• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Way too Hot

C
Nov 22, 2017
Colorado
Hi guys, After breaking my scratchers, I got talked into buying the cable type. Never Again... They slap around and make a ton of noise, at no angle could I get enough down pressure to actually throw up snow and I broke both carbide tips in a month. Anyways, my buddy was riding my sled and wasn't checking the temp while running on the trail/road in Grand Lake with very little snow. I look over and no joking 224 degrees. I immediately yell at him to shut it down, pack snow, etc. I assume it went into DET but I am not sure. We ran it back to the truck another 5 miles after it cooled and no issues at all. My question is should I be concerned about it reaching this temp one time? Since then I have the classic scratchers back on.

FYI...12' RMK Pro 800 and a 14' M8000. The RMK is way more fun to ride but I always get stuck on my cat because my friends always feel more confident on the RMK.

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
I have had that happen once to my sled cuz my wife was riding it and my buddy did once to his sled because he didn’t know. Let it cool each time. Rode later and both sleds are fine two years later. No worries.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hi guys, After breaking my scratchers, I got talked into buying the cable type. Never Again... They slap around and make a ton of noise, at no angle could I get enough down pressure to actually throw up snow and I broke both carbide tips in a month. Anyways, my buddy was riding my sled and wasn't checking the temp while running on the trail/road in Grand Lake with very little snow. I look over and no joking 224 degrees. I immediately yell at him to shut it down, pack snow, etc. I assume it went into DET but I am not sure. We ran it back to the truck another 5 miles after it cooled and no issues at all. My question is should I be concerned about it reaching this temp one time? Since then I have the classic scratchers back on.

FYI...12' RMK Pro 800 and a 14' M8000. The RMK is way more fun to ride but I always get stuck on my cat because my friends always feel more confident on the RMK.

You almost got it hot enough so it goes into limp mode.
(The engine protecting itself)

I wouldn’t worry about it.

Fwiw buy the summitseeker scratchers they work sweet.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The sled will protect it self, your fine.

If that ever happen again, its much better to keep the sled running and pack snow on the coolers. Then hold the idle about 2,000 rpm so the engine has good coolant flow.

This will cool everything down evenly, and its also faster then just shutting it off and letting the air cool it.

If you just shut off a hot engine the engine temp is actually going to go up 10-20* before it starts to go down from the heat soaked engine and no coolant flow.

Premium Features