• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DRIVE CLUTCH BALANCING DIFFERENCES

O

otterpoo

Jan 17, 2010
Far East, Maine
I just installed my primary and secondary which was fully serviced by Indy Specialties. I have put about 200 miles on the 900 and wish I had spent the money much sooner. The work is worth every penny with a customer service and knowledge that makes them even better to deal with. He had my clutch finshed within 2 days of him receiving it. I second every comment on IS clutch work above and look forward to more work in the future. Don't hesitate or go to the more inexpensive shop, just get it done by Indy Specialties.

M

Mech Engr

Sep 27, 2010
Mountains
clutch

Does anyone know off hand if Dan will install the weights and springs of choice when doing the balance or does he just use what you send in?

John

O

otterpoo

Jan 17, 2010
Far East, Maine
He may have what you need on hand or order it if you don't mind a few extra days wait. Let him know what you want him to do for work and parts, and he is worth the money spent. This is just MHO from my experience dealing with him, and you would have to speak with him to get the exact answer. Indy Specialty 651.388.9045.

Y
Oct 19, 2011
Does the stock clutch have any balance holes drilled in it? Just picked up a 05 900 and noticed it has a couple balance holes in it.
2011-10-20_13-49-59_297.jpg

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
Does the stock clutch have any balance holes drilled in it? Just picked up a 05 900 and noticed it has a couple balance holes in it.
2011-10-20_13-49-59_297.jpg

Yes they were but from factory they are very poorly balanced and not shimmed properly to belt. I just ordered me a brand new clutch from Dan shimmed, machined for 32mm crank and balanced, cannot wait for it to get in.

EDIT- Wow what happened to your clutch? a lot of stuff on the clutch can see and also where the belt contacts the clutch which is not good, needs a major cleaning, secondary also if the face of it is same.

Last edited:
J

JaySch

Feb 4, 2014
Missoula, MT
This is my first post to the Snowest forum as I am a first time owner of a sled, that being an 05 Anniversary edition RMK 900. After reading this thread this evening, I felt it needed to be mentioned that Dan (IndyDan of Indy Specialties) has been gracious enough to answer my calls twice now, answering my sophomoric questions to help guide me through the build of my sled.

This afternoon, while speaking with him, Dan really took the time to answer my questions without leaving me feeling like I was being rushed off the phone. The last thing I want to do is waste the time of a small businessman, especially when I haven't sent him a single penny his way... yet! This sled does need to be , without a doubt, dependable. My plans are to use it with the local Search and Rescue team and it must remain an asset, and not a liability.

Individuals, such as Dan, and so many others that are willing to share their knowledge and experience (in Dan's case, the many reviews from so many satisfied customers that back up his knowledge and experience) deserve our support when we can give it to them, Dan certainly has deserved mine. Not only will Dan be doing my clutch, I will also be purchasing his Torque Master 1 lower crank case assembly.

When you think about it, the $95 difference between a dependable clutch job done right and a "bubble job" is not that great, especially as that $30 clutch eats itself and possibly your crank, 20-some-odd miles up into the high country as a storm rolls in. This is when you realize that extra $95 may have actually been your first and best chance to save some bacon, including your own!

I don't mean to revive an old thread, but I want to say to IndyDan, MountainHorse, and the others who contribute good information to this forum, Thank you, and to all out there, be safe out there.

Premium Features