• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking at purchasing a lightly used 2015 M8000 LTD

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Alright guys I think I have done my homework on this sled but just wanted to get some extra input. I am looking at picking up a 2015 M8000 LTD 153 with only 234 miles on the sled. The guy bought it as a leftover in 16 and took it on one ride that winter and one ride this past winter both trips up to the UP. The sled is all stock minus a speedwerx L2 can, froggskinz, rox hand guards, and an extra new belt. I think I could get the sled for $5,700 as his riding partner (his brother) just sold his 16 M8000 to my sisters boyfriends buddy for $6,400.

A little bit about myself, I am a 6'5 guy and weigh in about 330 dressed with all the gear. I am a former Left Tackle and still work out regularly so for the most part any extra weight doesnt bother me. The sled will primarily be ridden in the UP 2-4 weekends mid sled season and a handful of times after the trails legally close. In addition we plan on doing 1-2 trips out west this coming winter. Primary reason for buying the mtn sled is so I do not have to rent when we go out west as I feel that it is cost effective to buy rather then rent if I can get 3 years out of the sled. I have boondocked plenty in the UP on 137 sleds, but looking for something that is going to give me a little better floatation. I am by no means new to sleds as I average about 2,500 miles a year on the trails.

I feel that this is a pretty good deal and from all the pictures he sent me the sled pretty much looks brand new. What I am looking for is input on if it is worth while to pick this sled up and do my own additions for less than buying a 16 or newer or do I just go ahead and fork out some extra coin for a 16?

In addition from doing my research it sounds like I am going to add more frogskinz to the sled if I pick it up, along with the potential for adding the skid mod and the 16 front end if I determine it is something I really like.

Does anyone have any other mods they can think of? or any solid low elevation clutching tips?

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
It is my opinion that the newer front end is mandatory. A new pair of skis is also a must. The price seems decent but nothing special, if you check on Facebook under the Ascender/Proclimb group you can find some good deals on sleds with all of the mods done already or 16 and newer for slightly more.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I would, especially on Sunday. When you think about it if you plan on doing any mods it's not worth pumping money into the older sled when it's going to cost you more than buying a 16+.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Alright guys I think I have done my homework on this sled but just wanted to get some extra input. I am looking at picking up a 2015 M8000 LTD 153 with only 234 miles on the sled. The guy bought it as a leftover in 16 and took it on one ride that winter and one ride this past winter both trips up to the UP. The sled is all stock minus a speedwerx L2 can, froggskinz, rox hand guards, and an extra new belt. I think I could get the sled for $5,700 as his riding partner (his brother) just sold his 16 M8000 to my sisters boyfriends buddy for $6,400.

A little bit about myself, I am a 6'5 guy and weigh in about 330 dressed with all the gear. I am a former Left Tackle and still work out regularly so for the most part any extra weight doesnt bother me. The sled will primarily be ridden in the UP 2-4 weekends mid sled season and a handful of times after the trails legally close. In addition we plan on doing 1-2 trips out west this coming winter. Primary reason for buying the mtn sled is so I do not have to rent when we go out west as I feel that it is cost effective to buy rather then rent if I can get 3 years out of the sled. I have boondocked plenty in the UP on 137 sleds, but looking for something that is going to give me a little better floatation. I am by no means new to sleds as I average about 2,500 miles a year on the trails.

I feel that this is a pretty good deal and from all the pictures he sent me the sled pretty much looks brand new. What I am looking for is input on if it is worth while to pick this sled up and do my own additions for less than buying a 16 or newer or do I just go ahead and fork out some extra coin for a 16?

In addition from doing my research it sounds like I am going to add more frogskinz to the sled if I pick it up, along with the potential for adding the skid mod and the 16 front end if I determine it is something I really like.

Does anyone have any other mods they can think of? or any solid low elevation clutching tips?

A couple more things to consider if you get a 16 there is better clutching,and the front end is updated, better shocks and a 3 inch track (on the ltd). The 16 was considerably improved over previous years. With just your size alone you may consider air shocks for some adjustability, the 3 in track is not really made for trails. The clutching will require different weights and helix for best performance in low elevation. Personally I would buy the newest I could afford when it come to A/C mountain sleds but I ride in the west, the only trails are to and from the riding area. That being said my riding buddy's boy has a 15 SP he bought new and has been riding the bag off that sled for three years and has done nothing to it except regular maintenance.3000 plus miles

Last edited:

