• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Intake Boot Bolt!!!

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Same thing happened on my '07 RMK 600, 3 of the bolts snapped off. The dealer had to pull the engine and drill them out (warranty work). They were not going to do it at first but I argued that there is no reason for red loctite. They told me I should have heated the bolts up first before removing. I said "that would be a great idea but tell me how I'm supposed to do that without melting rubber intakes boots?" It turns out that they saw my post on here and wanted to send out a Polaris rep to see me sled and take pics at the dealership.

If you don't have a welder as stated, pulling the engine isn't so bad. It's pretty easy and its also a good time to clean up the engine compartment. Judging from the red dirt, it looks like you ride up in Michigan.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
Hey jack If you want a hand pulling the motor let me know Also I may have a hook up for a welder if need be

Let me know I have pulled 900's out a few times :)

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Clint, thank you for the offer....I may be needing it....

Tonight I am going to try to propane torch it out of there....so if that doesnt work I may be giving you a call if thats cool.

Thanks for the responses everyone..seems like Im not the only one with this problem.

I will use the new "thanks" feature for everyone lol.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Same thing happened on my '07 RMK 600, 3 of the bolts snapped off. The dealer had to pull the engine and drill them out (warranty work). They were not going to do it at first but I argued that there is no reason for red loctite. They told me I should have heated the bolts up first before removing. I said "that would be a great idea but tell me how I'm supposed to do that without melting rubber intakes boots?" It turns out that they saw my post on here and wanted to send out a Polaris rep to see me sled and take pics at the dealership.

If you don't have a welder as stated, pulling the engine isn't so bad. It's pretty easy and its also a good time to clean up the engine compartment. Judging from the red dirt, it looks like you ride up in Michigan.

Sounds like this could turn into a little project....

I have never ridden THIS sled in Michigan but others...

A good time to clean it is...

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
If you have a Dremel tool or a hacksaw you can try putting a groove in it and use a plain screwdriver to turn it out.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
There is no way on gods green earth that bolt is coming out of there!!! I torched the sh*t out of it as much as could with my little propane torch with no success....what a pain in the as*....

So I guess next is to weld a nut on there or pull the engine....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I'm not sure, I would like to use blue as well when my motor goes back in. I guess they are important bolts, but red is overkill I think. Any thoughts guys?

I would use blue if your going to use any at all..the red is designed to be permanent..where as the blue is designed to be more replacement friendly...I know the 9's vibrate quite a bit but I have always put all my 8's togeather without any locktight...which ever you use, make sure you spray some brakleen in the holes and blow out good to remove all the old locktight or you may have more broke bolts on assembly...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
There is no way on gods green earth that bolt is coming out of there!!! I torched the sh*t out of it as much as could with my little propane torch with no success....what a pain in the as*....

So I guess next is to weld a nut on there or pull the engine....

weld the nut..it will come right out..if it does twist the nut off weld another on..remember..the weld wont stick to the aluminum..also make sure you start removing it as soon as the nut looses the orange glow...once removed and cooled down use a fine tooth file to smooth down any rough spots on the aluminum....

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I would use blue if your going to use any at all..the red is designed to be permanent..where as the blue is designed to be more replacement friendly...I know the 9's vibrate quite a bit but I have always put all my 8's togeather without any locktight...which ever you use, make sure you spray some brakleen in the holes and blow out good to remove all the old locktight or you may have more broke bolts on assembly...

Exactly, I have also had so much crap left over inside the holes (differential holes) that I ran a tap through to clean the threads.

IMO, everyone who wrenches on stuff needs to have tap and die sets. I just have the harbor freight sets for close to ten years now with few issues at all.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Any word on the nasty little bolt?

Its stuck....tried heating it up several different times with no success. So i will be doing the welding trick. Hopefully I can take care of this soon. I talked to Crix on the phone the yesterday, he is going to help me pull it and weld, and we are aiming for Sunday. I will update with pics.......Jack

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
If I can help Just let me Know

Thanks POLZIN, actually I havent been working on the sled too much myself...I have to give the credit to crix, he has done 99% of the work....but I think he knows a place that can get this done..so I think we will be ok. But I do apprieciate it a lot. :beer;

So it will probably be another week before its together again...oh well snows not falling to hard...

Jack

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
when i worked in a machine shop we had some stuff from a company called goodson
was a wax stick that looked like a pencil
you would heat up the stubborn bolt then melt this stuff in and walla the bolt would usually come out

Premium Features