• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 M6- No Power to Fuel Pump, ECU?

C
Feb 14, 2018
Bozeman, MT
Hey all- long time lurker, first time poster here.

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my wife's 2007 M6 isn't getting fuel. I recently bought this sled as-is (not running) from a friend who didn't feel like messing with it.

After a few days of screwing around, here's what I've discovered:

I have power from the stator (new, installed by me) to the ECU (orange wires). I found this to be true at the connection closest to the stator, as well as at the ECU connection.

I do not have power from the ECU to the fuel pump (black/red wires). I tested the wires very close to the ECU connection, and also at the pump itself. Nada.

When I apply power directly to the fuel pump, the pump and the sled both run. I ran this test form both connections- the one closest to the fuel pump, and at ECU connector.

The main wiring harness and its connectors look great. I pulled the seat and the taillight to inspect the common wear areas- all looks good. I can't find a short anywhere.

Is there anything else I need to check before taking an expensive gamble on a replacement ECU?

The only other electrical issue I can find on this snowmobile is that both low beam bulbs are blown. Could the blown bulbs related to the fuel pump not getting power?

I wish I knew somebody with an M6 so I could verify whether or not my ECU is bad, but I don't. The suspect ECU has no visual signs of damage or shorting.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
You could run two new wires from the ecm to the fuel pump directly, this would verify the ecm. The harness can be taken apart and just install new wires that way there is no cutting and splicing. Did you check the fuse? If the ecm is not putting out a signal make sure it is getting the proper input. I think you have a wiring problem, broken wire / bad ground something like that. The M had issues on the left side of the fuel tank also. Don't discount other electrical issues they may seem unrelated but could be connected.
edit
Forgot to mention inspect all connectors for corrosion and reassemble with dielectric grease. I very small amount of resistance is all it takes.

Last edited:
C
Feb 14, 2018
Bozeman, MT
O+S- Thanks for the idea. I'll give that a shot.

If I've already jumped it successfully from the connector, wouldn't that mean the wires are good though? Or is 12V so much power that it doesn't mimic a normal running scenario?

RE: Left side of fuel tank- do you mean the wires in the left foot well, or the wires under the tank?

Thanks again,
Alex

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
The previous bad stator may have messed with the ECU. Everything you said points to the ECU not supplying the power. I'm not sure if you could bypass the ECU or not and power the pump differently...but that might be a less expensive option.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
O+S- Thanks for the idea. I'll give that a shot.

If I've already jumped it successfully from the connector, wouldn't that mean the wires are good though? Or is 12V so much power that it doesn't mimic a normal running scenario?

RE: Left side of fuel tank- do you mean the wires in the left foot well, or the wires under the tank?

Thanks again,
Alex
If you jump the pump from the ecm connector then yes that would mean the wires are good. If you have a volt meter you can add the 12 v to the pump again and put the meter to dc voltage then place the meter leads at each end of the wire you are jumping. You should get 0 volts, check both wires with the pump running. If the meter shows voltage you have issues with the wires .5 of a volt is to much. You are checking the potential difference of the wire.
On the left side of the fuel tank remove the consul and you will see the harness check it over closely. Another place to check the harness is right along the right side by the engine i have seen some fail there from rubbing.

Last edited:
Premium Features