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
In my opinion I would not get a 3inch track for as much trails as you ride. And honestly there is no way you would need a 3inch for boondocking in MI. Many many guys ride 2.6 or polaris had 2.4 on their pro chassis riding in the mountains. You will be fine with a 2.6 for mountains too. Also a 36 front end is not mandatory, nor is it prefered for trails. For as much trails as it sounds you ride you will want a wider front end. I am not 100% certain on all the widths, tracks, etc between the 15 and 16 but if you can get a sled with 2xx miles for $5500 thats not too bad. If you are going to rack up 5k miles in 2 years don't drop bucco bucks on something new. That is like buying a 2018 pick up at $60k and putting 50k commuter miles on a year imo. Just my opinion, right or wrong. but if you find a good priced low mile 16 with a 2.6 and wider front end I would go for it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The big advantages for most going from a 2015 to 2016 would be:
-Team clutches for reliability
-Improved rear skid geometry
-3" track on Limited, but 7T drivers are a disadvantage
-New geometry front end with 36" stance
-Evol shocks on Limited

That being said in your situation the 3" might not be the best as other have said. The 2.6 is still a very capable track, tough as nails, and doesn't seem to mind trail duty. As a fellow larger rider I like the new front end geometry, but I prefer the 38" over the 36" stance. 36" is more unstable down the trail and in certain off-trail situations than I care for. Adding an updated geometry front end kit from Cat for the 38" front end is about $400. There's nothing really wrong with the 2015 secondary or jackshaft so adding a team primary in the future (when needed) is an option. I'd do skis on either year sled. If those upgrades are done you're basically down to the rear skid and shocks.

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
In my opinion I would not get a 3inch track for as much trails as you ride. And honestly there is no way you would need a 3inch for boondocking in MI. Many many guys ride 2.6 or polaris had 2.4 on their pro chassis riding in the mountains. You will be fine with a 2.6 for mountains too. Also a 36 front end is not mandatory, nor is it prefered for trails. For as much trails as it sounds you ride you will want a wider front end. I am not 100% certain on all the widths, tracks, etc between the 15 and 16 but if you can get a sled with 2xx miles for $5500 thats not too bad. If you are going to rack up 5k miles in 2 years don't drop bucco bucks on something new. That is like buying a 2018 pick up at $60k and putting 50k commuter miles on a year imo. Just my opinion, right or wrong. but if you find a good priced low mile 16 with a 2.6 and wider front end I would go for it.

I also own a 17 XCR 800 that is my primary trail sled, only time the mtn sled will see trails is too and from riding areas.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I had a '15 LTD as a demo for a weekend while my '17 MC was in the shop. I also spent a few hundred mtn miles on my buddies '16 LTD before deciding on the Mtn Cat for myself.

Personally, I hated the way the '15 LTD rode. The listed improvements on the '16 make it a far superior sled with the '17s and '18s being additional steps up in overall performance. I would never consider a '15 after that weekend last spring. They ride like crap IMO. I do not think you can do the upgrades that will fix it for the same outlay as just buying a nice '16 or '17. If off trail use is the main use of the sled, nothing beats the Cat 3" track, it makes the machines wicked capable all by itself. Better shocks, better clutch, better track and much better front end geometry are what you want. I would pass on the '15, even for cheap.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The 3in claw is not worse than the 2.6 claw on the trail, it may be better for cooling...
Team clutches are much much better than cats clutches

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Options

X2 on stated above; Another consideration is that most newer true mountain sleds only have single tunnel coolers (to save weight) which can be a disadvantage on almost any trail situation causing over-heating. You may want want to look at AC High Country or the manufactures hill-climb models AC HCR, Polaris AXYS Assult or Ski-Doo Freeride, All of which also steer better. My $.02 :juggle:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
For deep snow riding in the mountains, at 330lbs, may i suggest a 162...
Incredible difference to a 153!

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
I am not opposed to a 162 but with my main riding being in the UP a 153 seems the ideal length for there where the 162 will be a little overkill.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I am not opposed to a 162 but with my main riding being in the UP a 153 seems the ideal length for there where the 162 will be a little overkill.

You did say you had a dedicated trail sled and this one would be for mainly off trail. Powder is powder, no matter where it is. For a guy your size I don't think a 162 is a bit of overkill. I go about 215 and ride a 153. I think I am probably borderline for off trail riding. I have gone back and forth between mine and my buddies 162 and don't feel the 162 is much penalty if any on the trail ride in. I do prefer the additional maneuverability of my shorty but the longer track allows my older riding partner to go slower in the trees without getting stuck as much.

I would get the 162, after all, who is going to really argue with a guy your size?LOL

Premium Features