• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me choose a GPS

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
Just to clarify, the app I use and highly recommend is called backcountry navigator by critter maps.(still looks only to be available on android) I have yet to find something I like on the iPhone. Have you guys found something you like for iPhone?

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Just to clarify, the app I use and highly recommend is called backcountry navigator by critter maps.(still looks only to be available on android) I have yet to find something I like on the iPhone. Have you guys found something you like for iPhone?

Sorry for the confusion. You are right the Back country Navigator is not available for iPhone. I also could not find the neotreks app listed above. I found Gaia Gps: Topo Maps and Trails for offline hiking to be a great app. This is what I plan on using. For some reason I had a brain fart and typed Backcountry Navigator.

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
Gotcha, I did see that Gaia gps app. Do you plan on using it soon? I'd be curious how you like it. I'm in the east coast so won't be riding for another 3-4 weeks

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
I plan on using that and trying out the new free app by OnxMaps called ROAM. Roam was featured on the front page of Snowest and is designed by a team in Missoula, MT.

I'll be giving them both a try and will report back in the next 1-2 weeks.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Backcountry Navigator PRO

I am giving this app a try on the ATV riding during the offseason. It is only for Android and in just the little time i have tested it, the app works VERY well. Download maps via Wi-Fi and use offline. Turn location on, and leave phone in airplane mode. I use an older samsung galaxy S6 (not activated) for this. Tracks very well, can save tracks and waypoints just like the Garmin 650 i had. CalTOPO Maps have amazing detail. The only downside i can see at this point is that it uses the battery a bit more than i expected. May bring along one of those little battery packs in the winter or on a long hike . . .just in case. The ATV has a cigarette lighter plug for a car charger, so ATV riding will not be an issue with battery life.

I started a thread about this app and it would be nice to hear from those (in that thread) who have had some experience with it. There appears to be a bit of a learning curve to this one and i am just getting started :)

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
I have an iPhone 6. I bought Gaia GPS Maps for $20. It allows you to download and save all sorts of basemaps for offline use.

All iPhones from the 3S on I believe have GPS receivers built into them. Same with Samsung, etc. as you can see in the attached image, my phone was in airplane mode, because I was flying from Boise to Denver yesterday.

That said, we have been using the Garmin Rinos since they first came out in 2003. For me, there is no better way to keep track of your friends than with these radios. Being able to pole another's position if they are stuck or broken and you can't see them is invaluable. My wife and I have the 610s. I would recommend getting the 650 or 655 though. The 610 has 1 watt transmit in GMRS where the 650 and 655 have 5 watt. All have 0.5w transmit in FRS bands (ch 2-14).

I am with Sled Idaho and also use the GAIA app on my iPhone . Simple enough to use and easy to name way points and you can also take pictures of the way point surroundings or land mark and also add notes easily .
My phone stays inside my jacket chest pocket and tracks all day set to airplane mode with power to spare at the end of a long day .
I am sold on the Gaia app. One of the best $28 Canadian I have spent in a LONG time.

Premium Features