• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpine, Wyoming Snow Conditions from Rockin' M Ranch and Snowmobile Rentals

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
This is Rob From Rockin' M Ranch. We rent fully equipped cabins (with hot tubs) and Polaris Snowmobiles. We are located 4 miles South of Alpine on the Banks of the Salt River. The Greys River trailhead is about 4-5 miles from our location and the Idaho "McCoy" trailhead is about 1/2 mile. Our phone number is 307-654-2288 and website:rockinmranchwyoming.com.

I will do my best to update this post throughout the winter. I will relay info from guests, my own accounts, and Snowtel info. I check the sites frequently.

As along with the rest of the West we have had a warm slow start for snow this fall. We also had a slow start last year and look how that ended up. Many of November storms were to warm to snow in the Valley but it has appeared that the snow level has been about 7500-8000 feet. Most of Snowtel sites have been hovering between 12" to 20" throughout November. The good news is that if you can get to above 8000 feet their is a good base with a lot of moisture in the snow. The bad news is we will need to be extra careful for avys this year. I haven't yet ridden this year but hope to ride Willow Creek out of bedford within the week (15 miles from here). I'll try to give a report. As of a few weeks ago people were riding the "South End" out of Afton. Reports were a couple feet of very hard snow.

Yesterday we received 3 to 5 inches here in Alpine and about 6-10 inches in the mountains.
Current Snowtel sites are as follows 12/09/08 11:00a.m.
Blind Bull 8650 feet (located 26 miles up Greys River Trail) 23.1"
Spring Creek Divide 9000 feet (located South of Afton head of Greys River) 23"

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the update and keep them coming.. I have a cabin in Alpine down the road by the air strip. I will be stopping by your ranch to ask where suggestions of where to ride when I head up there this winter.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Just got back from Afton. About 4-6" of new in the valley. Here in Alpine we got about 2-4" of new.
Snowtel sites are showing:
Blindbull about 6 inches the last 24 hours to bring it to 26.3"
Spring Creek, South End "Afton" about 7 to 8" of new brings it to 28.9"
I'll keep you updated as the storms come.

S

sledordie

Dec 13, 2008
New member to snowest. First time posting.
Some buddies and myself are coming to alpine the 27th. Is there enough snow to make the trip worth while?

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Sledordie,
It's anyones guess how much it will snow between now and then. The weather pattern changed for the better last week. The weather man said the gate is open now. The weather channel is showing us in snow everyday this week with the exception of Wednesday. I'm confident there is already decent riding over 8000 feet. It has been snowing lightly here all day. I'm sure the mountains are getting a good hit right now. The snowtel sites are not adding a lot of depth (about 29") but the snow water equivelant is going up. It is probably settling as fast as it is falling. Snow is measured on a "stick". Hoping to ride Wednesday. Will post after that. The futures looking bright. Do the snow dance!! To answer your question, I would be surprised if you could not find decent riding by the 27th. May have to get a little elevation before you start venturing off the trail.

S

sledordie

Dec 13, 2008
Thanks Rob. Thats good news.
Another question for you. We stay right in Alpine, then usually head up the greys. Can a person ride out of town or do you have to trailer them somewhere higher? Let us know how your ride goes on wednesday.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Should not be a problem to ride out of town even now. I don't think the trail has been groomed yet but it looks good from the parking lot. No ruts!! The Box Y is opening for lunchs on December 20th. About another inch this morning and snowing again this evening. Friends from Afton Polaris dealer rode the South End "Smithfork" on Sunday. Said commissary ridge had 36" on the measuring stick.

S

sledordie

Dec 13, 2008
Excellent. Can't wait for the trip. Keep the updates (and the good news) coming!

P

PowderProject

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Rode friday night up to squaw, then turned up n. murphy. Trail does not have enough snow up squaw. we hit rocks all the way up to the n. murphy turn off. Main greys trail has plenty to ride, just be aware of off trail rocks. We rode up to north murphy. Need another foot or so and it will be much better. Do not attempt n. murphy. too early logs and lots of rocks!

Last edited:

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We rode Willow Creek today (15 miles south of the Rockin' M). Last year there was not enough at this time for the North Fork. Today it was not a problem getting up the North Fork. Creek crossings were easy. We were all pleasantly surprised by the snow. I dug down to the ground with my hand. Right at the groung there is a very hard layer of about 6" to 12" with about three feet of newer snow on top. It's a nice base down deep, you rarely spin down to the dirt and are able to climb pretty well. We were also pretty cautious about slides because of this deep layer, although we did not trigger or see any fresh slides. This was the conditions about 2/3 to 1/2 way up. We headed up-top but changed our minds based on the visibility. It also looked pretty windloaded. From what I saw I would suspect 5' plus up top. Another storm or two and we should be in good shape for the rest of the winter.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
2 to 4 inches today in the valley. Blindbull snowtel looks like 4 to 6 inches. Now reads 32" at blindbull. I hear squaw is still a little rough. Willow creek, south end and blind bull should all be decent.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Great storm!!!

Since I shoveled 4 or 5 inches last night we received another 10 by this morning. Checked it with a tape measure. All is looking good. 12-15 inches in the last 24 hours and snowing hard right now. This storm is expected to continue until tonight with light snow to follow after that. Will update with totals when the storm is done. The Greys River trail was groomed friday and I watched the groomer head back in Saturday morning.:)

Last edited:
P

pullhardr

Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, WY
Jeez, I finally had to break down and buy a new snow blower. I live in the trees and the snow was up to my trucks door's this morning! Bring it on. Buy the way the new husqvarna 9 series snow blowers are bad***!!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Snow finally let up a bit. Another three inches here today. Looks like the town of Alpine picked up another 6' today. Anyway this storm delivered 16" -22" inches here in the Alpine area the last 36 hours. I'll check back in after the next storm.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Another good storm!!!

Another 10 to 12 inches from this Christmas Storm, though a little more water content than the last storm.
Snotel as of this morning:
Blindbull 45.2
Spring Creek Divide "South End" 52.6

Premium Features