• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running poorly, but no codes

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ok I am in a PM conversation with Franz (Jeff) about a billet x-member as we speak. That would be problem #1's solution.

The clutch, well I do have a spare inner sheave, so its possible to have someone build a clutch for me with the parts I have. You may have seen my post about purchasing a spare parts sled... if that clutch is good I could finish the season with it.... have to see how the deal on the sled works out next week.

The idle problem... have to have a good look at the motor when its apart. If it's mechanical I will catch it then, if not... I think I'll be installing my known good stator and swapping more wiring and sensors.

If you don't wind up getting that spare sled I know my friend Sleddude has the original 06 clutch from when we did the crank upgrade still for sale. I was gonna buy it when my spider came loose and instead had the dealer service mine.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Seth, I'll see how things unfold next week with the other parts sled.
Time to go pull my engine! I should have it on the bench in my basement to work on tonight. Pics to follow...:brokenheart:

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Record time today. Engine out, and on my bench in 1 hour! Getting entirely too efficient at this:face-icon-small-dis
Here's the pics:
IMGP0004.jpg

IMGP0007.jpg

Complete engine disassembly tonight

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Looks like she was eating coolant on the mag side. also I see a little bit of oil spray out the water pump seal tell-tale hole. I imagine it was running bad because of the coolant ingestion. Must be head o-rings or warped head.
IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

Last edited:
D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Disassembled:

IMG_2408.jpg

More evidence the oil seal behind the water pump is starting to leak:

IMG_2410.jpg

Top of the cyl eating antifreeze:

IMG_2412.jpg

And the bottom of the same cyl:

IMG_2413.jpg

So unless I have an unseen crack in this cyl, it has to be head o-rings, or a head that is not straight I think. Can't be much else eh? There is small traces of coolant throughout the mag side, but 90% of it is apparent in the dome. As closely as I look though, I just can't see the coolant leak path by the o-rings.

Now I have to get the sheave off the crank. I'm thinking I will make a cut from the outer edge, working my way in as close to the crank stub as I dare... then get a prybar in the cut to crack it open and loose. My 1/4" grinder is at a buddies house, I'll get it tomorrow and tackle this.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
The sheave is off the crank now!:whoo:
I have assembled the bottom end, just waiting on o-rings and wp seals and I can have the motor completed.

-I will have to go out of town to get the o-rings and seals, no biggie.

-The billet x-member from Franz should be ordered sometime this week. He has several almost ready to go!

-The primary clutch is going to be the hangup for now... if I buy this parts sled I have my eye on I can check the clutch on it to see if it will do for the remainder of the season. If that doesn't pan out, I will have to have to have my clutch rebuilt with a spare inner sheave that I have on the wall.

Ahhhhh, feeling a little better about this. If my luck pans out with this parts sled, I should have her running again shortly. Maybe even smash the 159" in before the Revy trip:face-icon-small-hap

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ok so I was researching a new clutch from Polaris...
Why the heck is the electric start version almost $100 cheaper?? Seems odd since it comes with the ring gear on it, which on it's own is $80something to buy. Possibly a mix-up in Polaris' fiche?

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ok so I was researching a new clutch from Polaris...
Why the heck is the electric start version almost $100 cheaper?? Seems odd since it comes with the ring gear on it, which on it's own is $80something to buy. Possibly a mix-up in Polaris' fiche?
It's no mistake, I talked with my dealer... he doesn't know why, but that's the way it is.

Electric start version clutch is ordered
Head o-rings are sitting on the parts counter waiting for me
New throttle body boots on the counter too... starting to crack
My billet x-member from Franz should be shipped today

Looks like I'm in for about $750ca total, should be back running by the middle of next week. This extra expense probably means no BC trips before Revy... well, maybe 1 if I cant find any local snow to keep me happy!:lol:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i would recommend getting the electric start clutch anyways....

Indydan said that the ring gear helps with the rotational balance and is better for the 900 crank...

when he told me that, i sold my stock clutch, and bought a new clutch last summer for my 900 and her 700...

so you win either way...better for the crank, and its cheaper!! LOL,

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Strange, it must act like a harmonic balancer or something with the added mass... you would think just the opposite. I wonder if it's cheaper because there is generally less demand for electric start stuff???:confused:

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Strange, it must act like a harmonic balancer or something with the added mass... you would think just the opposite. I wonder if it's cheaper because there is generally less demand for electric start stuff???:confused:

Who knows lol, someone in Polaris was sniffing glue that day or something. Come to think of it, might have been the same day they designed the front rad and crossshaft lube supply on our 9's

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ok, all finished up with Elmo (my engine) until I get out of town for seals. I finally took apart the x-member. She wasn't just cracked, broke in 2 pieces right under Colin's fine mag side mount. Oh yes, and I can see the spot that my steering was hitting the mount...to be dremel'd
Is this where they are typically breaking? I would have expected it to happen on the PTO side.

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
My Switchback is all back together and running perfect. Seems like the coolant ingestion was the culprit for my rough idle. It's a good thing I went in looking for it, because I found these other major problems that needed to be taken care of. All is well again, I have 3 weeks to get ready for the Revy trip!

Premium Features