. If my wife rode anything other than fun runs or had any interest in actual riding, she would be on the same iron as I am.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Terry: "hunny you must be overriding it, watch me on my lighter new sled with a normal power band and more traditional rider position..."

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That goes completely over my head. You are right. The alpha is new. The powerband is what you make it. Not lurchy. I am also lost on traditional rider position. The skidoo is probably the same weight. They both ride light and both capable sleds. One is no better or worse than the other. Does no good to baby people.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Just to clarify, my wife REALLY does not ride anything other than two fun runs a year, lol. On an 03 Beavertail MXZ 800 Rev. I may have exaggerated, if she was interested in MT riding she would not have a 2019 Summit, but something more capable than an MXZ unless she really got into it. ;)

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Not much to understand. Most wives ride what THEY want.
This includes those that stay home and do other activities.

My wife rides a 2011 m8. She has test ridden dozens of others and simply loves hers. I even picked up a new one a couple years ago thinking she just needed more time to get used to it....she rode and adjusted it for a few rides, gave an honest effort, then gave it to my sixteen year old daughter, who has loved it.

Guys I ride with have all done similar.

My wife has ridden with me for 20 years, done a lot of couples rides.
I have never seen a wife that was forced to be there, or that rode a sled she hated.

There may be some wives out there wishing for a newer sled, but chances are so is their husband and finances are standing in the way for both of them. My next door nieghbor and his wife for example, are on sleds from 30 years ago.
I see them almost weekly for three months of the year with grins from ear to ear as they rip around doing what they love with what they have.....

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
obviously my comment doesn't apply to everyone. heck I just got my wife a nice older 440 fan. she doesnt come out with the boys on the rowdy days. Im talking about those who take theirs out to hang with the boys like the OP. thats who the threads about. Many couples out there like her too, I threw my advice out..in her shoes my wife would be on the new one.

K

kxcorky

Jan 13, 2009
Boise, ID
Or you could be the opposite. My husband rode the old M8 for a season while I got a Pro... he loved every minute of it but it wasn't fair. He wouldn't have cared either way, but we both have an Axys now and he is a much better rider than me already.

C
Feb 8, 2018
Terry: "hunny you must be overriding it, watch me on my lighter new sled with a normal power band and more traditional rider position..."

This^^^ along with “just giv’r” and “do what I do”...unhelpful- yea you’ve been riding in the mountains since you were born and have a good 50-60lbs on me along with the muscle memory to get your sled to do what you want.

Put the newbie on the best piece of gear you have, yea you don’t want to spend 20g on a sled she’s only going to ride a few times a year so if you buy something older suck it up and ride the older heavier sled when you take her out and give her yours to ride. Unless you don’t actually want her to have any fun and you just want an excuse to leave her behind.. then by all means give her the old junk and keep the best for yourself and when she’s struggling and getting stuck every 5 feet say “just giv’r” and “aren’t you watching what I’m doing? Just do that”.

Premium Features