• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 xp 154 water cross and other questions

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
So, the weekend after I watched a buddy submarine his M7 I shot the same stretch on my XP.
It was not the best to say the least, I came into the water slow, maybe 3-4 mph, when I was sure I wouldnt splash water up on the hood i ran it up to full power. My speed came up immediately and it was like glass until I started to feel a surging and the revs fall off. Now I have a 100 more feet and I am slowing down like hell. I got all the way back on the skid to keep the front light but it wasnt helping. I was practically kicking like a skate board by the time my skis got to the other side. Every buddy was looking around thinking... that lucky bastard!!

So, could removing the sway bar have let enough water in to wet the clutches? My wife still crossed after I did on a non ported 06 x and she hit the throttle hard picking up speed to prolly 70 by the other side.

Whats the deal??

Also, we have had wet snow in Central oregon lately and even clickered up to 4 I am still only hitting about 7800 rpm. Should I keep clickering up to get 81-8400?

Thanks,

Cheyne

J
Feb 11, 2009
california
a buddie just watercrossed his xp154 on basslake a few weeks ago and did just fine, lake level was 3500 feet, he was on clicker#3 i would of done but was afraid if i sunk it would never be same and not reliable anymore!!.

O
My experience with the Ported Track

I have run water crossings many times. Actually took first Place on a speed run water crossing a few years back.
My '06 Skidoo Summit, NON Ported Track did very well on water. As did the Polaris 800 151" track (previous to changing to Skidoo in '05).
We have run short runs on our '09 Summit 163" Ported Track and It definitely struggles on the water..........The Ported Track HAS to be the problem. This is my experience on the matter.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Ported tracks and water are a bad mix. Without porting, you can literally run circles and play games. With a proted track, the distance had better be short and hit it fast and don't back off.... The downside of a ported track. Some of the places we ride, we HAVE to skip to get back in there. I won't run a ported track only for that reason. In the snow, they are wonderful.

C
Nov 26, 2007
castlegar
ttt

I feel your pain I just about sunk my 09 xp last. Season proted tracks and water crossing = soggy clothes and an submaire called xp:face-icon-small-ton

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
thanks

Thanks for the reply's. The only reason that I ask is because I came into the water really slow and it picked up speed fast. then after about 50 feet it really started to slow down.

Anyone have anything about the clickers on 4, 19 tooth gear, HPS, heavy snow at 5500 feet, only hitting 7800 rpm?

Premium Features