• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Runs better with choke on

Jan 22, 2011
utah
Ok I got a 2003 800 Rmk it runs very poorly and wants to die. I open the choke and it comes to life. Ok so seems like a fuel issue to me checked everything from filter pump carbs slides needle all jets no kinked lines any help with this as to maybe something I'm missing

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
You could check your tank vent lines also but it sounds like you have a plugged cicuit in the carbs. If you check them again make sure you use compressed air to blow them out while cleaning.

Jan 22, 2011
utah
Choke on

Yes agreed I will do carbs again and blow them all out. I took vent line completely off and same issue. Thanks for the quick reply

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
history

When did the poor running start?

Just to clarify, the "choke" on snowmobiles isn't really a "choke" like on a lawn mower carb. Choke on lifts the enrichment rods on the carbs, and dumps extra fuel rather than "choking" off the air supply. Different means to the same end of making a fuel rich condition.

I'll agree, sounds like something is plugged. Will it run at higher RPM/load without choke on? What are your air & fuel screws at (how many turns out from a light seat)?

Jan 22, 2011
utah
Choke on

It does good for about 10 min then it wants to die like out of gas I open coke lever and it clears up and runs great then after a few minutes it runs poor. It has been running excellent till today. I run 360 main screws 2 1/2 turns out its been doing awesome till this started its jetting is spot on for where I ride. I am going to make sure my pilot or starter jet not plugged tomorrow

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Check inside the tank, the fuel pickup line has a fine mesh screen that may be partially plugged up.

Just sounds like float bowls are full, then the sled burns all the fuel in them, and for some reason they are not filling back up fast enough to keep a steady fuel supply.

Are the needle and seat assemblies working freely?

Jan 22, 2011
utah
Choke on

I will pull it completely down tomorrow and check needles, floats, mesh filter in tank. I am completely going to go thru carbs and clean every jet with jet cleaning nozzles to ensure all is clean

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
check boot integrity etc...maybe even spray some starting fluid around crank seal while running to see if it isn;t starting to lean ya out..

Jan 22, 2011
utah
Choke on

Ok boys I got it the dam sled was brought to me to be worked on after all the great info from you guys here (thanks again) but all the things checked jets, needle,floats,boots,fuel pump,mesh filter in tank, vent line... Etc I decided to look one more time in tank for anything I was missing and the fuel looked different to me so I called the owner to ask one last thing. I said how olds your fuel he says its new I even pre-mixed to be safe.....Ok so I look at oil pump its wide open so.... Pre mix and oil injected well way to much oil.... Grrrrrr

Premium Features