• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Switchback morph

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Another test ride today, everything is working perfect, I am pleased with how the 9 is performing.:beer;:):beer; Tomorrow we are heading for the deep stuff a little further from town, I'll see if all my hood / intake sealing works properly

Good for you man, I got mine out today for my first real ride and WOW :beer;:D
I have some additional screening to do for sure.

471933070_1651441561_0.jpg

Thats from my stock hood vents and warped side panel

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Glad to hear you got her sealed up and the rest of you issues taken care of... Now just ride it like you stole it!:eek::D:D:D:beer;

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
That's alot of snow ghost! lol, mine looked similar last weekend, I swept a BIG pile of snow and ice out the garage door after I dug it all out.
I think it's worth doing the "94ford foam trick" to the mag side of the hood.... the same hole is on that side too! We'll see if it fills up tomorrow.
On a side note.... I silicone sealed my buds 09 rmk 800 headlight today... even the newer sleds aren't immune to these little quirks. His was ingesting snow by the handful lol:beer;:rolleyes:
You got snow yet 94?

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
That's alot of snow ghost! lol, mine looked similar last weekend, I swept a BIG pile of snow and ice out the garage door after I dug it all out.
I think it's worth doing the "94ford foam trick" to the mag side of the hood.... the same hole is on that side too! We'll see if it fills up tomorrow.
On a side note.... I silicone sealed my buds 09 rmk 800 headlight today... even the newer sleds aren't immune to these little quirks. His was ingesting snow by the handful lol:beer;:rolleyes:
You got snow yet 94?

I did seal the hood to body seam up good with foam and body to chassis with silicone. My hood vents are a big issue along with a severely warped side panel. I'm gonna look at getting a new panel soon.

yeah hows the snow 94?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
You got snow yet 94?

haha, nice:D

Ya, hoping to get up there on Sunday and tear it up if there is any untracked left for us. :D:D

Sorry I haven't been able to get you a pic of exactly how mine turned out, my sled is at my buddies house sitting on my trailer, so I haven;t been able to get a pic to post. At least the way I did mine it turned out really clean and you can't see any of it when the hood is closed, which is what I was going for:D

Here's what the foam looks like 10 miles away with the cover on......:eek:

hahahahaha

100_4005.jpg

I'll try to post some real pics of exactly how I did mine on Sunday night.:D

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yeah mine is concealed when the hood is closed, but it's a little ugly open haha. I'll snap a pic of mine tomorrow, I'm bringing my cam... hoping to get some riding pics / vid but I'm usually having too much fun riding to pull out the cam lol

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Awesome day of local riding, my 9 is proving to be a very capable machine this year. Spent the day riding ditches and pipelines with a group of Xp's.
I took one of them for a short ride and I couldn't keep it leaned over side-hilling or just boondocking around... it just wanted to level back out on me, and from the seat of the pants feeling, I think I have more traction / "get up and go" from a stop in the pow... how this will translate on the big hills I don't know yet, but I am very happy with how mine stacks up against the new sleds so far.
:beer;:) I also out lasted them on fuel by a long shot, 2 of 3 800 XP's ran out on the way back to the truck, I was still showing 1/4 tank:cool:
PICT0109.jpg

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Oh and I think I am finally sick of my MBRP can...seems like it gets louder and louder every time I ride. I think I am ready to suffer through the idea of the extra weight of my SLP can.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Sweet, Glad to hear you had another good run on it......:D:beer;

Hmm, a Polaris 900 piece of junk outperforming a state of the art XP.... :eek::eek:

I don't know what to say:D

;):D:beer;

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Oh, I would hold the applause until we get into a high marking situation, but for the lower elev boondocking I'm right on par.
That said... I am quite pleased so far

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
"Foam Trick"

I finally got some pics of my foam to share.... Here's how mine turned out... can't even see it from outside:D

