• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Team (98) secondary running Temp????

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Sled is a 2002 800 RMk (West Montana - 4000 - 7500 ft)

Question: What temp should this clutch run at when tuned in. (including alignment). I think it is running too hot. Primary runs nice and cool. I will check the clutch with a heat sensing gun to get an exact temp. Has anyone used a heat sensor gun to know the temp of their team secondary (verticle escape) runs at?????

Setup:

Primary: Slp Blue/Red spring, 62 gram weights, clutch is Balanced,

Secondary Team 98 - Black/Purple spring (just change to this from Red/black spring due to belt slippage), 66-40-46 Helix.

Gearing: 19 / 43 (2.27) considering going up to 20T on top for a 2.15 ratio

Engine has after market torq stops, (brad's) single engine mount plate and the clutch offset is currently about .020. Bearings and crank just completed.

I just want to take a moment here and thank everyone. My son and I have basicly rebuilt our sleds this year...skids, clutches, carbs. It was a great son/father experience and we have learned a lot. We could not have gotten thru all of it with out all those who have been so kind as to provide answers to our many posts. THANK YOU!!! We are now to the fine tuning phase of our clutches and it is going well.........just not sure about the temp of my team clutch. Trying to dial it all in.

Last edited:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Glad you two have been working together. I have lots of good memories of wrenching with my dad, whether it was his sleds when I was very young, my bikes as a young teen, my truck when I was older, or these days just picking his brain about how to work on nearly anything.

My 04' 800 with Team 98, I can hold my hand to the clutches after ripping around. Not sure on exact temperatures. They are just cool enough to hold my bare hand too, much warmer and I wouldn't be able to do that.
I ride between 8500-11500 (usually) with 10-60s, bright green primary Team spring, black/purple Team secondary spring, and 64-42-36 helix. I do have a 174" track though, so I run 19/43 in the chaincase even with the 7t 3.0" drivers (top speed of 72mph or so).

Sounds like your getting close. What track do you have?

I thought clutch offset was supposed to be 0.625" with some float, but I haven't seen a manual in a while. Are you saying the belt side clearance in the primary is 0.020"?

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
My secondary is to hot to lay a bare hand on (for more than a quick touch)after running hard. I have just extended my track to a 151.

The SLP recommended clutch offset with the SLP torq stops is .000 to .020. Which is way tighter than stock. Once I am done messing with springs and gears...I will fine tune the offset and float...I say this thinking it is fine now, but taking the wait and see.

I wish I had a great understanding of the helix 66-40-46.........Still a mystery to me on how that all works......

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
those teams would make the sled pull a lot harder down the trail, but i eventually took mine off and went back the stock button on my 02 151 for a couple reasons, heat was a big one. awsome trail clutch though.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Do you know what helix were you running? Did you experiemnt at all?
i honestly dont remember, was too many beers ago:) only experimenting i did was from one clutch to the other. they did require a different alignment iirc. backcountry riding is all i care about, but if i rode lots of fast groomed trails in between i might stick with the team.
the new tied design sounds like something to try on a sled in the future

Premium Features