• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How much of a difference does an aftermarket tunnell really make?

O
Nov 26, 2007
Alta, Norway
www.scooternorge.no
How much do they really improve an Apex, Nytro, RX-1, whatever. Nowdays we got better boards that allow snow to fall through, what else does the tunnels improve? Reason I'm asking is that I've done pretty much everything except aftermarket tunnels, haven't even been on a sled with an aftermarket tunnel, so it's hard to justify the price tag on one without really knowing how much of an improvement to expect.

Bull

M
Jan 14, 2004
Depending on the brand there can be some weight savings. Typically an after market tunnel will not hold as much snow as a stocker for 2 reasons, 1 they are usually powder coated which helps dump the snow and usually they are less bulky to begin with. There are also some other benefits when it comes to additional cooling as well as custom suspension setups etc etc etc. They also look great as a general rule. Will you notice any difference when riding, well no probably not.

M5

snowpromod

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Northeast Ohio
I put mine on for looks - started with a 121 sled and wanted a 144 - I went the tunnel route instead of an extension:D

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
on the Apex there is a significant amount of weight saving.

Is it worth the $$$.... NO...
Did i put a timbersled tunnel on my nytro... YES :)

Monster Max

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
On the apex/rx1 you can drop and roll it and fit bigger drivers with a 2.5 track.

This really helps in the snow.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
On the Nytro there is a huge difference, I have tried to modify my stock tunnel, but in the end I just went with a CR tunnel. The geometry of the CR tunnel just works, I have rode my friends sleds with the CR and it was huge difference between my stock tunnel. Wider foot boards, eliminate the front radiator, coolant in the running boards, wider than stock more room for a 16 wide, no more track rubbing, huge cleanouts for snow to fall through on the running boards, built to whatever size track you want to run, works great with an M-10, external mounting/reinforments. Least important of all they just look great too. The Nytro has the worst tunnel, the two strokes seem to have the best tunnels out for stock, I don't think it would be worth the money on an XP. The new Nytro tunnels look like a huge improvement though.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Full ready to ride SC Apex with all light weight except tunnel.....652. on scale last season

CR Racing Tunnel and same sled full ready to ride.......635. on scale last month. Sure does look sweet.

Premium Features