• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trails West Power Ramp

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Saw youtube video of the new power ramp for 2019 Trails West RPM trailers. I'm rolling my eyes at this idea!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gA2qoaAppv8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Must be for the short track haulers. Talk about one more thing to break. Can you imagine not being able to depart to ride or from a lot due to the ramp stuck in an open position? Moves like some squirrels are running in a wheel to lift the door. If you can't open or close a door, better stay on the trail.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
That's what I was thinking, I could be half way down the mountain and that rear ramp wouldn't be fully closed yet.

I would completely agree.................why exactly would you want this??? Not only a waste money but also a waste of time standing there ! Plus it just looks like something that would cause you an unwanted headache at the most inopportune time!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Want to know if there is a MANUAL BYPASS system so we could open or close it when the battery has gone DEAD??

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Want to know if there is a MANUAL BYPASS system so we could open or close it when the battery has gone DEAD??

Or pull the disconnects if something freezes/binds up on the system. How many trailers in the winter time are filled up with road grime/snow/ice at the rear bumper of the trailer? Notice where that system is located at!

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I hauled one of the trails west back from the Jackson climbs for the owner of a company my wife works with. They are an electronic linear actuator that opens/ shuts them. Kinda neat but I don’t think they will last long hanging under the trailer exposed to the elements. As far as a manual bypass I didn’t look to see if there was one but wouldn’t be difficult to pull the pin at end of actuator. It would suck having to lay under the trailer to do that though. On a side note the trails west trailers are pretty cool but the one I pulled from Jackson to Minnesota had quite a few chips in the black powder coat already and I just have firestone trans force for tires and my mud flaps are only about 5” off the ground. I would hate to see one behind one of the many lifted trucks we see out west after a season of use

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Have to leave an hour early to have extra time to get ramp up. No thanks. It would have been nice to have something like a heater that works good instead of this gimmick.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Gotta go with a thumbs down on this one.

By the time that power ramp gets shut i could have mine shut (manually) and been 1/2 mile down the road.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
With those actuators hanging down under the trailer, I can only imagine the issues you could encounter from pulling out of fuel stations, a thousand miles of travel/ice/slush and the possibility of damaging them when driving through a rough or unplowed road.

Premium Features