• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

im a dissapointment.../dissapointed

i am more and more deciding to sell my new sled,
26 miles on it, still full tank of gas. I really dont think this sport is for me.
2016 RMK 600 155 ES. bought it brand new just few weeks ago, got it out first time on the powder.

it wasnt at all what i like/ expect. It wasnt as enjoyable as when im on my atv.
i have a hard time muscling it around. i have my full weight on once side and it barely feels me.
i am 5'6, 140 lbs. granted there are smaller lighter women out there who ride longer sleds.

there are just too many negatives than positives.

-reliant on someone to ride with, i originally thought i can do this by myself, but after this weekend, it could easily be deadly going on my own.
-hard to wrestle, my size, its hard to make it go where i want,
-i hate that i cant have a relaxed float arm, im always stiff on it just to point it where to go.
-i am so used to power steering and flying in my atv.

Im selling it for 8500, i paid alot having it shipped here from wisconsin, ur not paying fees, taxes etc

B
May 26, 2015
26 miles on it, still full tank of gas. I really dont think this sport is for me.
2016 RMK 600 155 ES. bought it brand new just few weeks ago, got it out first time on the powder.

it wasnt at all what i like/ expect. It wasnt as enjoyable as when im on my atv.
i have a hard time muscling it around. i have my full weight on once side and it barely feels me.
i am 5'6, 140 lbs. granted there are smaller lighter women out there who ride longer sleds.

-reliant on someone to ride with, i originally thought i can do this by myself, but after this weekend, it could easily be deadly going on my own.
-i hate that i cant have a relaxed float arm, im always stiff on it just to point it where to go.

Im selling it for 8500, i paid alot having it shipped here from wisconsin, ur not paying fees, taxes etc

Personally I would say don't give up, it's a learning curve, I'm sure there would be a friend to be made.

That start and the regular pro is was heavier than a pro, but a lot lighter than the older sleds. You won't really steer with the bars it's more of where your weight is and how your positioned on the sled that will steer the sled.

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
Well it takes a lot more than one ride to get used to a sled. Especially if you want to be any good at it and have fun. It is a lot about using your weight and counter steering. A pro is very easily to steer in powder. It takes no effort once you get used to. But once again it take time. Of course an ATV is easy. It's made for all people.to ride and of all ages. I can promise you if you learn to ride the sled it will be a lot more fun than an ATV. I have ATVs. Dirt bikes. And sleds. Snowmobiling is by far my most favorite hobby.

I would say keep giving it a shot and find some fresh deep snow to ride in.

Ride with some people that can give you tips.

Also. Never ride alone. Especially as a beginner. That is just dangerous and foolish. I am a good rider and would never go alone. You are just asking for problems.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This is a great thread topic.

I hate to see you getting down on yourself like that though.

I know where you are coming from... having taken out many new riders... Your concerns are not un-warranted.

I'm your size... and I also ride with smaller riders than me that love the sport.

Once you get used to it... you'll love it IMO.

BUT...

As others have said above...There is a learning curve.

Once it "clicks' for you... you will not be fighting the sled and have a blast riding... It will happen quickly if you have some good experiences.

My suggestion is to take a beginners clinic with Matt Entz, Dan Adams etc and get your groove on.
It is money well spent... and I suggest it to any new rider.

And YES, Riding by yourself in the backcountry... on a sled or ATV... can be deadly if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
It takes some experience to get comfortable. The part that keeps most new riders excited is the group. When my son started riding with us he really didn't like the riding because he struggled, but he liked going because he enjoyed the guys. Regardless of how often he got stuck, they never complained. Now he loves it. All of us at one time were rookies. For me personally I am getting to the age where I am again the guy needing a little help.
If you are experienced pay it forward for those that helped you.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Don't feel bad, I've been disappointment/a disappointment for 4 years now.

I personally like to ride ATVs/UTVs better but the sled gives me an occasional excuse to get out in the winter months. This winter, I've actually spent more time rebuilding a sled engine than actual riding and I think the rebuild was more fun than the rides I've been on so far ;-)

Find someone you can tag along with, save money and vacation and sign up for a riding clinic, and keep your head up. This stuff is harder than ATV riding by far!

I'll be back on my ATVs soon and got to figure out a way (either a bigger engine or turbo) to get my ride up Whale mountain.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Takes time, it's not like a quad where you hop on it and your in dirt with solidly planted tires, gas and brake and just steer where you want to. sledding has so much more to it, It can be a much tougher sport, but that's what's rewarding, I'm in the mountains, the views, I'm climbing up through some tree's next thing I'm on a ridge looking down on a lake or some other mountains, It took some effort and sweat to get there but It's worth it, You get stuck A LOT but so do people whos ridden for ever. I wouldn't give up on the sport at 28 miles.... Put more time in and practice and get a feel for it.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership

Jason,

Sounds like my first experience on a sled. I'd never ridden one--ever-- bought a Yamaha Apex (look up boat anchor)-- drove from California to Montana and back- took it out the first time----and got stuck. Then stuck.... Then stuck again....and again and again.

My initial impressions were the same as yours....why the F()ck does anybody do this?????

It's not easy. But you have a proper sled to learn on.

That is part of the allure of riding sleds for me-- it's not easy. Very few people just jump on one and go. It's the same for the surfing.

With a little practice, you will get better. Anything will be better than the stuckfest (suckfest) you probably started with.

Riding with people who can help you learn is good. Riding with other people who are also new helps.

At 5' 6", you aren't huge. But as you and I discussed on the phone, you are still a lot bigger than Val.

There are tons of people to hook up with and ride both on SnoWest and Westcoastsledders. Just be honest with people and tell them you are brand new. Go out when they are taking other beginners or kids.

