• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Evol/Evol R vs Raptor shocks?

mntnguide

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
Jackson, WY
I know shocks get brought up plenty, but anyone willing to share their thoughts i appreciate it. .

I am going to upgrade all my stock suspension on my 13 XM sp...its time for sure. I have already sent an email to Tom, but just wanted to get some thoughts from those of you that have rode these shocks. Money is an issue, so I cannot afford to go with the Emotion plus front ski shocks. . So I am thinking of doing Toms Factory Ride kit, then putting either Float Evol or Evol R's on the front.

For those of you that ride fox, Is it really worth spending the $200 more on the Evol R's to get the rebound adjustment over just the Evol when on a money budget? My style of riding is strictly powder/backcountry with minimal trails to get out being that i live in western WY.

I also am considering Raptors on the front skis, but don't think i can afford to fork out over $2000 for Raptor all the way around. I appreciate any help from those of you that have been riding better shocks than me!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I know shocks get brought up plenty, but anyone willing to share their thoughts i appreciate it. .

I am going to upgrade all my stock suspension on my 13 XM sp...its time for sure. I have already sent an email to Tom, but just wanted to get some thoughts from those of you that have rode these shocks. Money is an issue, so I cannot afford to go with the Emotion plus front ski shocks. . So I am thinking of doing Toms Factory Ride kit, then putting either Float Evol or Evol R's on the front.

For those of you that ride fox, Is it really worth spending the $200 more on the Evol R's to get the rebound adjustment over just the Evol when on a money budget? My style of riding is strictly powder/backcountry with minimal trails to get out being that i live in western WY.

I also am considering Raptors on the front skis, but don't think i can afford to fork out over $2000 for Raptor all the way around. I appreciate any help from those of you that have been riding better shocks than me!
both really great shoxs. Raptors will add 3 Lbs per shox over the Fox. they are a premium shox however heavy.better suited for the bumps than powder riding JMO. I had a pair of Raptors and couldn't get myself to add the extra weight however the adjustability and quality were top notch.Toms latest valving on the R,s are really plush.

sledhead1

Lifetime Membership
Mar 6, 2010
Elka's would be my choice. I like the fox's for big bumps and bottoming resistance. Until i see raptors in more races and used by more pro instead of all the cabin posers. Not knocking the shock as i have never used them, they just seem to be an up sell by the dealers.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Raptors are great, I know a lot of guys using them and they are very happy with them. The floats will have more adjustment but I find due to temperature change they are less consistent and you will be adjusting them a lot more. Elka's are awesome but that much more money again than the raptors.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I was never a air shock fan in past years, but the newer Evol-'s and X's are a huge improvement. I like the R's for being able to run the main chamber mushy soft while having the R chamber for bottom our resistance. The best of both worlds once you get them dialed. I run them on a XM with Toms skid in back, its a great setup and loses a little weight.

ski-doo-it

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2009
woodinville
X-2

What Brew said.

I run the Evols and really like the way they preform over stock, you will not
be disappointed.
I ride 95% powder and the trail is much smoother as another benefit.
:face-icon-small-coo

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
You can't go wrong with Tom's Foxes. Many choices, as far as how much you want to spend. I put his basic Factory Ride kit on the back of my 162 Summit last year, and basic Float 3s on the front. HUGE improvement over stock. I would place it as almost as good as my Freeride, but not quite. Keep in mind, that was a $1300-$1400 setup, for all four shocks. And there are two more levels where you can go, as far as ride quality and price. Actually, 3 more levels on the ski shocks and large amount of combos for the rear. (Ski shocks, Floats 3, Float 3 Evol, Float 3 Evol R, FLoat 3 RC2.) Tom will mix and match for the rear, as far as different shocks. The biggest benefit when buying Tom's is free revalves, or the established valving that he has come up with for the shocks he sells.
My Emo R/R kit will be here Tuesday, I will post pics and specific info in a different thread.

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
Elka's would be my choice. I like the fox's for big bumps and bottoming resistance. Until i see raptors in more races and used by more pro instead of all the cabin posers. Not knocking the shock as i have never used them, they just seem to be an up sell by the dealers.

Raptor is a small company. It will be some time if ever before you see Jake paying people to run his shocks. Fox has the pockets to give away and pay riders to use their shocks.

And when you consider the weight gain, the pros don't want that weight gain. That says nothing about how awesome the Raptors are for regular people though.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Raptor is a small company. It will be some time if ever before you see Jake paying people to run his shocks. Fox has the pockets to give away and pay riders to use their shocks.

And when you consider the weight gain, the pros don't want that weight gain. That says nothing about how awesome the Raptors are for regular people though.

Even though i couldn't get myself to run the Raptors due to weight I felt Jake was on top of his game for customer support and service, Really second to none, He was fully understanding when i changed directions. No doubt the shox works great., I really see the Raptors more suited for dirt sports where the lbs is not such an ordeal.A sled hammering the trail bumps would also be a good fit.

mntnguide

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
Jackson, WY
Thanks everyone. I am waiting to hear back from Tom through email, and hopefully get something figured out there. . I talked to Jake and agree that he was very helpful and I am sure I would be happy with his shocks, but i just can't put out over $2K for shocks right now. And I think i should just stay with one brand all the way around. Appreciate your guys words.. Its been dumping here and I'm ready to get out!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
My exact sentiments for my personal ride.

The raptor guys do amazing work and the shocks run awesome. That being said, they are fairly spendy. The longevity is also impressive, seen guys put 2k + of hard mountain miles on a set of shocks and they still ride like new where most shocks need a serious overhaul at that point.

The new float 3's have really stepped up the air shock game, but as far as ride quality goes, the coil overs are hard to beat. For the price they are a nice upgrade from stock and do offer some massive adjust-ability.

Premium Features