• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRC 500 running

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So for those who still are on here, the BRC 500 conversion for the older gen KTM 250/300 is up and running. Looks like the ultimate snowbike motor to me! Estart, counterbalanced, direct bolt-in, and hopefully big torque/HP numbers.

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
That looks really good! Any guess on the final cost for conversion. Thank for the update:face-icon-small-coo

M
Jan 14, 2004
That does look pretty nice. At todays exchange rate its USD $5700. If this trade war escalates which in all likelihood it will expect the price to drop for US customers as the Canadian dollar tanks.

M5

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So, I drank the kool-aid. Mine will be shipped before Nov. Who else is gonna have one of these running in the PNW for snowbike season? I feel this is gonna be the $hizzle

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
So, I drank the kool-aid. Mine will be shipped before Nov. Who else is gonna have one of these running in the PNW for snowbike season? I feel this is gonna be the $hizzle

call me we when snow flies I need to ride that thing!:pizza::eyebrows::face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap
425-320-8973

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
It could happen. Probably would have if Polaris didnt buy out TS.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

A guy here in Alaska has his brc 500.
(I sold him an aro 120 kit)

I’m hoping to get a chance to try it this winter.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I think BRC needs to release the 600 v-twin snowbike motor. 120 horsepower, that would be awesome!

This one.

c0509a69e2eba21cf00dde1aff6f80ea.png

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Curious how piston life will be on the one cylinder facing the wrong way. Or if they have thought of that, what the exhaust port looks like on that cylinder to keep the piston alive.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
fuel injection being worked

In watching the video they posted explaining the engine and test riding it (found it on Adam Miller's facebook) the owner said a company in AU that already has had success fuel injecting yz125s pre-ordered an engine and is looking to develop EFI for the BRC500 for the snowbike community. I'll do the cr5 this year, but man this is really really getting me excited.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Better not invite Neibauer without letting me tag along! We can drag it against my MRE CR500 build i'm doing right now :)

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Efi is where you lose me.

Tuning carbs ain’t tough. They’re light, simple, easy, cheap.

I’ve built a stand alone Efi system for a sled and it was no joke. Fuel pumps, power, filter, regulator, injectors, injector mount, fuel rail. That’s just what you need to start for a simple batch fire. Then you need to tune it. Laptops, wide ratio AF gauges by the handfull, no thanks. 100 times tougher than tuning a carb

If I couldn’t tune a carb I wouldn’t be trying to run a two stroke on snow

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Efi is where you lose me.

Tuning carbs ain’t tough. They’re light, simple, easy, cheap.

I’ve built a stand alone Efi system for a sled and it was no joke. Fuel pumps, power, filter, regulator, injectors, injector mount, fuel rail. That’s just what you need to start for a simple batch fire. Then you need to tune it. Laptops, wide ratio AF gauges by the handfull, no thanks. 100 times tougher than tuning a carb

If I couldn’t tune a carb I wouldn’t be trying to run a two stroke on snow

Two stroke Sleds seem to do ok on snow with efi.

Think, instant starts, no chance of icing, altitude compensation (blend the fuel curve and timing curves) 3d mapping.
Detonation protection (for when a buddy rides it)

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Two stroke Sleds seem to do ok on snow with efi.

Think, instant starts, no chance of icing, altitude compensation (blend the fuel curve and timing curves) 3d mapping.
Detonation protection (for when a buddy rides it)

well played... both of you. If they do an exceptional job and BRC adopts it, I'd think it would be fantastic. In the mean time, my lectron and EGT with lots of plug reading and tinkering will be just fine.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Once you get your Lectron tuned and setup you won't be thinking about EFI so much. It'd be cool but its un-necessary I gotta side with Portgrinder on this one. My CR5 with a basic PWK runs consistently the same I haven't messed with that carb in a couple of seasons. From carbed 4 stroke to EFI 4 stroke its a no brainer. EFI all the way.

M5

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I certainly am excited to feel the same way about my CR5. My first snowbike was a 525 RFS KTM and I didn't have a carb heater... it was perfect everywhere all season, so I'm hopeful to have the same experience once I learn the lectron way of tuning. They sent it to me with a 7-2 needle in it. I'll have to chat with MRE a bit once I get the engine back, but it's hard to shift my thinking to this carb sitting here pre-build.

M
Jan 14, 2004
You'll be fine, Adams case ported CR5's rip. If I was going to spend a bunch of money on a 500 I'd be more inclined to throw cash at billet case halves before EFI.

M5

Premium Features