• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing the shield on stock pipe

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
Will it hurt the performance of the pipe to remove the heat shield? I tore mine off and then got to thinking that it might be on to keep the pipe hot enough to work right. Its on a 670 and I opened up my hood for air circulation. It does get quite abit of snow in there in the deep stuff. I took it off for weight loss.

R
You're kidding right?

Will it hurt the performance of the pipe to remove the heat shield? I tore mine off and then got to thinking that it might be on to keep the pipe hot enough to work right. Its on a 670 and I opened up my hood for air circulation. It does get quite abit of snow in there in the deep stuff. I took it off for weight loss.

Keeps the pipe warm and the parts around the pipe from getting cooked....not enough weight to justify removal IMO.:confused:

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
I removed the clam shell and ceramic coated mine---did this on three sleds and found that the pipe worked well, the coating kept the heat in and I lost about 4.5#. My Hotdogger never gets hot enough to cook food, merely warming up stuff. I did, however, recently install a small piece of the shell at the front grill of the REV to keep snow off the pipe.

I would not recommend a naked pipe---tooo much heat loss.

I've been running mine without a heatshield on it all year, ceramic coaters were toooooo busy! I don't think the older chassis have to worry about melting other stuff as much as the rev's do, just more room for circulation! I haven't melted anything or noticed any hp change, but I could see a slight incease in hp with a little more heat in it, like ceramic coating.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
....not enough weight to justify removal IMO.:confused:

I highly disagree. This weight loss mod comes in at about the cheapest weight loss there is except for the freebies. You MUST ceramic coat it to maintain your performance for the pipe to heat up.

weight loss = about 5 lbs on a 670, ceramic coating ='s about 1lb & $75, 75 / 4 = about $18 a pound. Try that with any other lite wieght mod, you won't even come close.

Plus, it looks kewl:cool:

J
Feb 4, 2008
I highly disagree. This weight loss mod comes in at about the cheapest weight loss there is except for the freebies. You MUST ceramic coat it to maintain your performance for the pipe to heat up.

weight loss = about 5 lbs on a 670, ceramic coating ='s about 1lb & $75, 75 / 4 = about $18 a pound. Try that with any other lite wieght mod, you won't even come close.

what abought using that white heat resistant cloth pipe wrap stuff?

R
5 lbs.???????

The ceramic coating was not mentioned in the original post....it is a viable option if you want to fork out the dough and it does look cool.

I gotta question the 5 lb. clamshell though....WTF? A 4-pc. heat shield assy. off a REV, bands and springs included can't weigh more than 2-3 lbs.? I know the old ZX pipe was bigger than the REV's but c'mon Slim? :eek:

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
I have weighed them on each sled I have owned and done this mod to (7 sleds), they are 4 lbs off our 2 new XP's, the old 670's are right at 5 lbs. give or take an few ounces, the ceremaic coating is not quite 1 lb etc., so all in all, a 3 - 4 lb savings, 4 on the 670.

R
Who would've thought?

I have weighed them on each sled I have owned and done this mod to (7 sleds), they are 4 lbs off our 2 new XP's, the old 670's are right at 5 lbs. give or take an few ounces, the ceremaic coating is not quite 1 lb etc., so all in all, a 3 - 4 lb savings, 4 on the 670.

How wet was the insulation when you were weighing them things? ;) Curious if you did this mod when the pipes were new and clean or after running them for a bit......I heard the local ceramic coater here has issues with prepping oily 2-stroke pipes...LOL

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
All the used pipes and y-pipes that I have had coated (several) have ALL cracked. If the pipe is new you will be OK, but I suspect the heat cycles followed by the coating process makes things just a little too brittle.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I think keeping heat away from the pulleys and engine is worth more than a few lbs. Id coat the pipe AND put the clamshell back on. If i buy a aftermarket pipe i will order it coated and see if i can get the clam to go back on. sj

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
The ceramic coating guy I use cleans the inside of the pipe. He's more pricey at $125.00 According to my ultra accurate fish scale the clam shell on the 04 REV weighs 4.5#. I was not aware that the CC weighed 1#, but even so, $35.71/lbs is pretty cheap considering the other advantages.

When we used manifoold wrap, we painted the pipe with high temp paint and wrapped the pipe while still wet---sort of a glue to help keep the wrap in place along with numerous straps.

Premium Features