• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06' 900 mid throttle cutting out

M

meoget

Nov 9, 2014
Keweenaw
I am having the same exact problem. I have replaced everything you have and still no luck. Mine fouls out plugs though. I need to replace one spark plug every 30 miles. Needles to say, I quit riding it.

B

biggsy90

Jan 8, 2015
Fort Collins, CO
I think my problem is that when I replaced the injectors I only did the Mag side and that helped the idling problem, but I think the cutting out problem is coming from the PTO side. When I had it out this weekend, PTO side coil wire broke and clearly ran very weak, but didnt cut out at all. replaced the wire and then was cutting out again. Wish I had replace all the injectors first go round.

Guess the Bright side is that Im getting much faster at taking the engine out and putting it back in!!!

Last edited:

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Keep us updated

I had one similiar.

I replaced the Injector pig tail when I put it in a diffrent sled seemd to have cured it.

When I bought mine the motor had alot of work done it by HighMark in Boise.

It had no VES springs at all. Ran great. I put yellows in no mid no top end. I put whites in a little better.

I drilled the holes in the VES housings bigger.

Talked to one of there former Mechanics from Highmark last week. He still owns and rides a 900. ( Highmark was bought by Dennis Dillon)

With NO VES Springs at all.

For a quick test remove the VES Exhaust Springs completley. Ride it.

I think I am going to take mine back out.

B

biggsy90

Jan 8, 2015
Fort Collins, CO
Interesting. I may have to give that a try if this doesnt fix it. But, it started out very subtle and has gotten worse with every ride. I also tried different springs with no change at all. I have replaced the harness to the injectors as well.

I should have had it done and would have tried to ride this weekend, but broke the rear motor mounts taking the engine out. Red locktite and impact wrench were prob a bad idea for the rubber:face-icon-small-sho. Unlikely that I will get another chance to get it out this year, but hoping to. May not have an answer until next year. Dont let your kids ever play soccer! eats up all weekends

Last edited:
B

biggsy90

Jan 8, 2015
Fort Collins, CO
Got a chance to get it out for a short time this weekend and still not fixed. changed the PTO side injectors and harness. Almost seemed better, but still missing/surging/cutting out.

Didnt try taking the VES springs out, may try that next year.

Still stumped. I will try removing the exhaust valves again just to see what they look like

B

biggsy90

Jan 8, 2015
Fort Collins, CO
Fixed

Well, seems to be running pretty good now, not perfect, but very close. Thanks SixtySevenGT, taking the springs out completely might have solved it. Other thing I did was to clean the exhaust valves again, but they looked pretty good, but some carbon.

I ride at 10,000 feet and even the white springs were still causing the cut out.

had to yank the motor again to replace a broken steering shaft. Broke ath the bars while riding, now that is SCARY.

Thanks to all for the help. Really like riding this more than working on it! But of course now I have to get my other knee scoped. Sucks getting OLD!

Premium Features