• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Full throttle felt like belt broke? But it didn't!

M
Nov 12, 2012
Hey
On my 07, m8 was riding and on a long bumpy mild uphill (kinda hard pack) was was wide open and about 3 secs later felt like belt snapped, like free spinning. No weird noises really. So oh crap shut it down and stopped instantly. Pulled side cover and belt is in tact. Nothing odd looking anywhere. No oil seeping from diamond drive cover. So started it. Slowly gave it gas and belt grabbed and sled moved? Put together And it rode seemingly normal. But I was far from car so didn't crack the throttle the whole way back. Just kept it to half throttle and under. It accelerated normally the whole way back. No noises out of place.
My belt is a season and. Half old, some wear no noticeable cracks anything. Clutch and primary all tight and look fine.
So obviously I am happy to put new belt on but just wanted to Ask here if any thoughts to check or that it could be something else and doesn't sound like belt issue to you? If it was something in drive gears wouldn't I have heard crunching or some noise telling me? Anything on clutch or springs rollers I should look at?
thAnks for any suggestions

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Check your rollers in your secondary clutch. If they are damaged they can hold the clutch open and then you will have a belt slip sensation like you experienced.

Premium Features