• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DiscoDans mid-season engine build

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
The rings, and the valve show no evidence of contact, so piston failure seems likely. Thanks for your opinion. I guess the 06 pistons aren't invincible either.

Definetly not ! I droped a skirt on the mag side ( of Course ) of my 06 @ 428 miles.It was WOT and it destroyed everything about 2 weeks after the 1 year warranty was up:face-icon-small-sad

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Definetly not ! I droped a skirt on the mag side ( of Course ) of my 06 @ 428 miles.It was WOT and it destroyed everything about 2 weeks after the 1 year warranty was up:face-icon-small-sad
Very close to my first engine failure...mag skirt dropped into the bottom and I ended up with 10 holes in the lower case half, and lots of damage to the upper case half, broken reeds, busted up cylinder..... about a month outside of warranty.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Just got off the phone with my favorite Poo dealer, not necessarily the closest. They have everything I need in stock, and sitting on the counter for me. I'm also replacing the torque stop which was cracked on the inside where I couldn't see it until the engine was out. My front mounts look good but I'll put them in a vice today and make sure. I should have a motor built tomorrow night. I guess I better get cleaning the parts!
Dan

If anyone from Gaudins Honda browses this forum and sees this... you guys rock, keep it up!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Wow, that is just bizarre.... glad it didn't destroy the bottom end when it went... good luck getting her up and running again:beer;

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yeah I thought it was a rather unique failure. I have to think this piston may have had a flaw, but who knows.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Very close to my first engine failure...mag skirt dropped into the bottom and I ended up with 10 holes in the lower case half, and lots of damage to the upper case half, broken reeds, busted up cylinder..... about a month outside of warranty.

The bigest piece of my skirt that I found went through my reeds with enough force to bend the butterfly in the throttle body. The part that hurt the worst was the only reason i didnt buy the extreded warranty was so I could mod the sled without voiding it . It was on may 5th 2007 my last ride of the year. So close :face-icon-small-con

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
PICT0175.jpg

Were you able to determine where the coolant entered the motor from? Could something have enetered the motor from the throttle bodies. Does the top of the piston show any signs of deto? How's the mag side rod bearing feel?

What's wrong with the ZF manual trans?

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Were you able to determine where the coolant entered the motor from? Could something have enetered the motor from the throttle bodies. Does the top of the piston show any signs of deto? How's the mag side rod bearing feel?

What's wrong with the ZF manual trans?
I didn't mention any coolant in the motor, any you see in the pic is from disassembly.
I don't see any foreign objects in the motor, but anything is possible.
No signs of deto that I can see, and the rod bearings feel good.
ZF manual trans??

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I didn't mention any coolant in the motor, any you see in the pic is from disassembly.
I don't see any foreign objects in the motor, but anything is possible.
No signs of deto that I can see, and the rod bearings feel good.
ZF manual trans??

The computer screen I was using earlier today is terrible. Looked like milkshake (coolant,oil,fuel mixed) from coolant entering the motor and running on that screen.

Looks like a C-6/E4OD Extension housing on this screen (top left corner picture that I quoted), The extra something?? in front of it made it appear to be a ZF manual out of a FORD.

Wow, I neeed a new screen. It's only 3 months old too.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
The computer screen I was using earlier today is terrible. Looked like milkshake (coolant,oil,fuel mixed) from coolant entering the motor and running on that screen.

Looks like a C-6/E4OD Extension housing on this screen (top left corner picture that I quoted), The extra something?? in front of it made it appear to be a ZF manual out of a FORD.

Wow, I neeed a new screen. It's only 3 months old too.
Too much money going into the 900 to buy a new screen?:face-icon-small-hap

Well the front mounts checked out ok, and I have almost everything clean and ready for gaskets, should be able to have the engine built and ready to drop in tomorrow night. I just have a 2 1/2 hour drive to get my parts tomorrow morning.:face-icon-small-dis
I start 4 night shifts on Saturday so the install will probably have to wait until Wednesday when I'm free again. I still have to take the chassis up to the car wash too.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I still have to take the chassis up to the car wash too.

