• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpine, Wyoming Snow Conditions "Rockin M Ranch"

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We finally are receiving our first snow of the season.
It has been snowing in the mountains since Sunday. Very little has stuck down low. It appears to be sticking above 7000" although any real snow accumulation seems to be over 8000".
As of now the sping creek snotel site (Afton End) is showing 14" and the Blind Bull (Greys River) site is showing 14"
Good start for late October.
I will do my best to keep this updated throughout the season.

Thanks, Rob

Check us out for cabin or snowmobile rentals:

http://rockinmranchwyoming.com
OR CALL: 307-654-2288

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
An inch or two here in the Valley this morning. Looks like this storms are done for a few days. Snowtel sites ended up: Spring Creek (Afton end) 19"/ Triple peak (Greys River) 21"/ Willow Creek 12"/ Phillips Bench (Jackson) 20"/ Blindbull (not reading)

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We have received several storms since the last post. Great start for what looks to be a great snow year. As of this morning the snowtel sites are as follows: Blind Bull (Greys River) 30"/ Spring Creek (Afton) 38"/ Willow Creek (Thayne,Bedford) 32"/ Grand Targhee Ski Resort 55" Supposed to be another good storm tommorow night.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
It's Monday after this last bigger 3-4 day storm. It is still snowing lightly here in Alpine. This storm was not a real big producer for the valleys. Idaho Falls, 60 miles straight west (as the crow flys) picked up over a foot, where as we received between 6-8" down low. It is a bit tough to tell exactly what we got due to the wind and drifting. Most of the mountains seemed to come away from the storm with between 10-15". Here are the most recent Snotel numbers:
Blindbull (Greys River) 37"
Spring Creek (South Greys River) 52"
Willow Creek (Bedford/thayne) 45"
Togwotee 45"
Targhee Ski Resort 65"

Great early snow conditions!!!! I will report back after next predicted storm on Sunday.
Thanks for looking,
Rob (Rockin' M Ranch, Alpine, Wyoming)
307-654-2288

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I measured 4" of snow here at the cabins this morning (Monday), currently about 1 foot here on the valley floor. Snowtel sites seem very inconsistent, maybe effected by the wind.

Willow creek (Thayne/bedford) 34" Sunday/ 47" Monday
Blindbull Down to 29" Monday, Wind?
Spring Creek (Afton) 39" Monday
Targhee ski resort 57" Sunday/ 63" Monday

Many reports that the current high elevation riding has been awesome!
Hope to get out soon myself.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Measured 5" of wet snow here at the cabins this morning. About 14" on the level here in the valley. I rode to the top of Squaw creek on Sunday before this last storm. About 2-3 feet in the open and 3-4 feet in the trees, I'm sure well over that in the higher basins and bowls. Snow has a great base already. Greys River grooming starts tomorrow and grooming again later in the week. Box Y opens December 18th.
Snotel today:
Blindbull: 41"
Willow Creek: 45"
Spring Creek: 46"

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Several smaller warm storms since my last post. Yesterday, Rain and a bit of snow here in the Valley. Woke up to a skiff this morning. The valley has not picked up a substantial amount of snow for awhile but the mountains continue to build snowpack. Yesterdays storm added another 11" to Jackson Hole ski resort and 12" to Targhee. The local snotel sites look like another 6-12" bringing the totals to the upper 40" to low 50" mark. All reports of riding have come back excellent for this time of year. A great solid base.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I was up in Afton Yesterday. This last storm put down a bit more snow at that end of the valley due to the higher elevation. The snotel site at spring creek divide, which is at the top of commissary ridge due east of smoot, is over 50". I'm sure for this time of the year it couldn't be much better. Plenty to get to the higher country.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
Isnt Alpine Market non-ethanol gas? I cant remember dont pay that much attention i drive a diesel truck and have a race gas turb sled so that eliminates me lol. You can run bolth fuel types with your pro anyways

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
As far as I know. Alpine market does not have ethanol.

I rode strawberry/willow creek Yesterday. There is honestly as much snow up there now (mid December) as February last year. Up top is in the neighborhood of 5 feet. We were riding on a great base with about 1 to 1/2 feet of powder. Never hit any rocks. Snow seems to be bonding pretty well this year. No sign of any significant slides. Snowing when we left at 3:00. Snowing here in Alpine today. I took a few less than exciting pictures riding yesterday. I was told it would be helpful if I included a few pictures with my reports. I will do better next time. Picture attached.

S

snowfreakmn

Nov 27, 2007
Hey any picture of riding areas are good pictures... Thanks for the smoot update. We're headed out next week!!!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Looks like the mountains picked up 18+" from this last storm.
Snowtel sites are all over 60 inches now.
Willow Creek 61"
Blind Bull 62"
Spring Creek (Afton) 66"

S

sb30

Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for the updates

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the updates and keep the pictures comming. We are comming out and staying at your place the last week in Jan. Cant wait.

Scott

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Heading your direction on friday. Heard great things about the rockin ranch. Was wondering how the snow conditions are and maybe a forecast. Wld be great to have some fresh snow for our trip. Thanks

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We rode to the west of the cabins (Idaho) Friday. We rode the thick trees all day. Plenty of soft snow in the trees still. All of us were stuck many times. Reports of soft snow up McCain Meadows. Snow is getting a bit hard in exposed places like blindbull. Still plenty of good snow to be found. It has snowed lightly a few times in the last week but nothing real significant. Forecast is for increasing chance of snow after Tuesday. Search and rescue in the Greys River parking lot today. I was told by search and rescue that a 16 year old kid (filming, Squaw Creek area) chucked his meat off a 60 foot cliff and broke his tibia. Bone sticking out of his boot. I would be curious to hear the details from someone who was in the group.

Premium Features