• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need GPS advice

B
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, Colorado
I am looking for a GPS unit that I can mount on my snowmobiles so that I can see where I am and see where my other sled is too. Is this possible? I also want to move them to my ATV's and dirtbikes in the summer months.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, Colorado
I see that the Garmin Rino has position reporting technology that allows you to report your position to other Garmin devices and it will display on their map. Has anyone on this forum used this feature on sleds and how well does it work? Does it work off of the 2 way radio in the unit? If so what kind of range do they have? Thanks for any input!:face-icon-small-hap

skibumsd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
all garmin rinos have the feature to show the other garmin rinos. How far depends on what radio you have. the 100 series i believe only have 2 mile and the 500 and above all have 5 mile range and it does work off the radio signal. The new 600 series ones will show you satellite images for your map so you can see where there is a clearing or what kind of terrain your riding in to pretty nice feature and the screen is much bigger and touch screen. You can also send text messages to the other radios so if the radio is on your handle bar you can see if someone is trying to call or get ahold of you. One of the best sledding and atv or outdoors tools i have ever bought. I even use them skiing in biog resorts to find ski partners that wondered off in the trees. They are expensive but well worth it if you have more than one!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have the old 500 series and they work 5 miles with line of sight

In the trees a couple miles at best

Thru a mountain less than a mile.

There are "demo" videos on the Garmin site.

Premium Features