• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

can you put the throttle body from a 99 zr 600 efi on a 98 zr 600 efi?

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
my buddy has a 98 zr 600 efi. he has a problem with his throttle position sensor not having enough clearance near the steering post. it is causing it to rub. he said that a 99 must have an updated throttle body, because it has the clearance he is looking for. what we are wondering is if there was any difference between the two motors?

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
If his is rubbing I would say he has a motor mount problem. I did not think there was a difference in the throttle bodies. They were all real close to the steering post. Boots okay that mount the throttle bodies?

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
its hard to say. i haven't seen the sled as of yet. just trying to diagnose stuff for him. i think he said that he looked at a 99 and there was a lot more room. what he should do is go find another 98 and look at it.

I searched both years and see that they are different part numbers. I am not sure what the difference would be from one year to the next. I think Ski-Laxn is right there has to be a problem somewhere that the TPS is rubbing on the post.

Hope this helps if there is anything else I can help you with let me know

Jeff

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
what we are wondering, is if the difference between the two throttle bodies is due to an update to fix the problem of the tps being too close to the post. or, it could be a different amt of fuel delivery also. or, like you guys said, it could just be his sled.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
I have a set of throttle bodies that I can take a picture of and send if you would like. I dont have the whole sled. Will go look and see what year it is off.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
i just found this in a google search off american snowmobiler.

I got my 1998 ZR600 efi running finally. Replaced the stator, throttle bodies, and timing sensor. The throttle position sensor was rubbing on the steering and had a bare wire. The new throttle bodies have the sensor plug 90 degrees from where the original one was.

so maybe thats the difference between the two? hopefully thats the only difference. so the big question is, are those two motors, 98 and 99, identical? if so, i see no reason why putting the 99 throttle body on a 98 wouldn't work.

A
Aug 17, 2008
I'm the one with the sled. I bought the sled and shouldn't have (learned a lot though, I know alot more about sleds now and won't make the same mistake).

Anyway, I'm prettysure the sled was in a front end collision and repaired, or patched up might be a better word. The stearing post does not apear to be bent. The TPS is plugged into from the bottom.

The sled has a low/mid end bog. The self diagnostics system says that it is the throttle position sensor. After the sled gets up to 7k+ rpms, the the sled runs great. If i'm over 30 mph, the sleds run perfect almost all the time.

Another thought is that I've put 100 miles on the sled or so and the belt is still in great shape. I would think a motor out of place that much would be burning belts pretty fast? I also looked for cracks in the frame by the motor, but didn't find any. I don't really know what I am looking for though.

Great site, I got limited response from other sites.

Last edited:
C
Oct 12, 2008
Sioux City, Ia
The sled has a low/mid end bog. The self diagnostics system says that it is the throttle position sensor. After the sled gets up to 7k+ rpms, the the sled runs great. If i'm over 30 mph, the sleds run perfect almost all the time.

QUOTE]

Yeah, sounds familiar. For some reason the 98 was really picky about the tps. Mine did the same thing, would run fantastic with the flipper to the bar. Otherwise didnt run so good. Hope you can figure it out.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
I would sell the 98 throttle bodies I have for $50 plus shipping. I agree with the belt issue. The Many 98 I had they were very close to the steering post also but never any problems.

A
Aug 17, 2008
Can anyone clarify this? I thought the 99 throttle bodies had the TPS plug in from the side? I've e-mailed two people with 99 throttle bodies and they both said that they plug in from the bottom.

Is it possible that the TPS adjusts from minimum to maximum 4 times as you rotate it? For instance, the proper seting is where the TPS plugs in from the bottom and then 90 degrees from that and then from the top and then 90 degrees from that?

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Ive seen the one from the side. I think that is what you would get if you purchased a new one. I could possibly look at mine in a little bit and see if you could turn it.

A
Aug 17, 2008
Don't try to turn your TPS unless it has already been turned. They are calibrated from factory and very hard if not impossible to get set back to where they are supposed to me.

That's definatly a possibility that a new one would come with the plug into the side, but those are $1300 :(

T
Jan 27, 2008
lapine oregon
artic cat makes 3 diffrent size rear motor mounts for these sleds. i just had a customer in with the same issue. we went to the taller mounts and cured the problem. gave us about 1/2" clearance from the steering post. good luck let me know if you need any more info.:D

Premium Features