100_4066.jpg

100_4067.jpg

100_4068.jpg

100_4107.jpg

Last edited:
G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Thats how I did mine too 94 only with a little narrower foam. It works good that way. I am wondering what to do with the tip of the nose at the hinge with the 09 plastics though. 3/4 inch gap with nothing to stick foam to.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
The foam I got was about 1/2 the width, so it's not as pretty, but basically the same thing. It works great so far!
Before 94 threw out the closed cell foam idea, I was thinking about using some flexible rubber sheeting to make a "curtain" attached to the hood that would seal up the hole, possibly something like this could work for you ghost? I'm not super familiar with the 09 front end... only worked on my buddies yard sale hood a little so I can't picture the gap you speak of.
Dan

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Very clean looking sled Disco Dan! Thanks for the great post/read too. Definitely a solid description of what to do with a 900.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks VTMT, it feels like a good start anyways. I started the thread mainly for help on making a Switchback into a mountain sled, which I think I have succeeded at. But obviously there's some 900 specific's in here too. I hope someone else may benefit from my trial and error
cheers:beer;:cool:

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Went out for an xmas day ride today
I installed my slp can before I left because the mbrp is getting overly loud lately.

I don't know if it was purely the can but my rpm's are down 150 - 200 from what she was running the other day at similar elevation, and it just feels less responsive at low to mid rpm. Anyone care to throw forth their opinion on this?
I also experienced some popping / farting in reverse which my sled has never done before.
It seems silly to think the can would do all this to my sled, but its the only change made since last ride... unless something else has come up coincidentally. Oh yeah, and there is WAY more under-hood heat on the can side with the slp.
As much as I have been annoyed by the noise of the mbrp, my 9 just seems to run better with it, unless I can nail down another source for these issues, I will be switching back

Anyone ever have headlight problems? Only my left bulb lights up, but if I switch the bulbs from side to side, it is always the left that works while the right does nothing(high beam and low). Obviously I have a wiring problem, just wondering if anyone has any insight on where to start tracing.... specifically I would like to know where the power splits into left and right from a single source.

Last edited:
D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Another good ride yesterday
Same aprox elevation as all other rides this year, as all I have done is local riding so far. This time we spent a good part of the day doing some tricky technical riding in trees and tight cut-lines, with the last 10 miles ditch banging back to the trucks.
I still see the small rpm loss, ran about 7400 or so all day. I also still think it is less responsive at lower rpm... but that is just a seat of the pants feel, so who knows. Overall it is still running great and I am keeping up with or passing the new sleds I ride with. I will probably swap cans back to the MBRP just to see if I get back my rpm and response.... considering cutting it apart to re-pack it.

I am also starting to notice just a little more off-throttle front end dive this year, I am thinking about stiffening the ski shocks up to match my stiffer rear suspension (225# front spring, and .375 torsions)

This is the cool part.... Near the end of the day we were in a spot where we could do some 0 - 70mph drags. Along side me there was:
09 RMK 800 155 (2010 update, slp single pipe set, Vforce reeds)
09 800 XP 154 (dropped from 21t top gear to a 19t)
08 Dragon 800 155 (2010 update and can)
The only sled up front with me was the lower geared 800 XP, we tagged back and forth for wins depending on the hole shot.... all other sleds were noticeably behind right out of the hole and continued to fall behind as we built speed.:beer;:)
Aside from the little quirks I am sorting out, I am quite pleased with how my 9 is performing.

*EDIT*
I found the source of my front end diving that I felt the other day lol, right lower A arm is broken around the sway bar pocket area, and the sway bar was out of place. I can see where it had been rubbing on the top of the A arm, so I definitely put on a few miles with the arm broken and spread apart a bit, and no sway bar. I'm off to the dealer 2 hours away tomorrow morning to get the arm and a few other goodies. I need to get it bolted together and ready tomorrow evening before I go back to work for my set of 4 dayshifts.... we ride on my first day off saturday

Last edited:
D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Replaced my broken a-arm and installed: Poo a-arm guards, 10-68 weights, 2 sets of Poo hood straps, and I built a tps harness and set the tps and idle, I also bought a bar mounted tether but have nowhere to put it for now with my stock bar setup. My headlight problem is just a bulb, I must have gotten mixed up testing it the other day. :rolleyes:
I finally got me a bottle of the new VES Gold Plus... completely different looking and smelling oil than the Gold from last year:confused:
Back to work tomorrow morning for 4, but Saturday we have a ride planned:beer;:) can't wait!

Premium Features