Dan, I thought of doing that also when my engine was out, but I'm glad I didn't waste the time. I cleaned it up the best I could with Spray-9 and a few rags. After six rides, it's as dirty under the engine as it was before I pulled the engine. Damn exhaust valve solenoid !!:face-icon-small-fro

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Dan, I thought of doing that also when my engine was out, but I'm glad I didn't waste the time. I cleaned it up the best I could with Spray-9 and a few rags. After six rides, it's as dirty under the engine as it was before I pulled the engine. Damn exhaust valve solenoid !!:face-icon-small-fro
Ken, I plugged my ves hoses a while back, no more spooge from the solenoid. But I did have a couple recent leaks... a ves gasket, and the brass fitting above the oil pump came loose again:face-icon-small-con. Plus I yanked the engine out in a rush so there's oil and coolant everywhere!

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have my parts on the bench, and I'm starting to put it back together.
I just noticed that one of my oil injectors is a little mangled so I took one off the spare motor, and I don't know whats up with these things but I cant blow air through them. They are all soaking in de-greaser right now. It's just a brass elbow right? there shouldn't be any one way valve in there or anything?

Another thing comes to mind.... the holes leading to the stator cavity: The one on top and the other one on the bottom. Do they need to be there? or can I cover them with racer tape?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Dan.

i wondered the same thing about the brass fittings when i was rebuilding my wifes old zr700 Cat...i couldnt blow through them either...so i bought a new one and same thing...i just assumed it was normal...but it would make sense that if the fitting had a small hole or some way to restrict the oil, that would help create pressure for it to "inject"...just a thought? i am by NO MEANS an exprience engine builder...only have 1 under my belt and i still had issues, lol...

as far as the holes..i covered mine with heat tape...so water wont get in there...but MAINLY cause i have heard some guys had a part of a rivot bounch and go in there taking the stator out..

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Another thing comes to mind.... the holes leading to the stator cavity: The one on top and the other one on the bottom. Do they need to be there? or can I cover them with racer tape?

as far as the holes..i covered mine with heat tape...so water wont get in there...but MAINLY cause i have heard some guys had a part of a rivot bounch and go in there taking the stator out..

I have wondered the same thing.... I lost my c-clip off of my throttle pin when I was putting on my goldfinger and the clip shot under the hood in that general area, I was totally freaking out that it may have fallen in there, but I've since put about 250 miles on without a problem there (thank goodness)

kinda strange that they would put a hole right there where anything can fall in... I have considered covering it also, but didn't know if it needed to breathe or anything?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I just noticed that one of my oil injectors is a little mangled so I took one off the spare motor, and I don't know whats up with these things but I cant blow air through them. They are all soaking in de-greaser right now. It's just a brass elbow right? there shouldn't be any one way valve in there or anything?

the holes are stupid but they are there for cooling. i personally won't plug mine they have enuff problems with stators and electronics to add another possible problem. my 2 cents

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta

Dan, the little brass elbows are listed as a check valve in the parts manuals. I would think they would serve one, if not a couple of purposes. They could prevent oil from gravity-feeding into the engine while it's shut off or possibly prevent crankcase pressure from pushing back into the oil lines.
Anyone else wants to chime in, please do.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
i only covered the top one only...which has the timing marks...rode like that all last year and this year with no issues..

u are probably right sean i wasn't even thinking of that one there are a few on the back and front on the backside of the housing i was referring too

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Dan.

i wondered the same thing about the brass fittings when i was rebuilding my wifes old zr700 Cat...i couldnt blow through them either...so i bought a new one and same thing...i just assumed it was normal...but it would make sense that if the fitting had a small hole or some way to restrict the oil, that would help create pressure for it to "inject"...just a thought? i am by NO MEANS an exprience engine builder...only have 1 under my belt and i still had issues, lol...

Yeah my thoughts exactly Sean, keep the water and foreign objects out of that stator cavity, I'll tape them off.

As for the oil injectors.... it looks like there is internal parts. On the crank case side you can see where it has been crimp sealed. Seems off that I can't overpower whatever kind of valve is in there by blowing in it, but it must be legit.

Premium Features