• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Over heat

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
My grandson blew his 2016 m8 , cracked piston dealer says it needs a complete drop in..It is still under warranty but they are saying by the report it had to many high heats. I know nothing about the cat system ,what temp does the light come on . Does the motor go to limp mode and at what temp,and will the motor shut down if over heat .

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
My grandson blew his 2016 m8 , cracked piston dealer says it needs a complete drop in..It is still under warranty but they are saying by the report it had to many high heats. I know nothing about the cat system ,what temp does the light come on . Does the motor go to limp mode and at what temp,and will the motor shut down if over heat .

Can't remember the exact numbers but that really doesn't matter. The temp light will flash as a warning then stay on if it gets warmer. The engine will start to stutter when the temp light starts to flash. The engine will not shut down unless it seizes. The old 800 Suzuki engine is as tough as they come so this is uncommon. What type of riding does he do trails, lakes, deep snow? Does the sled have a 2.6 or 3 in track?

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
Can't remember the exact numbers but that really doesn't matter. The temp light will flash as a warning then stay on if it gets warmer. The engine will start to stutter when the temp light starts to flash. The engine will not shut down unless it seizes. The old 800 Suzuki engine is as tough as they come so this is uncommon. What type of riding does he do trails, lakes, deep snow? Does the sled have a 2.6 or 3 in track?

He does not ride trails . Only rivers, creeks ,and anywhere there is deep snow. Sled has the 2.6 track .
fix....

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
He does not ride trails ,rivers, creeks ,and anywhere there is deep snow. Sled has the 2.6 track .

He doesn’t ride deep snow?

I believe temp light flashes at 168f and stays on at 190f. I think there is a sticker on clutch guard that says what it is.

Does he see the light flash a lot? Or stay on a lot? 168f is running hot but nothing the motor can’t handle. 180f plus on a regular basis would be a problem.

On these mountain sleds with small cooling system it’s something you have to be aware of. Scratchers down, get in deep snow etc. is trail ridding a m8000 possible? Yes but those things need to be in check.
I have read about some bad radiator caps that will let coolant leak out overflow and not hold pressure properly so maybe that was a issue for him?

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
We found the head gasket was leaking . He took it to the dealer ,they replaced the o rings for the head .Two days later it died ,broken skirt. They denied warranty because to many over heats ,but they paid for the o rings !!!

Premium Features