Trail ride to begin with if you want. Jump on a trail, put your scratchers down, and just go cruise out to Jackson Reservoir or Meadow Lake. Or jump on the trail system off 267 where they rent sleds and go to Mt Watson or the backside of Northstar or look at Lake Tahoe. Trail riding is as easy as quad riding--sit on your a$$ and steer, gas to go, brake to stop. Off trail and pow riding is a little more dynamic-- standing, countersteering, wrong foot forward, more aggressive throttle inputs to turn the sled.

C'mon man... one and done?.... really???:face-icon-small-dis

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
We were passing thru the Blind Bull area last week, near Alpine, Wyoming, and there was a guy there from California riding by himself. He asked if he could tag along with us. At first, I thought he was nuts for riding alone, but then I thought he was smart for staying on the main trail until he found a group of guys to tag along with in the deep backcountry. Although, he may have regretted hanging with us, since we maybe get a little too adventerous sometimes, but we were there to help him out of some stucks.

Stay with it and you'll grow to love it. Couple of things I tell newbies, to help getting unstuck:

- If you're stuck in a flat area, get off of the sled, stand next to it, pin the throttle and shake the crap out of it. It'll surprise you how often it will dig itself out of a hole. This works extremely well with a Pro or Axys or XM or Gen 4 chassis. Older sleds...not so much.

- If you're stuck on a hill, roll it. But before you start yanking on the handlebars, start it up and spin the track fast as you pull the sled over by the bars. It'll dig out its own track and flip on the side with virtually no effort. Then it's easy to roll it over from there.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
With every ride, you can learn something to help you next time. Counter-steering is tricky. Many in our group struggled learning this. Like MH said, once it "clicks", it made riding much easier. You will even learn something when you get stuck. I remember the first time a guy told me to roll the sled over to get it unstuck. I thought he was nuts. Another thing for the basics that I would suggest is getting the DVD "Schooled". It has a great teacher in Brett Rasmussen. The video is good at showing basic sledding techniques, and bad habits to avoid. It helped our group. Don't give up, and you will be hooked for life.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Don't give up on it, the more you ride the easier it gets, in all respects. You will learn to save energy riding, and save energy while getting unstuck. After 4-5 solid days of riding with experienced riders you will be happy you stuck with it! Watch some youtube videos and pay attention to how guys are standing on their sled and such in certain situations to give you an idea of how to handle said situations.

L
Dec 12, 2012
Spokane, WA
I went out for the first time in 2 years after only riding for 2 years before that. Almost the entire first year i spent so much energy falling off and getting unstuck but I had people with me willing to help. The second year i didnt get stuck once but I didn't have a lot of opportunity to ride either, just a handful of times. But I learned the sled more and knew how handle it better. This year i just bought a 12 pro. Went out yesterday and it was awesome with all the fresh snow. Got stuck a handful of times and did get frustrated but I had a buddy who was willing to help me. I felt bad for needing so much help. Like other said it is a huge learning curve. I feel like I'm learning to ride all over again. I'm super sore today from falling off and getting unstuck. Have some repairs to do...... I broke my brake lever and bend an a-arm a littke. (If anyone has either of these things for sale let me know). It will get easier. Biggest thing I had a problem with when I started is I was overly timid with the throttle. You do have to use throttle simultaneously with pulling to lean your sled. I exhausted myself from trying to muscle the sled over and not using throttle with it or not at the right time. Try and go to an area with small open hills or not heavily tread areas to practice. And I would never go by myself. Way to dangerous. Doing any sport back in the woods solo is very risky. Anything could happen. Yesterday my ski caught on the trail coming back at the end of the day and bucked me over the bars into a front flip over the edge of the road. Luckily a treel 6 feet down the cliff caught me.... or I would have gone 30 ft before hitting something. I wasn't going fast and it came out of no where. But it could have been bad. Always go with someone imo.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
You should consider taking a class or 2 in your area. There are beginner classes to learn how to mountain ride.

Some very simple pointers would be HUGE!

Once you learn to work with the sled and not try to fight it.... It all becomes so much easier!

Eric

I appreciate all yall input. this is tough for me. the 2 things that bother me the most is: is this enjoyable enough for me, and can i do this on my own, without the dipendence of others to go with.
Im a free spirit, i like to go whereever n whenever i please. I do that on my atv. i was plannin on it on the sled but after this weekend, it was clear i cant do that at all. diggin in high elevation is a total drag.

it just wasnt as enjoyable as i expected, so i dont know

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
on our last trip out we came upon 3 different meadows that were so flat and the snow was 2 ft deep or so and I just cant put into words how much fun you can have doing donuts and just going side to side in powder snow. it looks boring on a go-pro but wow its just the best fun you can have. keep going you will find yourself loving it but don't go alone!

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
It's dumb going in the back country alone, ATV, hiking, sled, whatever. There are just too many perils that can leave 1 person in a very bad situation.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
In the end... only you can make that decision.

And, I will never advocate riding in the backcountry alone.

I used to ride alone but would stay on
or near trails so if I got into trouble there would be a better chance of getting helped. But even that is a bad idea. Breakdowns can happen anytime in the back country, whether it be from mechanical failure or accidents. Small slopes can slide and if you are alone.... lets just say a lot of things can happen out there.

I don't ride alone anymore and if I can't get together with buds or find a small group to tag a long with I just don't go anymore....don't know if it wisdom or just age... :face-icon-small-ton

I've always said, people either love the sport or really don't care for it.

Good luck!

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Watch a YouTube video on countersteering.

Go out to a big open flat field.

Spend a tank or two of gas getting exhausted learning to counter steer.

Once you have that down. Sledding is easy.

You almost turn it more with the throttle and muscle it around. The track is like a gyroscope.

Premium Features